Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Can emets be risk-takers?

We all take risks every day of our lives. I live in British Columbia, north of Seattle on the Cascadia fault. At any moment we could be rocked with an earthquake the size of Japan's or worse. But here's the thing....I don't live my life under a table. That would be just crazy. Why? Because the risk is so small that we must live our lives with a certain amount of risk. Same with getting into an automobile.

And yet emets often cannot take even a minute amount of risk. It's like we're living underneath the kitchen table. Many can't go places, can't send their kids places, can't touch something after using a cell phone. I could go on and on.

What do you do (or not do) because you're not able or willing to take any risk at all? How might you think about it differently?
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Can emets be risk-takers?

I am a risk taker. Even though I freak out if someone vomits near me, I travel on planes, I go on school trips, and things like that. I will be anxious the whole time, but if it's something that I really need to do, I make myself do it. I refuse to live my life under the table.

I'm the same as Rebecca. I travel on planes, trains, buses, all kinds of public transport, boats, I eat international food, I check used by dates, but if they're a couple of days over or under, it doesn't freak me out (well it does a little, but I try and think logically)... I don't know if those are risks though. I take some risks, but I wouldn't call myself a huge risk taker.

i CANNOT make myself get on an airplane.......it's so frustrating and has kept me from doing so many things.....including flying 3000 miles to be with my dad before he passed away in 2006....also have not seen my mother in 11 years.....i don't expect her to make the trip at age 85 when i can't make it at 59.......i carry alot of guilt from this.

just the thought of getting on a plane makes me n.........some of my worst dreams have involved stepping on an airplane........i hate this.
    how i feel about emet

Great post, Sage! I do many things that many emets would consider risky (eat out all the time, even buffets, travel a lot, don't wash my hands a lot, teach elementary school), but I know there are still some risks that I won't take. For instance, I hate riding in the back of a car because it makes me nauseous. I also have no desire to ever go ona cruise. I am sure there are more!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I actually find aeroplanes a lot of fun. I don't know why, but I don't consider them a risk at all. I think I associate it with good things, like holidays and good and new experiences.

As for living in risky places, my boyfriend's family live in the middle of the bush and they get bushfires in summer tearing through near where they live. It's a risk they're willing to take, and a risk I'm willing to take going there in summer, because it's beautiful, and so relaxing. I should post some pictures, stunning place to live, I wish I could afford to buy the house.

Even though I don't consider some "big" things risks (like eating out, travelling a lot, I want to teach music to little kids, I don't wash my hands as much as some people on here do), I consider some smaller things risks, like going to clubs and bars, or going to friend's places when there's going to be alcohol involved, hospitals, I consider doctor's surgeries a bit of a risk (one I have to take sometimes).

I find it interesting how I don't consider aeroplanes a big risk at all but going into a club or a bar is something I very rarely have the courage to do...

For me, it's about the potential reward too. I mean if I go to a club, I can't drink so I would probably be the only sober one, and have a miserable time. I probably wouldn't go even if I wasn't emet. But getting on a plane means I'm going on holiday.

Because the whole world becomes a scary place to us emets, I think every day we get out of bed is a risk. So the short answer is: Yes. We take "risks" every day.

KaydeeJayde, I DO teach music to little kids! That's great that you want to do the same! Let me know if you want to chat about it sometime!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Oh, Harmonygirl!! That's so awesome! We should definitely have a chat some time

Emet doesn't really stop me from much though I certainly wouldn't consider myself a risk taker by any means. A few things I am dying to do include bungee jumping (I'm dead serious, I just don't know if it makes you v* or not?), going on a cruise (both because of m*s* and the possibility of a virus making it's way through the ship) and also going for a joy flight in a helicopter - they terrify me but I think it would be absolutely awesome!
    So yeah, I'm basically a would-be risk taker (if emet wasn't a problem, that is).

what do i do/not do because im not willing to take a risk? well I have lied. to a lot of people. becasue i was too afraid to do quite a few things. Some things sounded absolutely fun but i would rather not go or participate if there was just a small chance i might vomit. and i would always think of a way! i remember i didnt wanna risk going to see a funny movie once, because i thought if i laugh too hard, i might throw up. I still try to take risks now but i have to force myself. Although other people wold think that taking a risk would involve something like bungee jumping or jumping out of an aeroplane. a risk to me is eating that sus looking potatoe salad in the fridge, or drinking the milk 1 day before the use by date. or even going to work when my stomach made a strange noise a few miuntes ago
    Last edited by emmalinda; 06-10-2011 at 11:16 PM.
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Smile Re: Can emets be risk-takers?

Great post. Yeah we do take risks everyday because we have to live. I don't worry about them until I hear somebody was sick though. Just the thought of someone ill sends me into emet frenzy. Although I would love to get on a plane I don't think I ever would. When I get in small places I sometimes feel claustrophobic then I feel n*. I will never go on a cruise. I get nervous thinking about going in a car out of town. I can't even drive long distances in fear of getting car sick while driving. And when I'm out of town my fears are in overdrive because I'm afraid of me or my family getting sick. So I know I'm not a big risk taker. Oh and amusement park rides. Forget about it! 

Thanks for all the thoughts, everyone. Very interesting.
    I talk to so many emetophobes with my clinical practice now that I don't even know what's "normal" anymore! I opened this jar of salsa I got from a Farmer's Market and didn't hear the vacuum seal pop. So...hahaha....I asked my family members "would you guys eat this?" and they were all like "YES!" So...we ate it. It gave all three of us diarrhea. But so what? It was worth the risk. Not that the salsa was all that good, but it was worth it not to fall back into that kind of thing. I also went hog-wild this morning and used my unwashed hands to put the top onto a Starbucks coffee top which I then put in my mouth. LOL
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.