Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have an appointment at the dentist today for a possible crown on the tooth I had a root canal on in November. I have 5 other teeth that need to be filled and I am going to beg him to do some of those before the crown. I want to put the crown off as long as I can. But, I'm afraid he will insist on doing the crown today and I absolutely HATE crowns! I have only had one other tooth crowned. This one is an upper tooth all the way back on the left side. So, of course I am afraid of gagging when they're working on my mouth, especially when they have to do the impression on that side. I did alright with the previous one, but it wasn't as far back as this tooth. That is the only thing that bothers me about the dentist is gagging. I don't really care about the pain. And, I hate having my mouth open that long!

Well, sorry to go on and on but I'm getting kind of anxious.

I'm sorry you are so nervous!!! Explain to your dentist that some things bother you--believe me, yu are not the only patient he sees with anxiety over seeing the dentist!!! Good luck!

Oh my Jess! I have been going through the dentist scare for 5-6 years now. Finally went to one, I had to my front teeth were bad.I have a few back teeth, but they will be gone because they are broke and have been getting infected. I had the root canals over the years, crowns and impressions done. Because of one bad experience I was afraid to go back. I found a dentist who is so gentle, constantly asking if I am ok. I can't stand the smell of latax and thank god he doesnt use that kind, I dont like it when my throat gets dry because I feel like gagging, he said we will give you some water. I just lift my hand and he will stop. Today you go to the dentist! I find it much easier breathing through my mouth than nose, because if I smell something through my nose and it starts to panic me I will freak out and leave!!! Tomorrow is my big day, 3 fillings in the bottom and then way at the back my upper tooth will be pulled! YIKES. The tooth has been broken for a long time and the gum has grown over where the hole was but a bit of tooth is still there and he said he may have to put a stitch in there. That freaked me out. But you know I feel that you can do this!!! Believe me with all the crap that I have been through you can do it. So let me know how you made out and I will do the same! If you have to tell the dentist you need a break to catch your breath.

I'm going to PM you.

I hate the Dentist too! I went after about 5 years, and had to have a root canal on the very last upper tooth. I was sooooo scared. I have the worst gag reflex ever. I went to this dentist, and I can actually say, it wasn't that bad! I told him all of my fears, and he was so nice to me about it. I even got to watch a movie while he was working on my tooth. It really took my mind off of things. So I would suggest that you bring maybe headphones with you and a couple of cd's it really calms your nerves and takes your mind off things. Good Luck.
    That which does not kill us only makes us stronger.