Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How do you react when someone tells you they feel sick?

i have an immediate panick attack, i hate being rude to people, but i avoid them in fear they will be sick. and i cry:/

i usually keep my space and ask why... and what they are feeling... then i start going through research ive done on stomach bugs and if they have a few i stay away and constantly text them asking if they are ok.. if they have v* ... if they have diarrhea... and with their answers...i either feel worse or feel better... and if its worse... i usually stay away and closed up in the house for 2-3 days only eating crackers.... :/

For me, it doesn't matter if they say they feel bad.
    I go into panic mode and try to get as far away as possible, ASAP:/

It depends where I am and who the person is.

If it is in work, I will go all sweaty and shaky and try to stay away from/avoid talking to that person for the rest of the day.

I do some voluntary work with children, if its one of them, I'll get them a seat at the corner of the room, a glass of water, and sit with them. I find that most of the time they say it because they feel they are being left out of a game etc, or they've just been running a bit mad. They are generally okay.

I get all panicky and have to verify if they feel like theyre going to v* or that they just don't feel very good. If they feel like theyre going to v* I automatically try to tkae controll of the situation like make sure theyre near a toilet or that there is somebody else with me and sort of make them help them. It depends on the situation.

I do the same thing =)

Sorry I'm new at this, I meant to reply to someone. I ask them what kind, and if it's V*, then I go as far away as possible. Or if I can't , I start to panic and feel sick myself.

i try to leave the situation.

I tend to start freaking out, but un-noticably. My heart starts beating fast, I get shaky and really I want to leave the area as soon as possible.

I have an instant anxiety attack.... I will literally run in any directions possible to get as far away from them as possible. I feel like I am going to lose my mind.

I run. I cannot be around it, hear or see it. It is my biggest trigger

I get as far away from them as I can, I can`t imagine what I`d do if we were stuck in a lift or some other place with no escape route. That would be bad, very, very bad!

I really like this poll, I didn't know others also felt this way when others felt sick. But I usually stay a good amount of feet away from them and ask them over and over again if they think they are going to get sick. I will also hold my sleeve over my nose and mouth and stare them down to watch for signs of sickness. Its weird, I kind of feel a curiosity for it to happen but I also feel panicked and nervous and grossed out. I think my brain tries to torture me sometimes. Does anyone ever feel this way? Like you want to see it but know you will just end up in a panic mode? Or yourself getting sick?

Quote Originally Posted by meg_pro View Post
    I really like this poll, I didn't know others also felt this way when others felt sick. But I usually stay a good amount of feet away from them and ask them over and over again if they think they are going to get sick. I will also hold my sleeve over my nose and mouth and stare them down to watch for signs of sickness. Its weird, I kind of feel a curiosity for it to happen but I also feel panicked and nervous and grossed out. I think my brain tries to torture me sometimes. Does anyone ever feel this way? Like you want to see it but know you will just end up in a panic mode? Or yourself getting sick?
    Omg, i feel exactly the same! ive never realised thats how i reacted before, its like i want it to happen but dread it the same time, its weird, thnx for pointing it out.

I can relate to just about every comment/experience here. I, too, immediately find a strong desire to isolate myself from the person who is about to be sick (or did get sick) and I often say rude and heartless things. Well, the "old me" did those things to the extreme. The "new me" that has been following the Emetophobia Recovery System has a little more control over my conscious actions so that I can stay more composed around the sick person without getting defensive and calling names. Being a mother of 4 children, this is an improvement, since I certainly don't want to make my children feel worse or self-conscious due to my actions and verbal criticism. My husband of 15 years recently confessed that my phobia has caused him to resent me because I let me fear stop us from really living. Therefore, beating my emetophobia is crucial for saving my marriage. My subconscious actions are still in need of work: the shaking, desire to flee, mind racing, etc. are still quite strong and seem to sweep through me instantly before I even have a chance to realize what is happening. I hope to soon gain better control over these effects.

I instantly feel my heart stop, stomach turn, and then I get a Panic attack.
    My YouTube Channel:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Emet Blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I find some way of escape before the panic attack sets in. >_> But I feel pretty mean doing so. :/ People think it's kinda heartless of me.

I usually ask a lot of questions

oh my god, I do the exact same thing, keep probing until I know the exact kind of sick they mean so I can go home and stew and not eat for a few days ! Im so pathetic why I can't rationalise it in my brain is beyond me! I can't just let it go and think to myself its nothing I have to probe and get the exact details out of them!

I always ask what type of sick they feel like. Then I dart right the hell out of there so quick you'd think I had a superpower.

I point the direction of the nearest exit and state a simple phrase. "Go... Now, goooo"
    Then I get anxiety and take a Promethazine >.>

It usually doesn't bug me oddly, my dad always says he feels like shit then I ask him what he means, he says nauseous shaky weak. He gets like that when he doen't eat something energizing. But I still interrogate them down to the T about what exactly they're feeling. Then I offer them what I take for nausea and hope it works for them.

I definately become the crazy question lady.

Whats the matter?
    Do you feel nausesous?
    Are you going to throw up?
    OMG, are you ok now??
    Do You feel better yet?

I get very annoying and if the person is over my house, I even make up excuses telling them that I think they should go home and rest haha

First I feel sick and anxious and start to shake. Then I ask them "What hurts?". If it is their stomach then I find an excuse to get as far away from them as possible.

Yeah, like a lot of people, I'll come right out and ask what kind of sick. If it's anything stomach related, I move away as quickly as possible. Usually with lots of forceful exhaling, they can think I'm weird/rude all they want, I really could care less. Just as long as I don't get sick.

Unless, it's my one of my friends/co-workers. He was born with a stomach condition, so he always seems to feel sick. Though because of surgery he had when he was younger he can't actually become ill.

I at first get really panicky, then i ask whats bothering them.. and if they say they feel like theyre gonna v* i ask why they think, like if they have a bug, or drank too much or something. But either way i try and stay farrrr away from them!

Initial Reaction: I get a twinge of anxiety

Second Reaction: I ask twenty questions, whats the matter? How do you feel? Is it your stomach? Are you going to throw up?

Third Reaction: If its stomach nausea or anything I try and convince the person to go home lol I'm a bad friend after they leave, then I can breathe again lol

Question Re: How do you react when someone tells you they feel sick?

I'm so happy I found people to relate too. Growing up I could fathom why I was so incredibly different than everyone else and why I had these feelings! I do the exact same as everyone else has posted but the question is, what do you do when you feel sick? We can't get away from me every once in a while.. I don't eat for at least three days, don't drink and dehydrate myself. Have a panic attack and feel I am dying. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy. I felt sick last week and made him drive me to the hospital in the middle of the night. Just getting out of the house calmed my nerves but I defiantly need help. I'm new to this site so any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Erica1649 View Post
    I definately become the crazy question lady.

Whats the matter?
    Do you feel nausesous?
    Are you going to throw up?
    OMG, are you ok now??
    Do You feel better yet?

I get very annoying and if the person is over my house, I even make up excuses telling them that I think they should go home and rest haha

im the same, i bug the crap out of my kids and wife when they are ill. i constantly ask my kid if she is ok, it's like i cannot stop. thats the worst part of me having this.
    Last edited by fixxxer2012; 01-17-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Wow, did anybody else notice I answered this twice on two different days??? I think I'm losing my mind haha....

At least my story was the same both times haha wow I'm embarrassed. I need a vacation!