Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What sort of emet are you?

All of us have varying degrees of emet, ranging from mild to severe, some with ocd and some not.
    I was wondering what sort of emet are you? I have discovered that i am only scared of virus vomit, mine and others around me. I can cope with my kids as long as i know its not a stomach virus, when my son vomited repeatedly last year i had to call my mother for back up, after a trip to the doctors we found he had a chronic ear infection causing the sickness and i was fine with it, I obviously found the noise, smell and mess disgusting but coped ok alone. When my daughter has an asthma attack she often coughs until she vomits and im fine with that too. At a party recently a male friend got so drunk he was projectile vomiting in the garden and i was ok with that. But the thought of a stomach virus in the house is enough to send me over the edge and tumble into insanity, shaking, crying and trembling. Why??? Is it because im a control freak and its the unpredictability of the virus that scares me, catching me or either of the kids unawares, if noro and its cousins didnt exist i wouldnt have a worry in the world!
    Your thoughts please.

Default Re: What sort of emet are you?

I am only afraid of others' vomit, and I couldn't care less why it's happening. If anything, drunk vomiting is worse because it's self inflicted and so easily avoidable.

I'm exactly the same as Rebecca in this respect. I only fear other people vomiting and it doesn't matter why they're doing it. I'm not overly afraid of viruses, but I don't like hanging out with people who are drinking, that just freaks me out. I can't deal with animal vomit either.

I agree drunk vomiting is avoidable and also gross but it doenst freak me out that much, i still get a mild panicy feeling but its controllable, i think its because i know the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    I'm exactly the same as Rebecca in this respect. I only fear other people vomiting and it doesn't matter why they're doing it. I'm not overly afraid of viruses, but I don't like hanging out with people who are drinking, that just freaks me out. I can't deal with animal vomit either.
    Kaydee are you ok when you vomit, do you panic? Im cool with animal vomit, its not exactly pleasant but i can deal with it, years ago my dog (now in doggy heaven) had ecoli, she had been under the weather before i went to work but when i got home and opened the front door ,the mess and smell was enough to make an emet hurl, it was a truly long and awful illness but she pulled through and lived another 7 years.

I'm more afraid of myself vomiting. I can deal with others V* but only if I know it's not contagious (IE. drunk vomit, migraine, ect). Even if I'm around someone who is vomiting and I know I can't catch it, I still look away and plug my ears.
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

Personally, I can't deal with mine or others vomit... in really life or on TV... Don't really enjoy reading about it either!
    I can't understand self inflicked vomiting, whether its because of drinking, eating to much or just plain stupidity (Belimia)... Can't deal with animals V* either
    I am very anal about people washing their hands so much so I have to actually watch them wash their hands before I believe them... Everything is bleached at home, and if someone even mentions they don't feel well I'm gone in a flash, I will get a bucket with bleach and really hot water and tell them to sit in the bathroom until they feel better... They aren't allowed to V* in the sink or the bath, and my sister always has to ask me if she can cough... Really mean in a way, but I start to panic just at the sound...
    Also I don't eat much that others cook... and I have tought myself to "talk" myself out of feeling ill...

Have mentioned these things in other chats before... :S
    You need to help yourself first, inable to help others...
    Every cloud has a silver lining
    And always remember...
    What goes around, comes around but picks up speed on the way back

Take care
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Love Jaynielu

p.s. Your mind is so powerful, use it to your advantage... you can do it!

I'm mainly afraid of myself v-ing. I fear others doing it because it may be contagious.

Im afraid of myself V* waaay more than others, but im still afraid of others doing it too. And im afraid of it no matter why they are V*. Of course if its a SV its the most terrifying bc i could catch it, but if someone gets drunk and V* i freak out too. I cant stand it no matter what. Im okay with animals V* but i still look away. Baby spit up doesnt bother me too much bc i know its just milk, but once they V* for real i freak. So pretty much no matter what i dont like any form of it.

