Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Any of these films contain V* scenes?

I'm in a very film-based class this summer and I am a bit nervous the professor might disregard my request for a list of any of the films that contain triggers. People who aren't phobic just don't get it sometimes, and apparently, she's a bit of a shock jock.

Films are:
    Deliverance
    The Hero's Journey (not sure if this is a reading or a movie clip. I can read it, I just can't see/hear/smell it)
    Fargo
    A Simple Plan
    Priest (don't think this is the newer one)
    Eyes Wide Shut
    Vanilla Sky
    Memento (saw it in HS, but over a course of days and missed some parts)
    The Machinist
    Gattaca
    Full Metal Jacket (only excerpts)
    Bowling For Columbine (only excerpts)

First film (Deliverance) is tomorrow night. Please let me know!

Default Re: Any of these films contain V* scenes?

can you leave if you see it going on?

Deliverance doesn't, as far as I know. I watched it for my music degree last year, and I can't recall a vomit scene.

As for the rest, you can usually tell when someone in a movie is going to vomit. If that happens, just block your ears and close your eyes, if the proffessor won't let you know if any of them do.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't know if getting up and leaving is an option.

I recently had a bad flashback to a different trauma which has left me way more shaky and susceptible to anxiety and panic. Not sure if I block my ears it'll help much, and while I normally can look away, if I fail to for an unexpected scene, the result could be full blown panic attack. Or not. But I'd prefer not risking it.

Of course, but if it comes to having to do that, it might be something you have to settle on. I'd push for a list of movies that might include a vomit scene. There is a list in the private section of films that have vomit scenes. Perhaps ask there. If not, there's a website you can check http://www.kids-in-mind.com/.

It seems these days almost every movie has a vomit scene. Out of the last 4 movies I've seen, 3 of them had it.

GATTACA is an amazing movie!! It does include a V scene, but only one. It's after the wheelchair guy gets drunk and is in front of a building. It's quick and from a distance, but you still see it.

Kids in mind is an awesome resource, but many pre-2002 films don't include a vomit warning from that site. They are working on going back and adding more notes, but it's a slow process.

You may find these links helpful!

Ahhh, Asianeko, I've never really used kidsinmind, I'd just seen some people on here talking about it so I thought it might be a good site for the OP to check out.

I'm really sorry if you missed anything because of the site!

The Machinist does have a v* scene in it... but it's mostly sound with little visual. All you see is the main character leaning over the toilet and you can hear it. It is very brief!

Fargo... I know at one point the pregnant cop lady (you'll know who she is) says "Oh I'm gonna puke." or something to that effect, but she doesn't. Other than that, I don't remember any v* in that one!

I haven't seen any of the other films... but hopefully this will help! Just look at it this way... v* scenes in movies are 100% SAFE exposure therapy! Good luck!
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

I think it seems reasonable to tell your professor you have PTSD (give no details) and that it gets triggered by scenes of vomiting. Tell him or her that you will freak out beyond belief if you see it. Then say you'll brave through the movies if you can leave and come back. (Then do that!) Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

She's been pretty good. At first she told me to drop the class, but I said I wouldn't. I'm doing okay, and the girls sitting next to me both have needle phobia, so we're helping each other out. Thanks so much for your help! And thank you for the Gattaca warning! I saw there's a needle warning for it, but missed a vomit warning!