Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

when anyone specific throws up? for me when anyone throws up is scarey, but when my mom throws up I feel like IM lietrally going to loose my mind. when i ws little she would act so scared when she got sick and I think thats where my phobia stems from. its almost like the more afraid the person is whos vomiting is, the more afraid I become. Its like i sence their fear and it multiplies it by 100.

I wonder if this could help me overcome it in any way. does anyone else know what I mean?
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

My parents are my support systems, and when they get sick it is like the world is crumbling under my feet! A BIG contribution to my phobia was when my mom got sick at work with the darned BUG several years ago, passed out, and was taken to the hospital for TWO DAYS! All because she has a nerve reaction when she v*s that makes her pass out. At least that stopped my dad and I from getting it, but everytime I worry about the bug now, I think I'll have to go to the hospital and will pass out too!
    You control your body- it doesn\'t control you
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    !

I understand what you mean, I wish I could figure out what may have caused this phobia. I think you should ask Sage. I can definately see how your moms reaction to it could have cause you to have this phobia.

I always thought I got emet from a scary time seeing my mom get sick. I am not sure if that is entirely true or not, but I know it's kind of a control thing. When you are little, your mom is kinda your whole world and if she seems out of control (vomiting), then your whole world is kinda out of control...does that make sense??

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

That makes good sense harmony! I would get like that too, if my dad was ill, well then things were just weird and scary, and I do think it can have a connection with who you see as your support system. Its like if they get out of control, they are the ones you look to to feel more in control, and that really throws you outta whack and makes you real afraid.

I feel that way when my husband gets sick...it's like my world has come unglued and off balance and out of sync...
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

Oh yeah, when my mom gets sick it really bothers me--and I don't even live with her!! It just bothers me that she went through my entire childhood and young adult life w/o v'ing--over 20 years, and for the past 10 years or so it seems that she hass been getting a bug once a year or once every other year. She gave me such hope that I could make it through parenting/life in general without doing "it", and now when she's sick it really deflates my hope!