Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Alone or with others?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • I must be alone. My biggest fear is vomiting in front of another person.

56 30.94%
  • I prefer to be alone, but it really depends on the situation.

49 27.07%
  • I have no preference. I hate vomiting in all situations equally.

29 16.02%
  • I prefer to have someone with me, but it really depends on the situation.

23 12.71%
  • I must have someone with me. My biggeast fear is vomiting alone and feeling helpless.

24 13.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alone or with others?

If you HAVE to vomit, do you prefer to vomit while you're all alone, or with someone there to comfort and care for you?
    Last edited by 4077girl; 06-22-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Default Re: Alone or with others?

I insist on being alone (although the situation hasn't arisen in a long time). Emets aren't the only ones who feel this way. Once I was with a girl who was drunk and puking, and during a moment of lucidity, she said it's the most humiliating thing in the world to throw up in front of someone else.

I thought it was more humiliating to have someone watch you swallow 13 drinks, but I didn't tell her that.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Haha yeah, that's true, Doug. I've seen a handful of drunken girls vomiting, insisting the whole way through that everyone "Oh god, get away!!" Not so much with the guys; they tend to make it more of a contest or joke...

I'd definitely prefer to be alone, however, the only person who I would ever allow to be in a room with me is my mother. Even though I'm 21, I still call her or text her when I feel sick. I know that probably sounds really bad, but its a comfort factor with me.. she always makes me feel better and she is comforting and nurturing and really the only person who has ever understood my phobia.

But this got me thinking, am I the only one who feels that way with my mother? Does anyone have this with their mother or father?

I have to be alone. I hate the thought of anyone seeing me flail around and burp, gag, and heave. It's so humiliating. If I HAD to have someone with me, it'd be my dad. He's the one that cleaned up after me when I was little and was always there comforting me. My mom would gag and get sick herself. Lol. My BIGGEST fear EVER is my husband seeing or hearing me be sick. I'd be SO embarrassed.
    Jennifer

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it! Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised IT WOULD BE WORTH IT!"

My Emet Vlog:

I haven't left home yet so haven't really had the chance to be alone but I do always prefer my mum or dad to be there with me. Preferably my dad as my mum freaks out and gets cross (not in a nasty way, she is Emetophobic as well so I understand). I think I'd rather have someone there, but someone I trusted.

As for relationships clands, I have that with my mum too, well kind of. As I said she is also emetophobic so as much as I want to always discuss things with her I don't want to create more anxiety for her if that makes sense. When I am away from home or will be at uni in september I'm sure I will rely on her for comfort a lot more as there will be no chance of her getting 'contaminated' and so she won't worry so much x It's great that your mum is so supportive and I don't think that sounds bad that you call and text her for comfort at all

The only person I have ever vomited in front of is my mum. And now I've moved out, I don't call her or anything when I'm ill.

I prefer to do the deed alone, but get a hug afterwards. My boyfriend waits outside the door for me. One time he came in and patted my back, and it did help, but I felt ashamed that he had to see me do it when he was also not well.

You may find these links helpful!

Actually I was writing a response to another post, and I think when I was really little (say before age 5/6) I must have vomited in front of other family members but then I developed more 'vomit continence', since then I have only vomited in 'appropriate' places and only alone/with my mum.

I would prefer that no one was to be around me. I have worked in hospitals ad seeing people actually being sick in a room full of people would be a nightmare for me. At least if no one is home I can just lay around and try and cool down, my major issue is the hot feeling you get

I have to be alone! That's a reason I never go anywhere when I feel sick, I'm terrified of that! Its like this moment of weakeness, and I feel so vunerable, if someone was there to comfort me it would probably be worse.

i need someone...but just my mom or people that help.

I think I would need to be alone while it's happening (for both the sake of the other person, because no one likes to hear retching, and to spare my own embarrassment, because I wouldn't want anyone to know what I sound like when I'm heaving!)....my mom was there to hold my hair back & flush the toilet for me the last time I vomited seven years ago...she's not at all squeamish, not in the least, so it's great to have someone like her around when you're ill!

But if anything, I'd like a pat on the back afterward for comfort and reassurance....I'd hate to vomit and then have no one to help cheer me up soon afterward, that would sure suck! =P
    Panic at the thought of doing something is a challenge to do it.

It is really interesting to me how many of you prefer to be alone. I would be TERRIFIED to be alone when that is happening. I want either my sister or my husband with me, so there is someone to help calm me down and tell me I'm ok. I haven't been sick in 23 years, but I was almost sick last year and my husband was there, rubbing my back and joking around with me (in a nice way) and it made it so much less frightening for me.

I would much rather be alone. The last time it happened, which was quite some time ago, I was alone and I think it was better that way. My family is pretty good about scattering once they hear someone else is ill (probably where I get this trait from, hahaha), so I guess it's what I'm used to.

But if it was a serious enough situation and I was truly petrified, I would probably want someone to at least stand by just in case I needed them. I dunno, like the poll says. Depends on the situation.

Actually, I think I'd rather have one of my pets with me rather than a person....for instance, my cat always seems to know when I'm feeling ill, and when he senses it, he snuggles up to me to comfort me & it's just so sweet! =)

I bet it really would be comforting to have a dog or a cat by your side while "it" happens...they won't look away in disgust, they won't think any differently of you after the ordeal, you wouldn't really be alone, and it's always reassuring to have a big, warm, fuzzy creature to hug & hold on to after getting sick.<3
    Panic at the thought of doing something is a challenge to do it.

