Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default A Peaceful Image

When I work with emetophobics in therapy one of the things we do near the beginning is to decide on a peaceful image/scene that they can imagine. For many people its a beach. For some, a cabin in the mountains. Believe it or not the brain doesn't know the difference between seeing a scene with your eyes and remembering (or imagining) the scene itself. The great thing about this is that you can use this phenomenon to help you with your anxiety. It's not an "instant cure" or "quick fix" however. It takes time, so you need to stay with it.

If you could imagine the most peaceful place in the universe (real, remembered or imagined) where would it be? Would you be alone or with someone else?
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: A Peaceful Image

My therapist used visualisation of this kind as a sort of exposure, because the brain doesn't know the difference between seeing it and imagining what it might be like. I was feeling just as anxious in a room with my therapist as I would if I were actually in the situation. I also use the relaxing scene when I need to calm down along with deep breathing. I love it, it's amazing how the brain works

I sometimes imagine myself laying face down on a dock in my bathing suit after a swim in a lake with the sun beating down on me. I don't use it to relax, it just pops in my head and I think 'I wish I had a cottage'. Maybe I should start using it though!
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

The therapist that tried to do relaxation with me had me visualize being someplace where I felt peaceful and safe. I said I pictured being curled up and warm in bed with my husband and my cat. She said that was wrong, that it can't be inside and someone else can't be there. I gave up.
    Last edited by wargerbil; 05-27-2011 at 04:10 PM.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Wargerbil: that's just crazy! My very own "peaceful image" was at home in my favorite chair, sitting in PJs on a cold night with a blanket and a cat and a crackling fire. Although if I were anxious again I might change it to a cabin in the mountains....

I always ask people if they're alone in their peaceful place, or if someone else is there with them.

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

My "happy place" has gotten me through many challenges, for sure.
    I'm on the back deck of a cabin in the southern Appalachian Mountains, wrapped in a thick hand-stitched quilt with a cup of steaming coffee in my hand. It's Autumn, and the trees are all deep shades of red and orange. My daughter is playing on a circular stone formation just past the edge of the woods, hopping from rock to rock, and the birds are harmonizing with the trickle of a small stream nearby.

So, I'm not technically alone...but I'm not interacting with anyone. I only live a couple of hours from the mountains, and always tell myself that if I just make it through *whatever is happening at the moment*, then I am one day closer to a mountainside retreat in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    Wargerbil: that's just crazy! My very own "peaceful image" was at home in my favorite chair, sitting in PJs on a cold night with a blanket and a cat and a crackling fire. Although if I were anxious again I might change it to a cabin in the mountains....

I always ask people if they're alone in their peaceful place, or if someone else is there with them.
    She was a bit of a crackpot. The new guy seems better... so far.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

jamie that is an awesome image. I forget about autumn, as most people choose "summer" (i.e. a tropical beach) or winter. Although one woman had a more "spring" image of a field of spring flowers with a stream running by. The autumn one is beautiful though.

As well as saying you are "closer" to the peaceful place if you make it through "this" you can also say to yourself "if I were there [in your peaceful place] would I feel sick?" Often the answer is immediately "no!" This can begin a cycle of calming you down.

My place? Atop a mountain, probably Whistler. Sunny day, the snow is gleaming, and I am alone with my snowboard ... It's the place I feel most calm and relaxed.

lizzo, that's beautiful too - I can well imagine it. Oh ya and also....GO CANUCKS GO!

My peaceful place is floating on a raft in a pool in my back yard with a nice drink waiting for me when I get out (preferably a cocktail of some sort). I just love the feeling of calm that comes over me when I'm floating in the water on a quiet day and having the sun beat down on me. Hearing the birds chirping and the children play in the street is nice background noise as well.
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

That's amazing. I love it too! (So many peaceful choices - lol)