Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Silver as a natural disinfectant?

has anyone heard of this? I keep hearing about these products sold by norwex.. one of the products is a microfiber cloth with silver in it to trap and suffocate germs (bacteria AND viruses) I watched a demonstrative video where a girl put raw chicken on a counter, rubbed it around.. swabbed it with a medical swab that had colors, green for clean, grey for unsure, and purple for contaminated.. the first swab of course was of course purple..then all she did was get a microfiber cloth wet, wiped the counter, and then swabbed it again, and the swab was green.

no chemicals, or anything.. I'm skeptical but at the same time, I'm like "WOW!" because if it really works this is a way to clean without worrying about germs mutating to be tolerante of disinfectants.

when someone is sick in my home, you walk in my house and it smells worse than a hospital. When I clean my toilet, shower, etc, it burns my throat..

. Back when there were breakouts of the plague the rich would eat from silver forks and spoons (hence the name silverware) to keep from getting sick! That's where the phrase "born with a silver spoon in their mouth" came from, referring to a baby born into wealth. Silver suffocates the bacteria, germs, mold, mildew, yeasts etc so they can't continue to reproduce!

and I guess there are even hospitals using these products?

Here is the norwex website: http://www.norwex.com/

I just want your opinions on this..

Default Re: Silver as a natural disinfectant?

They put silver in the curtains between hospital beds to help prevent superbug infections spreading.

I like the idea of using a silver cloth for general cleaning in the kitchen, eg walls, cupboard doors, floor, even worksurfaces that haven't had high risk foods on. But I would continue to wash my chopping board after using it! I mean it's all well and good it removing the germs, but on the chopping board you still have minute bits of food, which could harbour germs inside.

Same in the bathroom, I would use a silver cloth to clean the less dirty surfaces in the shower and sink, but would probably continue to use disposable bleach wipes on the toilet seat etc.

Default Re: Silver as a natural disinfectant?

I agree with you rebecca!