Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What did you want to be when you "grew up"..?

Hey everyone -

What a lovely day it is! Nothing has gone wrong today...

I was haven't a bit of a think about the past and I got my diary out the closet, dated 2000! I thought it would be lovely to see what I thought back then... clearly I thought I could do anything, and really wasn't prepared for what was going to happen in my life.
    All the funny things that have happened, have helped towards what I have become today.

Anyways, there was a question in the front of this diary. A question that we have all heard a thousand times before.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Next to this I wrote I wanted to be a painter and I wanted to work with animals (as a vet)...

I can also remember wanting to be:
    - a painter (wanted everything to be pink... yikes)
    - a teacher (loved to make the register)
    - a dolphine trainer (was 8 and went to a sea life thing)
    - a gardener (love the flowers)
    - a model (watched victoria's secret... what can I say! Wow, I wanted to be like that)
    - an interior designer (I love colours... and have always liked to show people what to do... hehe)

Now I am a computer programmer for a company called Esec in Switzerland... Wow how things change.
    It's the best thing I could ever have dreamed of becoming now I think about it.

What did you dream of being when you were growing up?

Take care
    Jaynielu

Default Re: What did you want to be when you "grew up"..?

I wanted to be a veterinarian lol now Im studying for psychology
    Last edited by stephenie; 06-08-2011 at 07:14 AM.
    This too, shall pass

I wanted to be a singer haha. But for the projects that wouldn't allow that as an option, I picked a vet. I'm a groomer who sings on the side now so I guess I did pretty well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I wanted to be a teacher but as I grew up and "grew" into my emetophobia, I realized that wasn't the most ideal job choice for me. I'm now currently studying to be a liscenced therapist and hope to open my own practice someday
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

oh wow, seems to be a girl thing... so many wanted to be vets... hehe
    Thats so cool

I understand about the teacher thing... that was also a reason why I decided against it... Very quickly...
    And wow, thats a great thing to aspire to do...
    Wish you all the best of luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake x View Post
    I wanted to be a teacher but as I grew up and "grew" into my emetophobia, I realized that wasn't the most ideal job choice for me. I'm now currently studying to be a liscenced therapist and hope to open my own practice someday

Thats really lovely to hear that your dreams came true...

What kind of a singer are you..?

Quote Originally Posted by asianeko View Post
    I wanted to be a singer haha. But for the projects that wouldn't allow that as an option, I picked a vet. I'm a groomer who sings on the side now so I guess I did pretty well.

i want/ed to be a vet as well. i also want to be a nurse (not the best choice though) but i reeeeealy wanna be an actress. but atm i am a dental nurse.
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

I'm on my way to becoming a singer I'm doing a music degree and working on a solo album, as of this week, so I'm pretty chuffed My realistic (or after I'm done performing) dream is to be a music teacher (which I am, kind of, I have two students now) and eventually open my own music and dance school, because I'd love to teach a music and movement class for disabled kids. That would make my life worthwhile

I knew what I did NOT want to be - emetophobic!

believe it or not, I wanted to be a doctor! haha
    But because I realised that job would involve a LOT of v* I decided I wanted to do forensics and anatomy.

This is when I hate myself and wish I didn't have this stupid phobia
    I was doing my exams when I was at my worst and missed a lot of them. Therefore not being able to go to uni

But I suppose I wouldn't be where I am today if it werent for that.
    I am now a qualified make-up artist and got the highest grade with distinction they've ever had.

So I guess I can still do forensics and anatomy, but with pretend bodies and silicone! haha

Wow, loads of people wanted to be vets! Aha, I never really saw the appeal ... I did have a big thing about horses when I was little though, being a riding teacher would have been pretty cool. I also wanted to be: a professional swimmer, a teacher, an actor (musical theatre), and a university lecturer.
    At the moment I really want to be an author, or at the least an English teacher for older pupils (age 16-18... Not that I'm picky, or anything!). I'm working on a multi-chapter story at the moment, so hopefully that's pretty good training!

When I was 8 I wanted to be a doctor, then an astronaut, then a dancer. I never did make up my mind, & now I don`t do anything much, as I`m on benefits at the moment.

Well really want to be a writer psychiatrist i've already written 3 short novels, and I hope to get 1 or 2 of them published
    I know that there are those that are waiting for failure, but
    my answer to that is that there is no such thing as failure.
    You can only fail if you stop too soon.

I always wanted to be a paleontologist... until I realized there wasn't much of a market for them! Also, I would have needed a whole lot of school to even break into that field!
    When I went back to school, that dream had worn off pretty well. I wanted to be a geologist, but it was the same problem- not enough jobs, and needs too much school for even an entry level job (well, you can never have too much school, but my funding is for a Bachelors degree, and I don't have the savings to support myself for another 2 or 4 years).
    Now I am a full time student pursuing a B.S. in Biology. Biology is a very useful degree that opens all kinds of doors, and a bachelors degree will still get you places! Besides, it's not a bad alternative, I am loving every min of my college experience!

Wanted to be an FBI agent since I was very little. Then my dad ever so nicely said no one is going to give a psycho like me a gun. So instead I learned how to shoot, take care of, and take apart an FBI standard issue gun, well it's they kind they use.

After wanting to be an FBI agent I wanted/want to be a writer but apparently I suck at writing and will never make it as a writer, this is according to my dad, mom, and friends. So now I have no dreams or desires I guess I am just waiting to die.

