Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default lying with my back to the fire

When I was a child my father would never let me lie with my back to the fire in winter, even though it felt lovely & warm & I loved warming my back. He told me that doing that would make me v, but surely this is an old wives tale, as I`ve done it many times as an adult with no ill effects. How do people get these silly ideas, because I can`t see lying in front of a fire can make someone v.

Default Re: lying with my back to the fire

It's probably just one of those silly things that adults tell children just to stop them doing things the adults don't want them to do. Like 'if you tell lies, your tongue will get spots' and when you pull a face 'if the wind changes you'll get stuck like that'. He probably didn't want you lying with your back to the fire in case you rolled over and got burnt, or sparks could come out the fire and you wouldn't notice, or something like that.

That's a strange thing to say, and obviously not true! I guess he was nervous about you being near the fire, so told you that to persuade you to stay away.

Did he know about your phobia? My mom has known about mine for as long as I have had it, and she used to say things like that on purpose, kind of joking, because she knew if she told me I'd v* I wouldn't do it. Some examples: Sex before marriage, not going to church every week, recreational drugs, lying, not getting good grades, etc. It's funny when I think back on it now, but at the time it used to make me really mad, and sometimes panicky. I guess it worked as far as she is concerned.

we actually have a family video of our family eating dinner. i was about 6 and i didnt want to eat my veggies. my mom told me i would V* if i didnt eat them, jokingly. as soon as she said it i ate them right up. we watched it a couple years ago and my mom felt so bad for saying that. at the time she didnt know how severe my phobia was, she knows now thats why she felt bad lol. im sure it was so you wouldnt get close to the fire. his way of making sure you were safe if he didnt have his eye on you all the time. prob cuz he knew youd prevent it yourself

Laying with your back to the fire won't affect your body in any way.

However I wouldn't recommend laying with your back towards an outdoor, open fire.

Think about when you lay on your side, you almost always flop down on your back when you fall asleep. With your face towards the fire, you are guaranteed not to inadventently roll closer to the fire when you get sleepy. Could save some burns, or at lease scorched clothing!

If you've got an indoor fireplace it doesn't matter at all! All my family members including myself, sit in front of fireplace until the back is "too hot for comfort" and then move away. No stomach discomfort.... other than it feels deprived because other parts got warmed up and it did not!

David

When I was a kid I hated brushing my teeth. My mom would tell me I'd vomit if I didn't brush so, guess who brushes all the time!
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.