Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mirtazapine - My new anti-depressant! People need to know about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Suck it up princess. View Post
    I'm really happy you found something that works so well for you! I'm sure it does for a lot of people. But for me, antidepressants make me feel like I'm psychotic, not to mention totally baked. Those are feelings that increase my anxiety hugely so even if this has antiemetic properties, I will not be trying it or any other antidepressant ever. I prefer to have a clear head than to walk around feeling medicated and crazy.
    Amen to that. I've tried so many medications. Most of them make me feel like a zombie, or at a minimum, put my head in a cloud. I absolutely hate it! Unfortunately with my recent relapse in anxiety, I have to take medication in order for me to function like I used to.
    Life is a wonderful ride.

Am on day 4 of taking this med and my foolish brain is over thinking continuing taking it, I have 'just in case' syndrome!! Would love to say this post helped but it has kind of been half and half in helping. Part of me wants to beat this by myself without meds, then a bad hour makes me willing to do anything to get my head out of the mess it's in. Help?!

I recently started another thread on this topic because I could not find this one. I was just prescribed Remeron yesterday. I don't suffer from depression, but do have some major anxiety (which tends to hit me at night when i'm trying to relax). I often fall asleep ok and wake up in the middle of the night in a panic.

I'm also slightly concerned about the weight gain. As a former anorexic, I have been trying to stay at a healthy weight and did well for 5 years, but I lost nearly 20 pounds in the last year. Would like to put on a little more, but I hope I can control it. I'm only 4' 11" and I don't exercise much other than a weekly dance class.

I am concerned with the grogginess, so I am trying it tomorrow night because I don't work weekends and hopefully it would be better by Monday.

I am glad to see so many of you had positive experiences.

Smile Re: Mirtazapine - My new anti-depressant! People need to know about it!

I hope this might help you. I was prescribed 45Mg mitrazapine since 1996. I had previously tried Prozac and several other SSRI type of anti-depressants. I have been taking mirtazapine 45Mg continuously since 1996, apart from a break of one year (2004-2005). Mitazapine was known in the UK as "Zispin" when I first began taking it. It is now produced generically by several manufacturers, so the branding/name will be different. I have NEVER had ANY side-effects whilst taking mirtazapine. It has NEVER cuased any sickness, light-headedness, headaches or any other problems. The only thing I would wish to alert new patients to is this: the first time I ever took mirtazapine, I was sitting alone on my sofa watching TV at around 7pm. The next thing I knew, it was 7am and I was still sitting on the sofa, with the TV still on! It had knocked me out for 12 hours, but was the depest sleep I've had in many years! This sudden sleeping only happened the very first time I took mirtazapine, it has never happened since, and also did not happen even after resuming the drug after stopping it for a year back in 2005. During the one year I stopped taking it I became very suicidal for a week or so and had trouble sleeping and had noticeable mood swings, so I know it works for me.
    Mirtazapine has been a 'life saver' for me in every way. I no longer get so deeply depressed that I cannot function. I no longer have suicidal thoughts. It also very slightly helps me to get to sleep at night, but I still wake up to go to the bathromm every few hours! I am 61 now and the psychiatrists continue to tell me I must take mirtzapine 45Mg for the rest of my life. I had some terrible side-effects with the other Prozac-type drugs (SSRI's such as fluoxetine etc), with nausea, headaches, upset tummy, stiffness and other nasty things. But I've never had a side effect with mirtazapine. To me it is a "wonder drug"! It keeps me calm, a bit more relaxed, but my mind still works perfectly (I hope!) . I think the way it works is very subtle, it just seems to stop the worst of the low mood swings etc. I have not had any problems with putting on weight or eating more, but I've always had a "sweet tooth"! That's about all I can think of to say about mirtazapine, and I've been totally honest about it ~ hope this helps someone...

i'd rather fight hunger than meet/anxiety/n*
    i'm quite busy anyway and already struggle to eat enough so mirtazapine might actually be good!

I tried paroxetine back when I was 17 (6yrs ago) and it did nothing, i didn't feel any different, didn't have any effect on panic or anxiety.

mirtazapine was the first drug i took, at about 14. it was perfect, because at the time i was severely underweight, and it did help me put on a bit of weight. the other great thing about it was for the first time in my life i could sleep at night!! so for those two reasons it was great. unfortunatly though, it didn't do much for anxiety at all, and i went off it about a year ago. but, different meds work for different people, and by the sounds of it, most of you guys who have been on mitazapine have gotten a better

I am on Celexa, which has helped a lot. No side effects from it! Except a little anxiety and insomnia the first week. It didn't stop me from taking it. It seems to be helping. Glad you found something that you like!
    Tumblr :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

Going to bump this thread up. For the ladies out there did Mirtzapine mess up your menstrual cycle at all?? :/

