Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Agoraphobic Because of Emetophobia

Is anyone else agoraphobic because of emetophobia? I'm not housebound but I am areabound.

Yesterday I missed my neice's wedding because the location was WAY past my comfort zone. I had said that I would go because when I received the invitation I was feeling pretty good and confident that I could push through my issues in order to be there for my neice. But when the day came, emetophobia won again. I called my sister to apologize, but even though my family has known for the whole 26 years that I've beenn emetophobic/agoraphobic, I still get the cold shoulder when I can't make it to things like family weddings. Had the location been closer, I would have gone. But, obviously, they chose what location suits them, not me.

As I said, I did call to apologize. I'm not sure what more to do or even if I should do anything more at this point. Do I apologize again? Do I let it go and hope my sister, neice and the whole family get over it? I am so tired of having to apologize profusely for a medical condition that is for the most part out of my control. My sister has rheumatoid arthritis, a physical condition that is very visible when one looks at her joints... she never has to apologize and nobody ever gives her the cold shoulder when she can't, for example, participate in a family hike in the woods. Everyone knows it's painful for her to be on her feet and walk for any length of time, so they leave her alone. But because my "illness" is invisible, I'm made to feel, each and every time, like it's not legitimate even though my agoraphobia/emetophobia is much more debiliatating than her arthritis.

Maybe I am being selfish and just feeling sorry for myself, I don't know. Okay, I'll stop ranting. Thanks for "listening". It helps to get it off my chest.

Default Re: Agoraphobic Because of Emetophobia

i am also agoraphobic but not nearly as bad as emetephobic. i actually probably dont even have it anymore, or maybe its just calmed down, but mine started in highschool in 10th grade. one day i just started freaking out about walking down the halls. it was an exposure thing. i felt like i couldnt feel my legs, i had to hold onto the wall, i got that feeling as if you are up high and your going to fall. it was so scary. it went away junior year, came back senior year for a little bit. i would get it while walking in the malls too. but only happened if i was alone. i felt so exposed. then i used to get it at work sometimes. i do hair, so i would start to freakout that i was being too exposed with the client. i would turn them away from the mirror, and just be panicky the whole time. nowadays i dont have it at all. i can walk the mall by myself and i go everywhere. thankfully. i hope it gets better for you!! i dont know how mine went away so easily maybe it just wasnt that bad to start off with..good luck

I know how you feel there...

I had a safety zone as well, no more than 20 minutes to 30 minutes away from my area... I just couldn't go. Some times, my parents would force me but I'd be panicking all the way there, and back.

More recently, my agoraphobia has gotten worse. I haven't left my house for nearly 4 months, and I haven't stepped foot outside my door for almost a month and a half..
    It's not as bad as my Emetophobia, but it's getting worse every day. It's been very difficult to manage.

Hope all works out with you! I know exactly how you're feeling <3

i'm more areabound......do fine around here.....go to work, out with friends, etc. but when my dad was sick and dying i was unable to travel the 3000 miles to be with him. my parents and i had discussed all this a few years before he died and they totally understood........but i still have alot of guilt about it. i have a sister with rheumatoid arthritis as well and you are so right....she never has to explain herself . funny though that since my dad passed away she hasn't spoken to me.....been 5 years and her and i used to be really close.

i do better on spur of the moment trips........if i have too much time to plan or think about something i usually back out. i've been to nyc several times....10 hour drive for me........but they were literally last minute ideas and we packed up and left......no problem.

someday i will beat this
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do better on the spur of the moment things too. If I have time to think about it, I'll think myself out of it.

Thanks everyone. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

I prefer to stay within easy reach of home. When my emet was really really bad the year before last I hardly left the house except to go to drs appointments. Thankfully this has eased up quite a bit and Im actually working again (just a 10-15 min drive away). Several weeks ago I travelled 200 miles by train to visit my sister who has been given less than 12 months to live. I did get anxious about the trip but I needed to see her. Im also planning on another trip up there to see her in 3 weeks and this time Im staying for a couple of days. Im just telling myself to suck it up and that its something I need to do.

Only if my children are with me. I fear them getting sick more than I do me. Weird, but true.

I used to be agoraphobic, like would only leave the apartment to get food that I needed to eat to survive. Then I met my wonderful therapist, she helped me a lot. She told me to go out every day, once a day, even if it was only for an hour. Every time, go a little further than my comfort zone, even if I only stayed there for five minutes. I really worked on it with her and she was amazing with helping me. Before I knew it I was traveling long distances and meeting new people. I understand where you are coming from though and I hope that you are able to overcome it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman