Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New member and need help!

Hello, I've just stumbled accross this website while I was searching for tips on helping my emetophobia. I'm very happy I found this site because I feel it's a friendly, open environment where I can be myself and get guinuine help.

I've been struggling on and off with my phobia for about 8 years now. I am currently 18 years old and this phobia runs my life.

My phobia is very specific. I am not scared about catching a sickness and I don't mind actually seeing vomit or seeing somebody vomit. My fear is this - I am afraid I will vomit. This is what routinely happens:
    it's usually before I'm leaving to go somewhere but sometimes I just have an attack out of nowhere. I'll have a sudden thought "what if I throw up?" then I start to panic. I feel like I'm going to throw up and there's nothing I can do about it. I realize it's completely in my mind but I don't know how to stop it.

Any tips or suggestions to get me going in the right direction? Thanks!

Default Re: New member and need help!

Hey. I have the same problem. I don't really care if someone else puked other then if they have a stomach virus. That's the only time i worry because i don't want to get sick and vomit. But I have a fear of MYSELF vomiting. Im 21 and I've been this way since I was 7. Its so frustrating. I feel you <3 it will get better. I still have faith.

Quote Originally Posted by patricksgirl32 View Post
    Hey. I have the same problem. I don't really care if someone else puked other then if they have a stomach virus. That's the only time i worry because i don't want to get sick and vomit. But I have a fear of MYSELF vomiting. Im 21 and I've been this way since I was 7. Its so frustrating. I feel you <3 it will get better. I still have faith.
    Hey since this is my first post, I can't PM you :[ I was wondering if you'd be okay with exchanging phone numbers and texting about our specific emetophobic fear and help each other maybe?

That's cool I sent you a message about FB I hope you have one!!!!

I'm the same. I don't care if someone else vomits unless they have a stomach virus because then there's the possibility I can catch it. Other than that, I can even take care of someone who's sick, like holding their hair back and even cleaning it up if I have to. I don't mind seeing vomit or watching movies with vomit scenes. And like you, every time I leave my house or if someone's coming over to visit, my immediate thought is "what if I vomit?" and then I feel anxious and of course start feeling queasy. I don't know why I have this thought because it never happens so I can't be of any help to you other than to tell you that you're not alone with this specific fear.