Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question summer + sickness

What is the likelihood that someone would get sick with a viral illness during the warmer months? How do other emets fair in summer?

Default Re: summer + sickness

I just had a virus this weekend. I was running a fever for a day and had a splitting headache. I'm pretty much fine now. I think I caught it from my co-worker who she and her kids were all sick last week. It happens.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

i used to always think that SV's didnt exist in the warmer months. i always felt so free during summer. but now that i know its not true, i worry the same. maybe not as much because i dont usually hear about something going around, but now that i know its a possiblity i still worry. i hate it! why cant it just go away!

I only get sick in the summer... But it might be because it gets minus 40 where I live, so nobody goes outside in the winter
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    ~Herm Albright

I have only ever vomited in winter, and that was when I was a kid. The last time I was nauseated and close to vomiting was in July, but I never figured out what caused that.

A common cause of summer vomiting is people spreading gastroenteritis at beaches. Beach water isn't chlorinated like pool water, so even at the peak of winter vomiting season, you have some protection from other bathers. A baby in diapers can spread gastroenteritis to an entire beach by contaminating the water.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    I have only ever vomited in winter, and that was when I was a kid. The last time I was nauseated and close to vomiting was in July, but I never figured out what caused that.

A common cause of summer vomiting is people spreading gastroenteritis at beaches. Beach water isn't chlorinated like pool water, so even at the peak of winter vomiting season, you have some protection from other bathers. A baby in diapers can spread gastroenteritis to an entire beach by contaminating the water.

Doug
    Are you sure about that Doug? A swimming pool versus the ocean is apples and oranges. I've spent a lot of time swimming in natural bodies of water, with no ill effects. There is a lot of turnover of the water and for goodness sakes you would never ingest it on purpose. I'd assume most summer illness in norovirus or FP just like in 'the season.'

Quote Originally Posted by jkl81 View Post
    Are you sure about that Doug? A swimming pool versus the ocean is apples and oranges. I've spent a lot of time swimming in natural bodies of water, with no ill effects. There is a lot of turnover of the water and for goodness sakes you would never ingest it on purpose. I'd assume most summer illness in norovirus or FP just like in 'the season.'
    Me too. I swim at beaches all through summer (even though I really hate the beach) and I've never had any ill effects and nor have any of the people I know. You'd think that the constant movement and circulation of the water would make it so it's safe to swim in the beach. I've always been told that sea water is very, very safe. Personally, and this isn't meant to be offensive, I think that this is just fear mongering. People needn't be afraid of swimming in the ocean. It poses little risk, if any.
    Come visit my history blog:

It's not fear mongering if someone asks a question about contracting viruses in summer and somebody gives an honest answer. imho if we don't answer sometimes with facts that are hard to hear, but rather say nothing or lie about it, then nobody will trust us when we answer that something is safe. Here's a link to just one coastal state's website about the quality of sea water. Swimming and surfing can be just as risky for contracting viruses as eating raw oysters which "filter" those pathogens. Sadly, our oceans are polluted and filthy - thanks to "treated" sewage being dumped back in there plus a million other things.

Having said all this, I would still swim in it unless the parks board or whoever the governing body is closes it down. They usually test for fecal count bacteria (not necessarily viruses). But norovirus isn't dangerous or harmful. That's the thing. Sounds strange to an emetophobe but it's true. The problem is never norovirus. The problem is always anxiety about something that's not harmful or dangerous.

Here's that link: http://www.cleanoceanaction.org/index.php?id=493
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I suppose it varies for everyone, but I think every time I have been sick like that has been in the fall/winter months. When people are more cooped up inside and in such close contact.

But stuff goes around. It varies. As long as you're thorough and consistent with hand-washing and such, there isn't much else you can do.

I don't know. I guess I didn't mean fear mongering as such. I just think that people are afraid enough as it is. Swimming at the beach shouldn't be added if it's not already there. I guess that happens a lot though...
    They really do take very good care of beaches. There's one near my house which isn't even a nice beach to swim at but they clean it religiously, and the water gets tested often, and it's perfectly safe to swim at them. I don't know exactly what they do, but we get a report on it in our local paper.
    Come visit my history blog:

Last edited by mama; 02-05-2012 at 08:00 AM.

oooor Sage... chunks and chowder in the ocean..... I'm neversdwimming in the sea again. Interesting to find out what effect this is having on our eco system. Emet aside, It's criminal what pollutants are being pumped into the sea

Heat makes me feel sick, cold air makes me feel better - so even if it is more common to catch a bug in the winter, I find more relief in the colder weather. At least if I feel sick, I can get some REAL fresh air.

Natural bodies of water are also constantly moving, are generally at a colder temperature than the human body, and are constantly being treated with intense amounts of UV light... not saying there's no risk of getting sick from swimming in naturally occurring bodies of water, but it's not like it's just water stagnating with germs.

PSA: That said, hey Moms, FLUSH YOUR KIDS POO!! Even in a disposable diaper, you are supposed to flush the poo so it can be treated at a sewage treatment plant! Throwing away poop leads to human poo germs getting into ground water and other places we really don't want it! Disposable diaper manufacturers recommend this, just no one listens :\
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.