Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Water bottle incident...im scared.

An hour ago i accidently drank from an opened water bottle that has been laying around since yesterday afternoon. Now im scared that i will get sick. Im thinking of the backwash and saliva someone left inside that bottle!!

Default Re: Water bottle incident...im scared.

Quote Originally Posted by PsyNerd22 View Post
    An hour ago i accidently drank from an opened water bottle that has been laying around since yesterday afternoon. Now im scared that i will get sick. Im thinking of the backwash and saliva someone left inside that bottle!!
    Where was this bottle at? Your house? If you're worried about getting a stomach virus you wont., because the virus is not transmitted through saliva, if you're worried about bacteria, one day will not hurt you promise! I leave powerade, tea, soda, water in my car for up to a week or more maybe? Its gross but you'll be fine.
    This too, shall pass

Hi stephanie (thats my sisters name )

Yea it was at my house. Im worried about the germs. Really? you do?

That gives me a bit of comfort. Thank you. It just really grosses me out.

I think you'll be fine so please don't worry. I always have a bottle/glass of water next to my bed and finishing it off is usually the first thing I do on waking, even though it will have been there all night.

However, I can also do much better than that. To cut a very long story short, I recently mistakenly drank from a bottle that had been lying around at home for...wait for it...SIX days. The water tasted okay and it was only after I'd finished it that I looked at and realised that it wasn't my fresh bottle at all and actually the one from the previous Sunday...help!!

However, you can probably guess the punchline. Nothing happened. Nothing at all. I guess that the moral of the story is that water doesn't really go off in the way that milk does, so...

Aww thank you Orton99 for sharing your experience. You were both were right...nothing happen I do have acid reflux so the anxiety really triggered my symptoms but im doing a lot better today.

Plain water doesn't go bad or become a breeding ground for germs! I leave a glass of water by my bedside and just sip at it over the course of many days until it either gets dust in it or I run out. Unless someone comes over and dumps e.coli or something else in the water it should be safe to drink pretty much forever, though it would taste like plastic. It has to actually be contaminated with something to make you sick. The bacteria from your mouth can't multiply there since they have no nutrient to multiply in. It doesn't matter how old water is, it's fine. There's no need to treat water like a perishable. Other than for taste purposes you don't need to dump your water and get new water. It's water. Not meat products. I've been using the same Nalgene bottle for goodness knows how many years now having never washed the thing or taken the time to dump it's contents, I just fill it back up if I finish it.
    Last edited by person54321; 05-27-2011 at 11:43 PM.