I am scared to vomit, I am scared of a sv because it multiplies and is a mess. I am afraid to hear someone vomit, smell it and see it. If I see someone sick I immediately plug my ears, turn away, and my heart starts pounding and everything becomes fuzzy around me. I don't worry if people are sick unless I am sharing their space and I don't worry about people vomiting unless I hear they have diarrhea too.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by becca44 View Post
    All of us have varying degrees of emet, ranging from mild to severe, some with ocd and some not.
    I was wondering what sort of emet are you? I have discovered that i am only scared of virus vomit, mine and others around me. I can cope with my kids as long as i know its not a stomach virus, when my son vomited repeatedly last year i had to call my mother for back up, after a trip to the doctors we found he had a chronic ear infection causing the sickness and i was fine with it, I obviously found the noise, smell and mess disgusting but coped ok alone. When my daughter has an asthma attack she often coughs until she vomits and im fine with that too. At a party recently a male friend got so drunk he was projectile vomiting in the garden and i was ok with that. But the thought of a stomach virus in the house is enough to send me over the edge and tumble into insanity, shaking, crying and trembling. Why??? Is it because im a control freak and its the unpredictability of the virus that scares me, catching me or either of the kids unawares, if noro and its cousins didnt exist i wouldnt have a worry in the world!
    Your thoughts please.
    Mainly myself doing it and terrified of others if contagious. Any non contagious vomiting does cause some anxiety and is gross and disturbing but I'm not phobic of it.
    Last edited by 5.0ben; 06-10-2011 at 12:18 PM.

As i said i am ok with others as long as its not 'catching' but i am still absolutely terrified of vomiting myself, i rarely overeat, only order 'safe' food at restaurants and wash my hands a hell of a lot, my house is also as sterile as an operating theatre despite having a dog and 2 cats, i wish i could lapse and be slovenly as some of my friends but i just cant do it. I know this is a mental illness and ive been on medications for years which has helped considerably but sometimes i feel that i will never be well or the same as my friends who see me as an ocd freak, affectionately of course

Norovirus is what scares me. I still don't like being ill due to other things and as Becca said I am careful with what I eat etc. but If someone says I have noro, I'm on my way...SPRINTING away from them

Okay so i'm new to this and not quite sure if i'm doing this right but here goess..

I am petrified when it comes to me vomiting, or others, even if its not contagious i still avoid all contact with that person. I can't see others vomiting on t.v i immediately change channels because even that makes me feel unwell too!

Its nice to know that i am not alone at this time as i feel so lonely as i cannot go anywhere incase i see someone or myself vomit so i dont really have a social life at the moment

I'm exactly like cupcake x. Myself v* scares the everything right out of me. And if someone I know is sick, I panic slightly but it's nothing compared to if I feel sick.
    Add me on facebook! I'm always up for new friends. (:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Me vomiting from a virus only, for sure. I feel like I have less control over it than any other factor that could make me sick. I am OCD about handwashing solely because of stomach viruses, but I am not scared of germs generally at all. People cough and sneeze in my face at my work always, and as gross as it is, it doesn't really bother me. Vomit itself grosses me out like it would gross anyone else out, but if its not contagious, it doesn't freak me out. A few years back my friend got trashed and puked all over her bathroom and I cleaned it and her up. It was gross, and I was mildly drunk, but I was fine and we still laugh about it. I don't even worry about Ecoli or salmonella nearly as much. If I am drunk, I don't worry about getting sick (mainly because I am drunk haha). If you are drunk I will take care of you, maybe even clean up your mess, but if you have a stomach virus, see ya later don't even talk to me for at least 3 weeks.

i am terrified of myself vomiting. other people doing it im not as scared but my anxiety is still up there. but i am very hygenic and ocd trying to avoid the dreaded noro.
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Kaydee are you ok when you vomit, do you panic?
    I don't panic. I know it's not going to be pleasant, and I cry, but I know a lot of non-emets who cry when they throw up. Then again, I don't do it very often at all. I'm one of those people with a steel stomach :P

I think most people emet or not find it a distressing experience, my son who was 4 at the time had a good vom session and he panicked, was shaking and terrified, nothing unusual in that you may think but hes down syndrome and it was the 1st time he had properly vomited other than just spitting up sometimes, hes totally unaware of viruses and sickness and found it an ordeal. Also i have heard that some people are on a 'high' after they vomit, is this true? How can vomiting make you euphoric?

