Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Mirtazapine - My new anti-depressant! People need to know about it!

Hey guys!

About one week ago, I started a new medication. It's called Axit, but in the USA, UK/other part of Europe I'm sure it's under a different name. It's name - Mirtazapine.
    Mirtazapine is an antidepressant, but it was prescribed to me by my new doctor, for anxiety AND emetophobia..
    It is... something truly amazing.
    Not only is it an anti-depressant, anti-anxiety drug... it's also, wait for it... anti-emetic! It helps you to go to sleep and stay asleep, it gives you an appetite, it helps you feel safer, and in general your mood improves.
    n* and v* are NOT listed side effects of this drug, at all. It's a miracle, I didn't think I would ever find something that didn't have n* and v* as a side effect, especially for an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication.
    Google mirtazapine, have a look for yourself.
    Some people have excess sleepiness throughout the day, but I only had that the first couple of nights. I just couldnt get enough sleep! However, insomnia is ALSO a side effect, and I've had that as well.. Just last week I was awake 36+ hours straight, could not fall asleep... and since I felt fine, I thought there was something wrong with me that I hadn't noticed yet... silly silly me.

But anyway, have a look, and maybe it can help someone as well.

Default Re: Mirtazapine - My new anti-depressant! People need to know about it!

I take it as well and have noticed a huge diffenrence! I was at first concerned about weight gain, but I have not seen a difference in my weight and I sleep so much better at night!!! It was perscribed to me because there was no n* or v* as a side effect. About a month after I started taking it they also started me on luvox because I was still feeling anxiuos during the day, the doctor told me that it has a n* and v* side effect but since I am on mirtazapine it would keep that from happening and it did!!!

My anxiety is during the night, like now.. it keeps me really relaxed throughout the day though!
    I haven't gained any weight which is great as well

Is luvox a bromazapam? or similar?

I'm glad it's helping you!

I am not sure if luvox is a bromazapam or not. I know she gave it to me for OCD.

I`ve tried several anti depressants in the past because my gp had said that they were helpful for panic attacks. None of them helped, & the last one I tried made me very nauseous, it was called Sertraline, & it put me off anti-depressants for good. I feel much better without the drugs anyway.

I've only tried one medication, Lexapro, and I hate it. I've stopped taking it until I can get an appointment with my GP to change over. They GP keeps telling me that fluoxetine is the only other one they can prescribe but I think that seems like crap, personally. I may have to talk to my psych, too, see if she can make a recommendation.

I was on mirtazapine for about 2 months and it was wonderful, other than a few days of grogginess. I loved that there were no side effects and it really helped my anxiety tremendously. The bad news is it tends to increase your appetite and affects your metabolism; I gained 12 pounds on it and was taken off because of it (I usually am very slender so I guess 12 pounds was a lot for me). It really works wonderfully for anxiety though.

I know I love love love love this pill. The only down fall is it makes me feel like I'm completely baked when it kicks in. And then I get the munchies and it's like my stomach is a bottomless pit. And the next day I'm kind of foggy and hungry. But I don't feel sick with it and it completely knocks out my anxiety of being sick.

Quote Originally Posted by krissiruvi View Post

Not only is it an anti-depressant, anti-anxiety drug... it's also, wait for it... anti-emetic! It helps you to go to sleep and stay asleep, it gives you an appetite, it helps you feel safer, and in general your mood improves.
    n* and v* are NOT listed side effects of this drug, at all. It's a miracle, I didn't think I would ever find something that didn't have n* and v* as a side effect, especially for an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication.

But anyway, have a look, and maybe it can help someone as well.
    Hi,

It so wonderful to hear that you have found something that is both anti-anxiety/depressant and antiemetic. I did have a look and when I searched for english results on google and then on pubmed it did seem very hopeful. I have not been able to try any medication for my problems since I was 16, so if there is something I could try that would be great. But when I looked through the side effects in my own country, n* and v* are listed as common side effects. And that must have been added sometime in the last couple of years, because it wasn't listed as a side effect when my husband had them a few years ago.

I don't really know what to make of the conflicting information...it's really confusing to me.

