Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Laughing gas (nitrous oxide) and nausea?

So, much to my dismay, I've found two cavities in my teeth...so of course I'll need to get fillings, and soon, before the cavities get any bigger & actually become painful!

But my nerves have been very on-end lately, and the prospect of being stuck in a dentist's chair and enduring two uncomfortable (and slightly painful, from my past experiences) fillings would definitely trigger massive anxiety (and thus, anxiety-nausea)...so I'm thinking about asking for laughing gas to calm my nerves during the procedure.

I've had laughing gas before ages ago, back when I was really young (& non-emet), so I don't really remember the side effects...but I've read that nausea, dizziness, & headaches can occur, usually only if the dosage of NO2 is too high....and of course, each of those possible side effects can lead to v*, so I wanted to ask if anyone here has ever had such negative reactions to laughing gas? Are they preventable? Advice would be appreciated!
    Panic at the thought of doing something is a challenge to do it.

Default Re: Laughing gas (nitrous oxide) and nausea?

I don't think many dentists use nitrous oxide anymore. It is very emeto-safe, anyway.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh wow they don't? Haha I wouldn't know, again I haven't had laughing gas since I was about nine....times have changed I guess!

I'll ask my dentist about it just in case, but it's comforting to know NO2 is emeto-approved! Thanks

Perhaps a benzodiazapene type drug like Valium would help you, or maybe even sedation? It would be worth asking your dentist or doctor about all the options available - there are quite a few!

NO2 generally doesn't cause n* in small doses like in a dentist's chair, but often does in higher doses such as with general anaesthetic. But it isn't really used often anymore because there are other sedation/anti anxiety meds that are more effective and have more favorable side effect and safety profiles.
    Last edited by barbiegirl; 07-18-2011 at 02:34 AM.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

Well, looks like I've got a plethora of calming drugs to choose from! I didn't know there were other choices besides NO2...I'll definitely ask my dentist about the options.

My only concern is for escaping the anxiety rather than the slight pain of the drill (which I can handle, unlike my general nervousness), so I probably don't need anything too strong to calm me. Thanks again for the replies everyone. =)

So...you also have a hard time getting numb? I wonder if this is due to anxiety. The last couple cavities I had filled were slightly painful epsecially as the dentist got to the end of them. I have avoided the dentist for almost 2 years since.....but still taken good care of my teeth. I'm sure she'll be filling a few cavities, it would be hard to imagine I'd get that lucky not to have them after 2 years....and hopefully nothing worse.

I went to the dentist a month ago and the did 2 cavities. The numb thingy they put in your gum wont make you n* or v*, it wont do anything but be numb for hours after. Thats all
    Why blame God for every tear when you don't thank him for every smile?

Know what's funny? They numb half your face then make you try and take that mouthwashy stuff. I reckon they find it hilarious as poor unsuspecting numb-faced patients pour it down themselves.
    "The hulking beast that is Fear incarnate will show itself when you expect it least, and every fibre of your being will demand that you turn heel and take flight. But there is another way, and if you wish a free existence it is the only way; draw your sword, raise your shield, scream your own challenge and charge! For only the blade of courage can fell Fear himself."

Oh sure, they numb your gums pretty well, but I can still recall that acute discomfort of the drill directly on my tooth!

But anyway I'm not really worried about the physical discomfort involved with actual procedure, I just know I need to be calm while it's happening...it makes me nervous as hell to know that I'm stuck somewhere (like the dentist's chair) and that I cannot leave...a kind of claustrophobia associated with my emetophobia, lol....

And I agree Strannik, those cheeky dentists probably do get their kicks from watching us numbed patients dribble all over ourselves! But I can't fault them too much cause I find it rather funny too

The one time I was given nitrous it made me v*. It was a long time ago, but I wouldn't use it again.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

I, too, only had it verrry young...and I remember I couldn't eat breakfast before I had it. So not sure if you need to have an empty stomach...but there are a lot of new techniques and sedatives out there, so definitely find out first. Let us know, I would be curious...

One more reason I'm glad I'm emeto-resistant. The dentist gave me an excessive dose of nitrous oxide when I was 8. It was the only anesthetic he used. No novocaine. I hadn't taken any precautions beforehand (i.e., I ate as usual), and he gave me a large enough dose that I was hallucinating about the music on the radio. I didn't puke or even feel like it. I had nitrous many times after that but remember that as the biggest dose ever.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Post deleted!
    Last edited by ashely; 08-01-2016 at 12:28 AM.

They didn't give you any intravenous Zofran when they sedated you? Whoa I'd be pissed too, sorry that happened to you! I had my wisdom teeth out last summer, and when I told them about my fear of getting sick afterward, they offered me Zofran in the IV drip...worked like a charm! Glad you didn't get sick, either.

Post deleted!
    Last edited by ashely; 08-01-2016 at 12:28 AM.

Huh, that's strange...when they give you general anesthetic (which was probably in your IV drip), they're supposed to issue you a sheet that informs you on how to prepare for the deep sedation....like how you're not supposed to eat or drink anything at least 12 hours beforehand, etc...haha even if you do have future "teeth-related dilemmas", I suggest you never go back to that particular oral surgeon again!

And Zofran is just a powerful anti-emetic, pretty much the furthest thing from an antibiotic...actually I bet you could ask for a prescription bottle of Zofran next time you need an antibiotic, it'll prevent vomiting. =)