Yeah, I think it's meant to be a distressing experience. I don't know of anyone who enjoys vomiting.

As for being on a high, I think it's a burst of endorphins meant to make you feel better.

I just curl up in a ball after and want to die although ive had feeling of being high after having d (doesnt bother me at all) i feel all empty and light and floaty.

I am pretty terrified about anything having to do with v* even pouring soup down the drain makes me anxious. I often live on anti-emetics (both natural and bonine) and if I feel even the slightest bit sick, I will stay up all night long in order to make sure I do not vomit. I once lived a month, not eating, bunked in the bathroom, crying, shaking, the whole deal, until the doctor finally gave me an anti-emetic so that I could start eating and go back to school. Also, other people v* even not contagious makes me very uncomfortable, again with the whole, shaking, crying, nightmare thing. I ran away and freaked out the other day just because my sister was choking on a glass of water. It completely paralyzes me, I am afraid to go see certain movies if I think that there is a v* scene. I had to have someone pre-screen the hangover for me to make sure it was okay and I am skipping seeing bridesmaids because I know that they get food poisoning. I hate to be a downer but I feel like I am the emet that is completely unable to live because of the disorder.

hsbbd i used to be exactley the same as that. over time though it did get a little better, although i do still get days where i am like that. mainly if i feel n*
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Smile Re: What sort of emet are you?

Quote Originally Posted by emmalinda View Post
    hsbbd i used to be exactley the same as that. over time though it did get a little better, although i do still get days where i am like that. mainly if i feel n*
    I totally understand, most of the time I am n* just because I have a very sensitive stomach so it is all about just getting through it and living your life. A bottle of water by my side always seems to help when I am feeling sick

I'm really only afraid of vomiting that I can contract... virus vomit. If someone vomits I need to know WHY. Whether they were sick, or what. I've calmed down about drunk vomit and all that. I also simply hate the nausea and the sick feeling, and what I fear is not being able to stop.

Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Wow this is amazing, i cant believe i only found out about my phobia today! I am like hsbbd, except i can kinda deal with fake v* on movies and tv, however things like the movie jacka** i have to have someone tell me when a v* scene is coming so i can close my eyes and block my ears. Sometimes the sound of water in a sink catches me off guard and i immediatly think someone is v*, and coughing in bathrooms freaks me out so bad. if anyone even approaches a bathroom when i am in there my anxiety goes up and i just have to get out of there in case they are going there to be sick. the other month travelling to another town, i just about jumped outta a car window going 100kms per hour when the girl next to me said she felt car sick. scary stuff! when viruses are going round i am at my worst and weakest moments. everything around me falls down, ocd climbs up and i dont wanna go ANYWHERE for like a month after!

I'm only scared of others doing it, but obviously I don't like doing it. I get a bit anxious before, but during and after I'm okay. I can see it in TV and such now, and hear it in real life. I just can't see it in real life.

You may find these links helpful!

Im terrified of myself vomiting only. Others or just seeing puke doesnt bother me. When i feel like im about to vomit i get sooo shaky and really panic, its ridiculous!! Ill doANYTHING to try and avoid it.
    Also, ive had really bad experiences when i vomit. Everytime i vomit, i tend to choke on it and thats what scares me as well. Ugh i hate living like this !!!!!!!

I fear both myself and also other people. It's weird because when I was little I was mainly afraid of other people doing it, until it came to me actually doing it and then I'd hate that too. If you see what I mean. I don't know if I understood infectiousness or anything like that. Now, I'm more afraid of me doing it, whatever the reason (though the idea of a virus scares me more). If I know someone is being s* but it's not infectious, I can cope with that. But I'd still panic if I saw it happening etc. If someone is doing it and it is infectious, I'm utterly terrified, of course. Ugh.