Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Concussion or stomach virus? Puzzled.

Hello.

This topic is not concerned with me but rather my dad.

His visit to the local pool with my 4 year old sister was ended abruptly about an hour ago after he was overcome with severe nausea and dizziness in a matter of minutes.

He vomited after which he managed to get home and is now in bed.

My question is, what is the cause of his condition?

I keep asking him questions about it and all he tells me is that he was hitting a pool ball with his head after which the symptoms overcame him.

My first reaction is that this is some sort of head injury or concussion, but this doesn't make much sense.

How much damage can a light pool rubber ball do to someone's head? Besides, he's been to the pool before with no such symptoms.

I tell him this, but he starts explaining something about his vestibular system and how he's sensitive to motion sickness.

This also doesn't make sense. Motion sickness in a pool? Never heard of it.

This leads me to believe that this is some sort of stomach virus, but he has no fever and no stomach ache or burning sensation. He also says that the onset of nausea was sudden and accompanied by severe dizziness and loss of orientation.

He claims the nausea and vomiting are actually caused by the vestibular unbalance rather than any virus.

He describes the feeling similar to sea sickness which he experienced years ago on a ferry.

I'm truly puzzled and have not answer to his condition.

What troubles me even more is that if this is some sort of freak head injury, it could be very serious and in need of immediate medical attention.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this strange case.

Default Re: Concussion or stomach virus? Puzzled.

Not strange at all. Look up Menier's Disease.

It could have been a vasovagal response. It can be triggered by tons of stuff and cause sudden dizziness and nausea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

I have problems with my ears and can suffer with the feeling of motion when I stop moving (eg after stepping off an exercise machine or escalator I feel like I'm still on it). After a particularly rough overnight ferry crossing, I felt like I was on the ferry for 3 more days! So I can see that a rhythmic head movement could trigger it, and actually cause vomiting in someone who suffers with motion sickness (I don't).

Just to clear up, he was up and moving in about 2 hours after the incident.

He's already eaten several times and there is no sign of any viral infection.

It seems like this is indeed related to his vestibular system and particular vulnerability to motion sickness.

Thanks for the answers, guys.