Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Angry Do some people just NEED to be medicated?

I worked hard to overcome my phobia last year, but the anxiety under it never went away. I continued to have panic attacks unrelated to emet, but I figured it was just because so much was going on in my life (sister with cancer, mother in law strife, grandmother's death, ect). But now things have been resolved and I'm still having panic attacks. It's almost worse than when I was emet because there is nothing to pin it on, just feeling horrible and terrified. I know it's a panic attack and will be over soon each time but it keeps happening anyway.
    I've always wondered how much of my anxiety was biological and how much was from my controlling parents. Well now my daughter seems to be waking up with panic attacks like mine, just like I do and nothing will calm her down. I'm hoping she doesn't develop this but I'm also wondering if I was just born this way.
    For the past 4 months I've been charting my anxiety attacks- between 30-50 a month! That's 1-2 every day! I am wondering if I need to be on medication for life, but I don't want to be.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

Default Re: Do some people just NEED to be medicated?

Wow, that's a lot of panic right there. I'm so sorry you're going through this I know panic attacks are one of the most scary things to go through, and having them that frequently is just not fair for you! I would definitely talk to your doctor about this, and try to see about some non-addictive anxiety medication you can take. I'm on a few meds and I still have anxiety attacks now and again but no where near like I used to.. I've been on it for years so I probably need them to be adjusted but I have no insurance anymore. Now I'm rambling I'm sorry. But yeah I would look into a temporary anxiety medication or even one you can take as needed for it not the everyday type.
    This too, shall pass

I agree with Stephenie. Speak with your doctor! Let her know that you'd rather not be on medication, and ask her what alternatives may be viable for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i agree with talking to your doctor. i'm one that does takes pills.....prozac. i'm 59 years old and have struggled with emet/anxiety since i was 8. i started on prozac almost 20 years ago......i've been on and off over the years..this last stretch i've been on it for 2 years now. i've never had any side effects either starting or stopping this medication. it most certainly lowers my anxiety and really helps me live a way more normal life. i've had lots of stress/anxiety situations in my life also and always tried to deal without the help of drugs.

i know that a chemical imbalance in our brains can cause these feelings......so maybe that's what i have.....i've decided i'd rather take a 20mg prozac everyday and be able to work, have a marriage and do things with friends, etc than to sit at home and worry about just about everything.......

hope you find some relief.....that really is ALOT of anxiety attacks and that fact that your daughter is now exhibiting signs it's probably a good idea to talk to the dr about getting some relief.

good luck
    how i feel about emet

It's almost always a combination of environment and biology. There are some people who have no biological predisposition and you can pretty much do ANYTHING to them, and they'll bounce back and be completely mentally sound. Where as the other extreme, there are people who require almost NOTHING to trigger them to develop a severe anxiety disorder (like me...no history or any kind of traumatic experiences, bad parents, etc. but with an extensive family history of mental illness). And people inbetween, of course. I would talk to your doctor about trying something. There are a lot of different medications you can try, some short term, some long term. I like beta blockers. They're not addictive, they don't affect your "mind" like some others do, and all they really do is cut down some of the physical symptoms of anxiety (sweating, heart racing, etc.). You might have to bring it up yourself, in the US and Canada, they usually default to benzodiazapines, which I think shoudl be a last resort.

Also, the anxiety and phobia workbook, if you haven't tried it, sounds like it was pretty much made for you!
    Last edited by 4077girl; 06-04-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by olschesky View Post
    i started on prozac almost 20 years ago......i've been on and off over the years..this last stretch i've been on it for 2 years now. i've never had any side effects either starting or stopping this medication. it most certainly lowers my anxiety and really helps me live a way more normal life. i've had lots of stress/anxiety situations in my life also and always tried to deal without the help of drugs.

i know that a chemical imbalance in our brains can cause these feelings......so maybe that's what i have.....i've decided i'd rather take a 20mg prozac everyday and be able to work, have a marriage and do things with friends, etc than to sit at home and worry about just about everything.......
    i can echo some of the things said here - ive been on prozac now 18 mths and its literally transformed my life. i feel normal again and can actually funciton and do the usual things people do each day - work, eat, enjoy life, travel etc. i take 20mg prozac. i have no intention of coming off it for a while either.