When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman

My mom hated when people asked this question to me when I was little. I used to say I wanted "big boobs and a motorcycle." Well, I never got the motorcycle (don't want one anymore either!).
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Quote Originally Posted by jaynielu View Post
    Thats really lovely to hear that your dreams came true...

What kind of a singer are you..?
    Lots of showtunes, as well as country and some pop/soft rock.
    You can hear me sing here: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/5829983

Reading everyone else's aspirations is amazing! We are all so unique!

Jill in Apartment 413 - My dad used to constantly tell me i didn't have the taoent to be a singer and i'd never make it as a performer because i'm too fat and not pretty. I just refused to accept it. When i started my course (bachelor of music) he told me i was wasting my time. I more or less told him to stick it, no one was going to take away my dream. You just have to prove them wrong. Who cares what they say?! If you want to do it, whats stopping you? :-)

Talking Re: What did you want to be when you "grew up"..?

Quote Originally Posted by wargerbil View Post
    My mom hated when people asked this question to me when I was little. I used to say I wanted "big boobs and a motorcycle." Well, I never got the motorcycle (don't want one anymore either!).
    Now that is an answer and a half... I think that has just made my day... Thanks for that!
    You need to help yourself first, inable to help others...
    Every cloud has a silver lining
    And always remember...
    What goes around, comes around but picks up speed on the way back

Take care

Love Jaynielu

p.s. Your mind is so powerful, use it to your advantage... you can do it!

Talking Re: What did you want to be when you "grew up"..?

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    Jill in Apartment 413 - My dad used to constantly tell me i didn't have the taoent to be a singer and i'd never make it as a performer because i'm too fat and not pretty. I just refused to accept it. When i started my course (bachelor of music) he told me i was wasting my time. I more or less told him to stick it, no one was going to take away my dream. You just have to prove them wrong. Who cares what they say?! If you want to do it, whats stopping you? :-)

You rule! You showed him... and you definitaly said it in one... "Noone has a right to tell you what you should dream... so keep living them! (Just to prove to everyone if you want it, you'll have it.)"
    And always remember...

Take care

Love Jaynielu

Thumbs up Re: What did you want to be when you "grew up"..?

Quote Originally Posted by asianeko View Post
    Lots of showtunes, as well as country and some pop/soft rock.
    You can hear me sing here: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/5829983

Reading everyone else's aspirations is amazing! We are all so unique!

Wow, that is really good...
    And always remember...

Take care

Love Jaynielu

Wink Re: What did you want to be when you "grew up"..?

Quote Originally Posted by Jill in Apartment 413 View Post
    Wanted to be an FBI agent since I was very little. Then my dad ever so nicely said no one is going to give a psycho like me a gun. So instead I learned how to shoot, take care of, and take apart an FBI standard issue gun, well it's they kind they use.

After wanting to be an FBI agent I wanted/want to be a writer but apparently I suck at writing and will never make it as a writer, this is according to my dad, mom, and friends. So now I have no dreams or desires I guess I am just waiting to die.
    Now that is something I haven't heard, an FBI agent, what an interesting dream to have... now you mention that, that would have been a lovely job to have too!

Don't ever let people back you into a corner and tell you you're not good enough to do something... You were put on this earth to live out your dreams, with as much fantasy as you can (Makes things a lot more interesting, whilst wait for the inevitable... It's never too late to stop dreaming... Don't listen to people haven't got anything nice to say!)

My parents always said:
    If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!
    and
    Sticks and stones my break my bones but words will NEVER harm you...

Be strong and fight to keep your dreams alive...
    And always remember...

Take care

Love Jaynielu

Quote Originally Posted by jaynielu View Post
    Wow, that is really good...

Thank you We have lots of talented musicians on the boards here!

I still like the idea of an emet band. Emet and the Phobics!

I remember at the age of 8 or 9 I decided I wanted to be a female astronomer (because at 8 I thought those did not exist) I was totally fascinated by the sun and the moon. Mostly the moon, because I used to talk it out my window when I was like 4ish-5 till about maybe 6 or 7? I was so weird haha! But then when I was about 8 or 9 I saw a solar eclipse that happened at dawn where I live, and i had NO IDEA what was happening. (I was up at dawn because my parents at that point were months away from getting divorced and their arguing woke me up- thank god!) it was the most beautiful thing ever. I went back to sleep, and I was awoken to my mom telling me what happened and to watch the news. thats when I learned what an eclipse was and thats when i was like "yep, i wanna study this and be an astronomer"

Noowww fast forward to 2011, I'm 21 now and took an astronomy class just this past semester. It is very math demanding and while still interesting, it's not something i'd ever pursue as a career. I definitely have it as a hobby though, and i incorporate my photography into it. (more so now that I got a remote shutter release adapter for my camera--yay!!) So now i'm studying to be a photographer, and start school for it in January

Funnily enough, I wanted to be a dentist when I was little. Who knows why, it's like an emet's worst ngihtmare! I think it's cause I would like going cause I never got fillings, got smelly stickers and thought my dentist was really funny. But soon after I wanted to be a vet, and still do, and studying to become one
    Susie

I wanted to be a "baby deliverer" in other words a OBGYN. I still have that dream but its too much schooling and brains. So Im setteling for radiology, and im planning on becoming a certified Doula! So Ill still get to be a part of the birthing process. I am absolutly fascinated by what a womens body can do! And I love babies lol.

I first wanted to be a chef, then a marine biologist, then an architect, then a vet, now a singer ^_^

I wanted to be an FBI agent. Saw too many movies lol.