Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Pre-Birthday terror, and success

Happy birthday to me...tomorrow. I know it is long, but I just need to tell someone who really GETS it.

I work in an elementary school with a special needs kid. He can't always tell me what is wrong or if he is feeling okay. I just have to watch him for clues as to if his head hurts or whatever. Normally I'm pretty good at it. Last Friday I figured out that his tummy ache was not a tummy ache at all, he just needed to do #2, which he hates doing at school. (also the cause of limping on several occasions...) My biggest worry was what would happen if he got sick.

Well, today he got sick at lunch. I feel bad about it because I fussed at him for getting out of his seat (he knows that he needs to raise his hand). He sat back down and maybe 20 seconds later was gagging, poor guy. I told him "Go to Ms. Patty!!!" who is the janitor standing by the trash cans, and I RAN out of the lunch room to get the nurse. Thank god for that excuse, I was shaking so hard I could hardly walk and the LAST thing the kiddo needs is for him to think something has gone horribly wrong. He already spent the rest of the day thinking that he was in trouble and his mom would be mad at him because he got sick.

The nurse did NOT send him home! (?!?!?!) and he was fine for the rest of the day. He looked like he wasn't feeling great at recess, which was right after lunch. He was out in the hot sun on the swings (WORST possible combo, but I thought that if anything would make him sick again, that would, and then the poor boy could go home like he should have after the first time, aka: AWAY from me!). He doesn't handle the heat well, so him looking bad at recess was likely unrelated, the kid melts in the sun.

A call from his mom a few hours ago told me that he has been feeling fine since he got home, so it is very unlikely to be a stomach bug. The kid is very set in his ways, a trait of his disorder. He eats what Mom packs for his lunch. It doesn't matter if some of the fruit in his lunch has gone bad, he will eat it, or he will pitch a fit if you spot it and take it away. He is convinced that mom will be mad if he doesn't eat everything. So he could have eaten something bad. He also had not had anything to drink since breakfast, and it was HOT out, even though it is always cold inside. He doesn't drink his juice until the very end, so he could very well have been dehydrated. He also could have eaten too fast. He was also crying. He has cried to the point of gagging often, and who know if feeling sick made him cry or if something else had upset him and gotten him too worked up.

I was able to stay with him for the rest of the day. I did beat the crap out of my hips though, now I have huge bruises on them. (hitting my legs/hips calms me down. Bad, but it works) I have NOT taken any medication what so ever. I have my adavan, but I did not take any of it. I am also relatively calm. I am actually more calm right now than I was two weeks ago when a different special needs kid (that I don't work with) got sick when my kiddo and I were in the room. But I knew that kid had a stomach virus, my kiddo had acted fine all day, even told me he was enjoying his lunch a few minutes before he got sick. I may have done a little obsessive hand washing, showering, and disinfecting, but the steering wheel of my car could use the occasional cleaning. The bleach was a bit tough on the cellphone though. Also, I have difficulty taking a shower when I'm freaked (long story), so the fact that I got in the shower when I was nervous and calmed down in there is also a plus.

I feel like I handled it better than I would have in the past, but I also feel that I could have handled it better than I did.

Default Re: Pre-Birthday terror, and success

sounds to me like you handled it really well.......and the shower calming you down is a big plus too.....sounds like you're making some good progress
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know, I keep beating myself up over things that I could have done differently though, like NOT freaked out...

Well done you, it sounds like you coped really well, given the situation! I totally have the thing about not liking showers when I'm stressed, no one else seems to understand it, lol!