Hello there, I have read through all of the comments. I have been on it for 9 months now and incredible difference from the previous medication I was on. I can finally sleep. A bit too much, which was a big problem at first. It would take me up to 3 hours from when I first wake up in the morning(and this is only possible with the alarm clock) to get myself out of the bed. Still struggling with it but now I can sleep, I couldn't do it before. As I read through the comments-what seems to repeat is weight gain. I exercise 1.5 hours per day every day (unless I really can't have that time free in the day). I eat once a day and have low calorie snacks in the day (fruit, nuts) and drink water only. It's my normal diet. In the past few months have gained around 5kg of weight that I just can't get rid of. So my question to anyone that could give me an answer-could this antidepressant give you extra weight even if you don't eat more than usual? Someone mentioned that does smth to women hormones? Otherwise-in terms of depression and sleep-really a God sent medication but be very careful not to skip any days as (in my case) it takes the same amount of time for body to adapt to it as the first time I took it. Also-I have to have the same routine, take in the same time etc which makes the life quite boring but then again-mental health much more important. Please let me know about he weight.

BUMP!

Hey I haven't been on in a while. Have been on mirtazapine for about 1 month now. At a dose of 7.5 mg. I would like to wean off but of course have read some terrible withdrawl symptoms from ppl online. I shouldn't have done that but it's hard not to look it up. Anyways, has anyone successfully weaned off with minimal withdrawl?

Thanks guys

Hey at 7.5mg you should be fine but if it makes you feel better talk to your doc about tapering. I'm taking 7.5 every other night for a week before stopping it (tapered from 45mg). My psychiatrist told me most people just stop taking it at 15mg but I've had probs being on mirt and wanted to take it more slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by klm142 View Post
    Hey at 7.5mg you should be fine but if it makes you feel better talk to your doc about tapering. I'm taking 7.5 every other night for a week before stopping it (tapered from 45mg). My psychiatrist told me most people just stop taking it at 15mg but I've had probs being on mirt and wanted to take it more slowly.

Thank you! Have you found it's been ok every other night?

I've been a bit headachy and off but the higher dose made me dizzy everyday so I'm obviously just one of those tiny minority of people who they don't agree with. I think you'll be absolutely fine seeing as you've not been on them long and it was such a low dose.

Quote Originally Posted by punchbuggy View Post
    Thank you! Have you found it's been ok every other night?

I've been on SSRI's for over 10 years and when they added Mirtazapine things went downhill for me. I started getting really depressed. I tapered off of it without any noticeable side effects recently.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

Thank you. I am sorry things went down hill for you with mirt. I appreciate the input. I think I will have to keep taking them for a while to restore my weight but I don't plan to increase the dose at all.

Appreciate the responses thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by jptk View Post
    I've been on SSRI's for over 10 years and when they added Mirtazapine things went downhill for me. I started getting really depressed. I tapered off of it without any noticeable side effects recently.

I'm just starting on mirtazapine, I'm coming off amitriptyline at the same time.
    I was on 150mg of amitriptyline but now I'm on 100mg and 15mg of mirtazapine.
    I have to stay on this for a week and then go on to 50mg amitriptyline and 30mg of mirtazapine for another week and then go back to the doctors.
    I've not had much of a problem apart from being sleepy and last night I had a bad ibs attack with 5 hours on the loo, but that happens quite often anyway so I can't nail that down to mirtazapine.
    Hope this helps me as I've been steadily getting worse with depression and anxiety while on the amittryptylene.
    A lot of my anxiety is caused by my aspergers so it'll never truly be fixed by tablets, but if it dulls it I'll be happy.

Caz xxx

Quote Originally Posted by krissiruvi View Post
    Hey guys!

About one week ago, I started a new medication. It's called Axit, but in the USA, UK/other part of Europe I'm sure it's under a different name. It's name - Mirtazapine.
    Mirtazapine is an antidepressant, but it was prescribed to me by my new doctor, for anxiety AND emetophobia..
    It is... something truly amazing.
    Not only is it an anti-depressant, anti-anxiety drug... it's also, wait for it... anti-emetic! It helps you to go to sleep and stay asleep, it gives you an appetite, it helps you feel safer, and in general your mood improves.
    n* and v* are NOT listed side effects of this drug, at all. It's a miracle, I didn't think I would ever find something that didn't have n* and v* as a side effect, especially for an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication.
    Google mirtazapine, have a look for yourself.
    Some people have excess sleepiness throughout the day, but I only had that the first couple of nights. I just couldnt get enough sleep! However, insomnia is ALSO a side effect, and I've had that as well.. Just last week I was awake 36+ hours straight, could not fall asleep... and since I felt fine, I thought there was something wrong with me that I hadn't noticed yet... silly silly me.
    But anyway, have a look, and maybe it can help someone as well.

I wish i could- but i dont do medication
    May your dreams be bigger than your fears