I gained a massive amount of weight when I started taking that medication. But I was severely underweight when I started it, so it was ok. But when I went back on it years later, I had to stop taking it due to weight gain. I was constantly craving sweets, and gaining a LOT, quickly, even though I was trying like crazy to keep my calories low and exercise. It messed me up.

N* and v* are often listed as side-effects even when they won't have that effect on the majority of people. I think Sage wrote an article explaining why, but I don't know where to find it now! It was like a blog entry. It was really interesting - about medical trials and such. Most medications seem to list it but it's not really a common effect with most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by cinque View Post
    N* and v* are often listed as side-effects even when they won't have that effect on the majority of people. I think Sage wrote an article explaining why, but I don't know where to find it now! It was like a blog entry. It was really interesting - about medical trials and such. Most medications seem to list it but it's not really a common effect with most of them.
    I just think that they would have listed it from the start then? Not added it several years later? I still find it puzzling that it can be antiemetic and have vomiting as side effect.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelle View Post
    I still find it puzzling that it can be antiemetic and have vomiting as side effect.
    Migraine pills have migraine as a side effect, my anti depressants have depression as a side effect and my cough medicine have sore throat as a side effect. It`s just the way it is
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    ~Herm Albright

I would like to look into this medicine because my anti-depression medication is not the best but do you know if it is child safe?

I lol'd at what PinkP said! It's so true. Other anti-emetics like gravol (dramamine) also list nausea and vomiting as possible side effects. It's ridiculous. I think it's because they have to list absolutely everything that anyone in the experimental group (the ones that got the drug) experienced during the trial. SO....even if they got nauseous or vomited due to bad food or illness or whatever they would have to list it.

This could explain why the information changed - they conducted another trial once it was on the market for a while. Sounds like a drug that would NOT cause nausea and vomiting. Especially if it increases appetite. Wow - lots of emets I know could really benefit from that!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I was on this medication years ago and felt absolutely wonderful. So good I came off it, went and tried it agan months later and felt sick for a day. Well once I feel sick I tend to stop the medication. This post has made me think about taking it again. I have real bad anxiety and depression, so even if I am sick for a few days it will be so well worth it

I want to believe what you guys are saying, that it probably doesn't really have vomiting as a side effect...but I don't know. The equivalent of dramamine doesn't list vomiting as a side effect in my country so maybe it works differently in different countries, some list far more side effects than there actually are as some sort of precaution...maybe to prevent lawsuits?

I don't think that I'm brave enough to take the risk...but I hope that others are and find this medicine helpful; if so please share your experiences.

People react differently to medication, so if one person says it makes her sick, it might not make you sick because everybody's bodies are different and react to different things in different ways.
    And when you start a new medication it`s totally normal to feel a little off, or very off, depending on the medication. That`s why the doctors recommend increasing the dose little by little, and then decreasing it when you go off, that way the chance of getting sick is smaller.

I just read the list on side effect on this medication in Europe vs the one in the US and it`s pretty much the same. Ours list a few that yours don`t, and it doesn`t state anywhere that it reduces nausea here, but it`s the same medication.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    ~Herm Albright

Just back from GP as I have bad anxiety and has put me on 30mg avanza, take it before bed. Bit afraid of the initial side effects but hopefully I can get through them, its hard with side effects, personally I dont work so am able to persist, anything is better than how i feel at the moment

Hi all,

This sounds like a really interesting post! I'm new to the forum in terms of posting but have been reading some of the posts especially in moments of panic; I find other people's reassurance so comforting even in other people's situations.

I think its wonderful that you've found Mirtazapine; as well as anxiety and my emet, I also have depression but have struggled to take medication as I have beliefs that 'I should not get better' and that 'I deserve to feel like this' and that 'I am a bad person'. I have been on Fluoxetine, Sertraline and was tried on Mirtazapine. Mirtazapine is by the far the most appealing because of the benefits for the anxiety and anti-emet but my depression gets in the way of me taking that. I realise that to many of you my thoughts might seem illogical and even I can see it to some extent, however this "barrier" just will not seem to be broken.

