Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Do/did you ever want to a job that may include vomit?

Quote Originally Posted by livepink View Post
    I think you should definitely go for it if that's what you want to do I became a CNA and before that if I even saw v* I would practically pass out but now I can clean it up as long as I don't breathe haha. If I see it happen it's a different story but you do get used to it and realize it's really only food and as long as you practice good hygiene you should be fine. don't let this fear hold you back because you are capable of overcoming it !
    I totally agree with this post! And you actually DO get kind of used to it. I'm a flight attendant and have been for 10+ years and have seen my share of vomit over the years. Of course I have 6-10 other coworkers on board with me and that makes it a little easier but I have dealt with it plenty by myself. When I first started flying I would be absolutely paralyzed with fear if someone even said they felt ill....and if they happened to get sick I'd be shaking like crazy and end up starving myself for a week. I was a total mess and thought about quitting many times.

But I didn't, and I love my job and couldn't imagine doing anything else. Now I still get a bit anxious if someone is sick, but I mostly feel horrible for the passenger and try to help them in any way I can.

Emet should never hold you back from doing what you love...and I didn't ever want to look back and regret not doing something because of it.

I would really love to be a teacher but my emet is totally holding me back from getting my degree in education. I couldn't deal with children around me 24/7 (except my own) and having to deal with them possibly being sick and all the germs around me!
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

I used to want to follow in my dad's footsteps and join the military, but I found out a few years that they don't accept people with some of the health problems I have (especially my heart problem and joint problems). I was mad at first, but then I realized that it made sense not to let unhealthy people in the military, as they have a higher chance of getting hurt. And then I thought about basic training and how much I and the other soldiers would probably v*. I do wish I could join the military, but I guess there are plenty of other jobs I could have.

Ever since I was a very young girl, I have loved animals. I wanted to be a farmer/rancher, and for a while I wanted to be a veterinarian, but I decided against the vet job because I'd have to deal with sick and hurt pets (and they may v*). Now my probable job is a zookeeper job at the aquarium at the Henry Doorly Zoo. While I continue my college classes, I'll probably try to get a job at a pet shop. I'm an expert when it comes to fish (what I find strange is that I know much more than most of the pet shop people around here, but then again, I'm a biology student and I read a lot of ichthyology stuff).
    What I'm getting at here is that I probably wouldn't have to deal with much v* if I'm working behind the scenes at the aquarium. It's nice that my dream job doesn't deal with that kind of stuff.

Yes, I want to be a nurse, but that im terrified of. My mom and everyone around me is all like "oh you'll get used to it so quickly" but I have no idea if I will or not, especially being an emet. If I chicken out I am deffinatly still doing something in the medical field whether its an ultrasound tech, lab tech, neurologist etc.

I wanted to be a nurse but changed my mind to physical therapist. To be honest, it had a little to do with my emet but I know I could still see v* if I work in a hospital. Physical therapist just seems like it suits me better anyway and I won't let the occasional v* scare (if I worked in a hospital not privately) stop me from doing what I want.

i really want to be in a rock band - as ridiculous as it sounds - and go on tour and stuff, and being on a bus with other people is pretty much as far as im willing to go as a job including sick...

No way. I work front desk at hotels and I refuse to work at any that do not have 24 hour housekeeping team because if it happened in my lobby, I would not want anything to do with it. I may even need to go home sick from knowing about it.

I dont work directly with v* but it gets talked about a lot, quite graphically too. I was offered a job at an inpatient unit for people with eating disorders. I turned it down because the hours on top of the commute was too long, but i think i would have been okay.

I was mostly fine with people v* when I worked as a health care assistant.
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I just got offered a part time job looking after kids. I've been doing a lot better with my emet (only for about a week but even so :-) )and decided to take it thinking the challenge would be good for me but I've been feeling bad today and now I'm worried I won't be able to cope if one of the children gets ill. Apart from that I really want to do it-hopefully will feel more positive about it tomorrow!