Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How do you react when someone tells you they feel sick?

I get illogical thoughts. Generally, if someone says they are sick I ask them about their symptoms. Sometimes I freak out when I hear that someone is sick. It all depends on the type of sickness though.
    I write electronic music! Check out my music here:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All my music is free! Enjoy! PM me and let me know what you think of my music.

There is hope:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I ask the person what type of sick they are. If they are feeling nauseous, I instantly become nauseous. I will try to get away from or avoid the person if I can. If I'm trapped, like in a car, and I can't avoid the person, I will get panicky. The longer I am around them the worse it will get, and it won't go away until I have been away from them for an hour or more. If the person has a contagious ailment, I will feel as if I've contracted it instantly. Best bet: flee.

I have that one asshole friend that is 20 years old but acts like she's seven. She insists on making retching noises in my face when she knows it freaks me out. I've told her countless times and accidentally slapped her in the face once. She deserved it...

But I freak out. I will run away. I will run or swim or hike or fly away. I will do anything to get away from the sound. It terrifies me.

If its my partner telling me this (he says it a lot) I instantly start firing questions at him

"what sort of sick feeling is it?"

"have you had diorrhea?"

"do you have stomach pain?"

Then I say to him "it's probably just trapped has or something" only trying to reassure myself.

When someone tells me they're sick, it turns into an interigation room. I ask them about a million questions and if I come to the conclusion that it is SICK sick. I act like someone said that a flesh eating bacteria is lose in the room. I PANIC, I have been known to take bleach baths if I have been around someone who has felt SICK sick. That is how insane I am. I'm just crazy, I know I am and I hate it.

when i think someone is sick and may v i get quickly away from them....i have such a fear they may v on me....and i couldn't stand to even look at v or the smell. i won't be near anyone in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneGoodallFan View Post
    go away to my room all day
    ^ Pretty much this.

First off I would ask what kind of sick or if they ate something that could've disagreed with their stomach, or if they know if anyone is sick....to try and figure out what is causing the sick feeling and whether or not they're contagious. All the while I'd be kinda keeping my distance from them. And once I found out they may have caught something (or they really don't know) I would keep my distance by leaving or staying away, then washing my hands, and stay in my room while contacting them somehow (text or something), explain why I reacted the way I reacted (if they don't already know I'm emetophobic), and ask for updates on their condition. And then kinda stay in my room to calm myself. And then probably avoid that person for a little while.

I was actually pretty proud of myself at the weekend- my sister in law said she wasn't feeling great, so I asked her and she said her stomach felt off and she probably had what her little girl had last week. At which point my heart dropped (especially as I already wasn't feeling good). But I did really well, not pestering her and constantly asking questions like I normally would. I just made sure that when I went to the bathroom I used the upstairs one, so if my SIL needed it she could go downstairs which was closer.

I internally freak out, but because I'm so terrified of being sick I just think of how horrible that person must feel and my instinct to appear calm and care for them takes over. Usually I'll be shaking the whole time though. This only makes my anxiety worse, since I've then exposed myself to illness.

It all depends on who I am around. If it is someone that knows my issues, I will ask them a MILLION questions. If it is someone I don't know, I freak out on the inside and watch them like a hawk!

my entire body goes numb and tingly and then i have to ask what they mean by sick.then i ask if they have been near anyone whos been sick with the puker.then for the next week straight i will be in a panic attack

I ask what kind of sick. Cause there are different types of sick. It sucks, my partner refers to his mental illness as "sick", so when he says he feels sick, he usually means mentally, not phsycally. It upsets him when I react badly to what he says, because I withdraw instantly and ask what kind of sick, which makes him feel bad. :/ he gets grumpy and says I treat him like a leper, especially when he is n*

I always ask what kind of sick and if it has to do something with v* or n* I ask them details.
    One of my friends sometimes has nausea and stomach pain so when she says she is n* I'm calm because I know it's not unusual for her and that it's not a bug.

I shout "Go to the toilet!" and run away.