I HAVE to be alone, even if I just think I may V*, which is one of the many debilitating things about this phobia, I have to have an "exit strategy" just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSweetThinker View Post
    Actually, I think I'd rather have one of my pets with me rather than a person....for instance, my cat always seems to know when I'm feeling ill, and when he senses it, he snuggles up to me to comfort me & it's just so sweet! =)

I bet it really would be comforting to have a dog or a cat by your side while "it" happens...they won't look away in disgust, they won't think any differently of you after the ordeal, you wouldn't really be alone, and it's always reassuring to have a big, warm, fuzzy creature to hug & hold on to after getting sick.<3
    I don't even want my dog near me.

neat looking distribution. I thought there'd be a few more "must have someone with me" votes, though.

I would prefer to be alone but am equally petrified if I'm alone and feel nauseated. It's interesting that it's an embarrassment issue for most people. But what is it when you're afraid to do it alone too??? Anyone have any ideas on this one? I thought someone saying having your pet present was interesting. I would have my cats present, even though I might not be in the mood for them but I might want to hold them afterwards. Your pets wouldn't judge you or even know what was happening and wouldn't get grossed out. They're there to offer comfort anytime. I forget the name of it but doing something in the present like petting your pet helps when you feel panicky or anxiety. Bugs me, it's at the tip of my tongue! Maybe it's called "grounding", not sure. It's in one of my books.

Much, much prefer being alone! Reading through other peoples reasoning who also prefer to be alone kind of shows that perhaps we see being sick as a disgusting or dirty, unnatural thing. This phobia is far to fickle o.O

I prefer to be alone. I remember in high school once, I had just swam laps of a 50m pool, and I must have overdone it because I felt SO sick after it. This was during a PE class for school, so one of my classmates was with me. I told her I thought I was going to vomit so we went to the first aid room and they gave me a sick bag. My friend just stood there watching me and I got really angry and yelled at her to just go because I didn't know why she would just stand there watching. This was even before I had the phobia. Now that I have the phobia, I still find it embarrassing to think that people might see or hear me vomit. Thankfully no one ever has. Other than that one friend who saw me heave a couple of times but left before I was sick.

Red face Re: Alone or with others?

I have never vomited without my mother or father by my side. I feel as though I can't do it without them. Now I am married, and mommy and daddy are not always there. Don't know what I am going to do when it happens again!

"I am beautiful, no matter what they say..." ~Christina Aguilera~

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid View Post
    But what is it when you're afraid to do it alone too??? Anyone have any ideas on this one?.
    Still emetophobia. I'm scared to do it no matter what the circumstances, but if I HAVE to do it, I must be alone, even if it means screaming at my ex to get the hell away from me while I freak out in the middle of the woods in a rain storm becuase I didn't want to do it at home (where I had room mates who might hear it).

I'd much rather be alone!!! I actually run down the hall to the other bathroom if I'm sick during the night, to spare my husband from hearing/seeing me. I would be mortified if he saw me vomit. I actually got sick in school in elementary school in front of my whole class, and it was horrifying!!!!!

I don't really know what I prefer. I do need someone there afterwards because the event is always followed by a complete melt down; tears, sobs, and shaking. My fear is always the worst afterwards.

When I was young I always wanted a parent there with me. Now that I'm older, I want to be alone. I guess there's an embarrassment factor now that there wasn't before.

Hi, for me it would depend who the other person was. I have one great friend (ex-boyfriend) who really does understand and he is so gentle and caring, yet also strong and supportive. He wouldn't have a reaction if I were to panic, whereas others would quickly become impatient and stressed by me, which in turn would make me even worse!

Quote Originally Posted by clands View Post
    I'd definitely prefer to be alone, however, the only person who I would ever allow to be in a room with me is my mother. Even though I'm 21, I still call her or text her when I feel sick. I know that probably sounds really bad, but its a comfort factor with me.. she always makes me feel better and she is comforting and nurturing and really the only person who has ever understood my phobia.

But this got me thinking, am I the only one who feels that way with my mother? Does anyone have this with their mother or father?
    I don't want to ever be alone when I feel ill. It makes it so much worse if I'm on my own.

And if I feel unwell I will usually try and find someone to talk to or something to distract myself (such as the internet). I have phoned my mam a LOT before. The thought that one day I will probably have to be s* on my own terrifies me. If I have someone's hand to hold and someone who can take care of me, I might be able to get through it, but never, ever, ever, EVER can I imagine being on my own.

Oh, I'm rambling. So yes, clands, I have that with my mother. Although last time she shouted at me and made me feel miserable and I actually cried, so my 'person' has now deferred to my other half (he lives 300 miles away just now).

i like to have my mom with me
    she probably doesnt enjoy the experience, but it makes everything a tiny bit better knowing that she can help

My worst fear is v* alone. I'm still petrified of v* in ANY situation but I can't bear the thought of being alone. I need someone to babble at and someone to reassure me/take my mind off it.

Ideally I'd have my mum or sister with me. They are both nurses and know I'm emetophobic and would handle it well. They deal with v* everyday! They were both with me when I last v* 17 years ago and dealt with it with no fuss at all. That's what annoys me about the fact I became emet - because v* was never a 'bad' thing when I was growning up; it was treated as a normal illness and I was looked after well.

Alternatively if I was with someone I truly hated, I could at least aim the v*ing action at them :-)

Someone mentioned pets earlier - I remember the last time I v* my cat was sitting on the arm of the nearest sofa looking on in bewilderment at me spending half the night with my head in a bucket. It was comforting though to have him there as he was blissfully ignorant of the situation!