Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default emetophobia is starting to ruin my everyday life

****i apolgize in advance for grammar n spelling, im on my phone typing this****
    Hi I'm new here, I'm 15 (female) and emet is starting to take over my life now. It all started back in 6th grade; one day I ate alot of food(normal meals + hot cheetos,2 small Arizona iced teas, a bag of these nacho tiny triangle things, and the one thing that I am like deathly afraid of now: chocolate) so after ingesting all that crap when I had gotten home I went to my room. After a bit underneath the middle of my rib cage started hurting. Then at like 9pm my lymph glands? (under jaw near back) began to feel "big". Then I was taking alot of small sips of water and about maybe 6 tums total. I stayed up till I eventually fell asleep, only to be woken up at like 4am and take a sip of water and felt like throwing up. I ran to the bathroom n (well u know) it was horrible! The worst thing I think I've ever experienced! I remember trying to run away in mid-v*. It lasted about maybe an hr total. It was really traumatic. Ever since then I have not eaten a single piece of chocolate or anything made of coco powder/coco butter for fear of repeat. Even Arizona iced tea is kinda scary to me still. Now emet is really taking over my life.

I won't: fly, go on a boat, go on long car rides(3hr+), go on rides, try many new foods, eat fast food, eat alot, eat too little, eat strawberries/chocolate/peanuts/peanut butter/greasy-oily foods, go to foreign countries, swallow pills.
    Its gotten so bad to the point where I won't take new medications/vaccines if they say "may cause nausea/vomiting", freak myself out in situations where I want to hav fun but am afraid of getting sick, I'm afraid of even catching a cold now(not to mention stomach viruses) and afraid to break a bone for fear of intense pain that could cause vomiting, getting surgery(the anesthesia), going to the dentist(gagging).

Can someone please offer me advice? I've only told like a few of my friends n only one kinda has emet like me. The others think its rediculous that I'd rather die than take medicine that could make me vomit.

Default Re: emetophobia is starting to ruin my everyday life

I forgot to mention I sometimes have nightmares where I eat chocolate/something containing chocolate, n I desperately try to spit it all out and freak out the rest of my dream. It's really scary... God I feel so pathetic, who has nightmares about eating chocolate...

You're not pathetic. It's not your fault. Have you spoken to a doctor about how you're feeling? Do your parents know? Do you think it was an allergic reaction to chocolate all those years ago, or a virus?

Most medications list n*/v* as a possible side effect; most cause NO such effect in the majority of people. I'm so sorry you're having such a tough time with this, but things can honestly get better

No the doctor n my mom don't know. I've had gastritis a couple of times n choco n greasy_oily, acidy makes it act up but nothing serious. It was an allergic reaction, becuz now when I look back, there were times when I had a small piece of choco (like in 6th grade) or choco milk n I became sick within hours. The last time I had choco was in hawaii, I had a small brownie. It didn't make me sick but I felt realllllly sick like I had gastritis again.

this is exactly how my emet started and i am 14 also female! once i got carried away at a party i had ices cake ice cream chips and i felt so Nauseous* that night but i never Vomited* i never let myself ever since then this has completely ruined my life. I lost like 10 pounds because i am scraed to eat too much or certain foods. and i get terrible panic attacks. we all totally understand here i was so happy when i found this site welcome! we should talk some time we are very similar

Ya when I first got gastritis in 5th grade, I felt so sick I wouldnt eat anything. The most I could eat was an egg, some crackers and jello. I lost almost 30 pounds I think. Haha I've never really met anyone else my age who has emet.

Caitlin, here's a useful exercise. Take that list of things you don't do because of emet and put them in ranked order, from least likely to cause vomiting to most likely to cause vomiting. Then start doing what's number one on your list, and then two, and so on.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

am a new member to, joined today and although i cant offer you any advice on how to get over this, i can say i have the same as you and am taking comfort in finding similar people to me out there with the same phobia!

foreverrcaitlin i havent met anyone my age either! nice to meet u

its an everyday struggle i know. it alsmots sounds like really bad indegestion or reflux form eating all that food. do you hve any safe foods? try going to your docotr or talking to someone about it, it will make you feel better. and doug that sounds like a really good excercise!!
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

I'm a year old then you. It never really ruined my life, I'm going to peru - i'll be travelling up to altitide sickness - where people around me mite get sick. This one way i try and overcome my fear.. I'm scared of it. I'm scared in later life it will take an impact on me. I talk to my friends about it, try and talk to someone. Someone who would help you.

Im a 22 yr old mother of a 6 yr old and im emetophobic. I did not plan to have children it just happened and when i found out i was pregnant i knew that it would be extremly hard to be a mom with a emeto phobia. I am not scared to v* myself but i am scared of others around me being sick. When i think about read about or see pics or videos that involves v* i have a severe panic attact and my anxiety shoots up. When this occurs i am no longer in control. I was once in a car when my daughter v* and i opened the door while on the highway and my mom grabbed me by the shirt to pull me back in.i could not breathe and was shaking and crying uncontrolably i think i even scared my child lol. When my daughter says she feels sick i am constanly looking at her gestures and wont stop asking her if shes ok or if shes gonna v*. She even tells me i get on her nervs. I dont like to drive anywhere w my child to a far place, i always carry napkins and trashbags in my purse and car,i dont travel, dread going to public places in fear of her v* there seeing someone sick or her getting the tummy bug. T
    this phobia is just holding me back from living my life and enjoying being a mom. My family says im crazy to shut up cuz its annoying putting up with me complain about why i cant do certain things. i feel alone ,like no one understands me,wish they could step in my shoes for a day and see the torchure i go through everyday.

blah D; can somebady help me! im having a gastritis flare up and its burning BAD. im getting all worked up and parannoid/stressed. does anyone know any calming methods/ stop burning?

just slow deep breaths and put the tele on. play a game on fb or even try calling a freind up. its only heartburn or reflux by he sound of it.
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Thanx guys^^ ya I feel better after taking my mind off it and found a good "antacid" 1teaspoon baking soda + 8oz water. It's VERY bitter/salty but I'm used to it lol. That's what my liquid prilosec tastes like but x10 haha. @Barefoot contessa, I went to the doc today but it was for my foot ( I got an xray ) but I didn't ask for the med cuz my gastritis usually only flares occasionally and the med only lasts about a month in the fridge.