Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I want to learn to drive!!

Last year I started to learn how to drive, but I kept having panic attacks during my lessons. I kept feeling really really sick and I fixated on the idea that I was going to be sick in my instructor’s car, and then have to experience the fall out of her response etc....

To cut a long story short, I quit lessons after 6 weeks. How could I have continued when I was having a panic attack in her car every week? It was putting my life as well as other peoples at danger.

Despite this, I do really want to learn how to drive. Has anyone else had a similar experience to this, can you drive? If so, did you ever have panic attacks when learning? Hmm I'm not sure what to do.

Default Re: I want to learn to drive!!

I haven't experienced that but you should try bachs rescue remedy, it's for stressful situations like driving tests etc so thought that might be useful. I think it comes in droplet form to dissolve in water (I gave the night spray version) but it's all natural.

Other than that, do you feel that way in friends or familys cars? If you did maybe you could break yourself in by sitting in a car for 10 minutes and coming back out so you begin to realise it's harmless? Maybe ask the instructor is you can have cool air blowing in because your "nervous"

Quote Originally Posted by Mumof2 View Post
    I haven't experienced that but you should try bachs rescue remedy, it's for stressful situations like driving tests etc so thought that might be useful. I think it comes in droplet form to dissolve in water (I gave the night spray version) but it's all natural.

Other than that, do you feel that way in friends or familys cars? If you did maybe you could break yourself in by sitting in a car for 10 minutes and coming back out so you begin to realise it's harmless? Maybe ask the instructor is you can have cool air blowing in because your "nervous"
    I think I might get some natural calming medicine! I'll have a look around in the chemist later. No I don't think I do, when I'm the passenger in a car I'm normally not as nervous - but if it's a long journey then I'm the complete opposite.

Have you read up on how to get yourself out of panic attacks? Holding your breathe for 10-15 seconds works wonders for balancing the oxygen/carbon dioxide. The more you practice it the better you become. Even try relaxing just before a lesson like put on slow music and breathe in a quiet room? I know it sounds a bit nuts but would put you in the right frame of mind.

I am going through the exact same thing now, so I don`t have any advise - just wanted to let you know that you aren`t alone
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    ~Herm Albright

Well I've never made it that far...I'm already 28 years old and still haven't gone for my license...I kinda feel like an idiot. My husband has taken me driving through the park on more than a few occasions, then as soon as I feel somebody is behind me, I pull over...which is a bad thing....I think I would have more confidance if there was a "Student Driver" sticker on the car. Maybe people would lighten up.

good luck!

I think the thing to get your head around is that when you are driving you are in control. You can pull over at any point you want to and get out of the car. You are the one paying the money and you should be able to do this at any point you want to during your lessons. If your instructor doesn't understand this then get another one!!
    You will gradually become so focused on your driving that you won't have time to panic.

I'm a driving examiner and I take numerous people out on test every week who say that they are feeling sick. It's always panic though, they are never actually sick.
    I wouldn't still be doing the job if they were!!!

Honestly, you'll be fine. The key is to find a really understanding instructor and remember that you are paying them for a service, not the other way around!

Good luck!