However, I found this post quite inspiring and sparked a little bit of something inside to maybe start the meds.. I know I most likely won't but hey.. I'm really glad it's helping some of you!

Jasmine

Jasmine I feel similar in that I'm scared the meds will make me feel N* or even more depressed but when I'm having a bad moment I just think they can't make me feel any worse than this! I turned down therapy and meds at my last appointment but I'm going to be brave tomorrow and let her give me something. Mild mind you, just beta blockers or something (anti-depressants scare me!).

I just started taking this medication last night and let me tell you, I'm a complete zombie. I took the medication around 9 PM and it's now almost 2 in the afternoon the next day and all I wanna do is sleep. I'll be taking only half a pill tonight because I want to be awake tomorrow.

On a side note, the medication has not caused and nausea or anything like that which is awesome. Just some MAJOR grogginess. I've had to respell almost every word I've typed out because I just can't concentrate.
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

Mumof2, yes I am terrified of antidepressants although I realise if I did take them, things would be a lot easier re my anxiety and emet however my brain isn't quite at that point yet. I'm not very informed on all medications, what are beta blockers? Are they purely just for anxiety and do they have any benefits on n*?

I'm having therapy for my depression (which I know contradicts my reasoning behind being "unable" to take meds) but my therapist doesn't seem to have touch the subject of this phobia, and I don't think she realises how much it dominates lives!

Cupcake x, I felt exactly the same when I first tried out these meds however because I didn't take them consistently, the effects didn't wear off. So hopefully after a few days, this should wear off. Also, try taking your tablets a little earlier? My psychiatrist also said that the lower the dosage of Mirtazapine, the greater the side effects however they usually start people on a low dose and then if they respond well, may increase the dosage. However, I don't know if that is applicable if the meds are used for anxiety /emet use, as mine was administered primarily for depression..

Jasmine

I have stopped taking the medication now. I felt like I was having out of body experiences when I was taking it and I can't afford to be feeling like that 24/7 with a 19 month old and taking summer classes. Hopefully it works for other people but the side effects weren't worth it for me.
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

Quote Originally Posted by 4077girl View Post
    I gained a massive amount of weight when I started taking that medication. But I was severely underweight when I started it, so it was ok. But when I went back on it years later, I had to stop taking it due to weight gain. I was constantly craving sweets, and gaining a LOT, quickly, even though I was trying like crazy to keep my calories low and exercise. It messed me up.
    Mirtazapine is notorious for causing significant weight gain and metabolic syndrome. Yes, it may be have antiemetic properties but it can have some other pretty nasty side effects. I guess it depends on the person, but for me it wouldn't be worth it to gain 50+ pounds and become prediabetic or diabetic and not suffer anxiety.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

I couldn't afford to put on another 50 pounds, I would then become desperately unhealthy, I think. Those side effects aren't worth it for me, either.
    Come visit my history blog:

Reviving this old thread.....

I'm doing some research as struggling to find a drug that I am able to take. I am too terrified to take antidepressants tablets and emsam patches are not available in uk. My doctor has basically said to me to find a drug I would be happy to take and then he will look into it to see if it's suitable for me or not. I am going to enquire about this one. My question is, for those that have put on weight, was it because it increased appetite?

Quote Originally Posted by hd18 View Post
    Reviving this old thread.....

My question is, for those that have put on weight, was it because it increased appetite?
    Increased appetite and altered glucose metabolism.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

I tried mirtazapine a few years ago. It worked reasonably well for the anxiety. On the downside I gained 35 lbs and had trouble moving after I woke up.

The antiemetic effect of mirtazapine comes from its abiliy to block a certain serotonin receptor. (5ht3) In other words, it works like zofran.
    Life is a wonderful ride.

I'm really happy you found something that works so well for you! I'm sure it does for a lot of people. But for me, antidepressants make me feel like I'm psychotic, not to mention totally baked. Those are feelings that increase my anxiety hugely so even if this has antiemetic properties, I will not be trying it or any other antidepressant ever. I prefer to have a clear head than to walk around feeling medicated and crazy.