Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New here - therapist dropped me

Emetophobia isn't the only thing I struggle with but having emet is what led me to therapy and getting help through my school. They put me on alot of different meds, within the course of a year and I did things like journal therapy, group therapy, I joined groups on campus, I took every step my therapist asked except for the exposure thing. And yet somehow I got kicked out. I was told that I wasnt progressing and didnt seem happy. She proceeded to call me a zombie ( I was on a high dose of Ativan and took anti-nausea meds daily at the time, excuse me for not doing cartwheels into ur office, lady!) and referred me out. She told me that going back to the school psychologist would be a waste of her time because they couldnt help me. I had been in therapy with this woman for a year and she pretty much dropped me. Now it was coming to the end of the cutoff date for school provided therapy, so I will give her that, but thats not a good ending point. I was left with no one to talk to because she told the girls in my group to cease all contact. And I havent been back in any therapy since.At the moment, I dont have insurance, my parents (whom I live with, sigh) arent willing to help me pay for sessions or even drive me there. I want to see if I can get aid through the state but I went on the site and saw that I would have to somehow get downtown to have an evaluation and just the thought of that freaked me out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get over this and get some help? Its been at least 5 years with no treatment at all and I feel like my life is on pause.

Default Re: New here - therapist dropped me

that's amazaing after all the time that you've put in with the therapist.

i hope that you can find some help and comfort from the members in here.......

welcome
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Are you in the US? Try contacting your county mental health office. There may be a wait, but I don't believe they can turn you away. They should be able to help you apply for state insurance (medicaid type stuff). If you need help tracking down the right number, drop me a PM with some more info (where you live, specifically) and I'll see if I can figure it out for you. I'm an MSW and pretty good at locating services.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Quote Originally Posted by olschesky View Post
    that's amazaing after all the time that you've put in with the therapist.

i hope that you can find some help and comfort from the members in here.......

welcome
    Thank you very much, I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by wargerbil View Post
    Are you in the US? Try contacting your county mental health office. There may be a wait, but I don't believe they can turn you away. They should be able to help you apply for state insurance (medicaid type stuff). If you need help tracking down the right number, drop me a PM with some more info (where you live, specifically) and I'll see if I can figure it out for you. I'm an MSW and pretty good at locating services.
    Yes I'm in the Boston area. I tried to PM you but it won't let me, not enough posts or something.

Well, the state dept of mental health is:
    Department of Mental Health
    25 Staniford Street
    Boston, MA 02114
    Phone: 617-626-8123
    Fax: 617-626-8131

That'd be a place to start to ask about your closest public mental health department. Ask them where you can get free/sliding scale mental health services, and how you can apply for state insurance. This is MA's website about applying for subsidized health insurance: https://www.mahealthconnector.org/po...ite/connector/ I'd check that out either way.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Hi Paisley! Welcome to the site. If you follow the link below to my website I do have a "self-help" section there that might be helpful if you can't afford therapy right now. It is difficult and I'm so sorry to hear that your last therapist stopped treatment. Sometimes therapists literally just don't know what to do. So it's not necessarily about you, it's about them.

I hope you find lots of information, help and support here. Take care!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Thank you Wargerbil, I've been referred to a therapist with a sliding scale fee but there's a waiting list, which is okay, better than nothings, so thank you very much for the information.</p>Thank you, Sage. I had a look and that self-help section seems very helpful, thank you again!