Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

This has really been bugging me. As some of you know I am a RN. A lot of good it does me because I feel totally dumb. A stomach virus has been going around the assisted living home I work in. The majority of the cases has been diarrhea and the ones that have v*, the have only done so once or twice so not too bad. Well, our home has been quarenteened (sp) and the residents seem to be doing better. We havent let ANYONE out of there rooms since Friday. This virus has been going around for a little over a week and a half. Well my kids have been sick (respiratory, not GI) and I have been out of work with them. I got paid on Friday and did not go get my check until today. My question is...and it is a silly one, but my phobia is really getting the best of me...

I walked into the administrative offices to get my check. Residents are aloud down there but not many have come down to the offices since all activities and everything have been postponed because of this outbreak[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] All I did was walk in and get my check but check this out. The checks were locked up on one of medication carts and med aide came down to give it to me. Now I am scared the envelope was contaminated. My mind is not thinking clearly. What is the probability of me getting this sh**? I would say I would not get it but if they are not washing there hands good then I could? I know my thinking is crazy...could some of you please let me know what you think. I used hand sanitizer when I got in my truck...I keep it in my purse and truck[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img].

Please make me feel better or put some sense into my head[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Oh yea...a couple of employees have been out too with it. I am just so NERVOUS. I cant let my kids get it. They are on antibiotics and need to get better. UGH UGH UGH

I order to get the bug, you need to ingest the virus, if you think the envelope was contaminated, and unless you licked the envelope, I really wouldn't worry. Just practice good hygeine and your hands after leaving work and don't touch your face, and your chances of catching anything is cut down. Just try to calm down, I'm sure your fine, and we will be here to help you get through anything.

Debbie; I agree with you, the phobia is getting the best of you! You got in the truck,used the sanitizer and that is it. After opening the envelope used the sanitizer. You are fine. You will not get this bug.

I know I feel like a freak sometime. My husband wants to eat out tonight for dinner and I dont want to for fear the person preparing it is sick!

UGH! Help me[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I've been in your place before. I feared getting it from sick family members through the mail and on Christmas presents. Logically, I don't think it's possible, but that's the problem with this phobia, it's not logical. If you washed your hands after you got your check, you'll be fine.

About going out to dinner, there are so many times my husband has wanted to go out, but I was just not strong enough to go out. I wouldn't have eaten anything and would have been a basketcase afterwards worrying about the same thing as you. Did the person preparing it wash their hands, were they sick (after hearing about all these places that make sick employees come to work anyways), was the server sick, etc. etc. etc. I can go on and on, and I guess just go with your feelings tonight. If you feel up to it, go. If you don't, take a raincheck. I'm afraid that I won't feel up to it for Valentines Day, and it's coming up soon. I would much rather make my hubby a dinner at home. I don't like going out to eat, and hopefully your hubby (and mine) will understand.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I agree with what everyone else is saying. You used your sanitizer, you will be fine.

Think about it this way..Think of all of the other people out there in the medical field who are around this kind of stuff everyday, and they don't pick everything up. Our bodies are engineerd to fight this stuff off, so even if you didn't use the sanitizer, chances are you wouldn't have to worry about catching it. In order to catch it, first it must invade your body (which you did not let it do) and then it must get through your body's personal combat unit Sure, sometimes it happens to people here and there, but not very often considering how often we are subjected to these germies.

You will be fine! By the way, how are your kids feeling these days??

You used your hand sanitizer right away, don't worry! This phobia
    can cause our thoughts to go way out of control, we understand your
    concern. I agree with everyone else that you have nothing to
    worry about. Think about the RNs that have </span>been working there this week; they're the ones that should be worried. You have stayed away to be with your kids.

you'll be fine! [img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]

Do what your heart tells you to-- even when your fears tell you not to.

You are alive....so live.

redapple, you are exactly right. I have been away from there with my kids. We have only had a few get sick so far. I feel bad for the ones who have. I am the only emet I think. There is one girl who passes medications to the residents on the really sick side and just protected herself the best she knew how and never complained. She did get d* but worked anyway. I feel like such a loser. I cant help it though.

Thanks everyone for helping me put perspective on the situation. That is why I love it here.

I am almost at 100 posts!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Few employees that have gotten sick----had to clarify[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

ontairo girl, here is my im name for aol. vicmaxey99 and yahoo is vicki_thomas30 will you please chat with me there for a min

I just read this and I emailed you. Are you ok?