Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What have you learned?

I fell deeply asleep on the sofa the other night for a few hours. When my boyfriend woke me up to go to bed, I quickly slipped into panic mode. That's happened to me before, coming out of a deep sleep or long nap.

But this panic was the first bad one I've had since I started browsing and posting on this website. I've been very open with him about what I'm thinking and feeling as well as the other interesting and hopeful stories/experiences/treatments I've read.

So as I'm lying in bed, unable to stop moving, freaking out, he just says to me, "What have you learned? Remember what you have learned."

So I pose the question: what tactics, stories, experiences, treatment methods, etc. have you guys learned on this website that has helped you to overcome moments of panic?

Default Re: What have you learned?

I haven't learned anything on this website specifically. I think that this website might be enabling our fear further. Actually, I guess I learned from this website that nobody can help me except for myself. I have learned to step outside my comfort zone and push myself beyond my limits. I feel like if I'm going to be sick then so be it, I will have to deal with it when the moment happens. I don't spend my day worrying about the bacon I ate for breakfast this morning, I don't flip out that I didn't wash my hands then touch my face or hair. I'm glad once I've aged that I get a grip of reality. You cannot control everything and germs live among us always and forever! I do have panic attacks but that is when I really feel unwell but I save my panic for when I truly feel sick. I feel that facing the fear head on has given me strength. I have cleaned my best friends vomit and my sons within the last couple years. I am not afraid to look at it anymore, I still need to be not afraid of myself being sick if I must. I've never done a treatment, medication or anything to cope but I'm proud of myself for getting through this far on my own.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

Steelers Country! Pennsylvania, United states

Alisha, I'm a lot like you. I had to take care of my boyfriend one night when he was v*ing all night. At first I was panicky but I kinda got used to it after a while. I'm not as scared of people v*ing as I am myself v*ing. I wish I could get past that.
    Nothing's gonna change destiny,
    Whatever's meant to be will work out perfectly.

I'm glad you've accomplished so much, alisha. Congratulations on getting that far on your own. But I question your claim that this website enables our fear further. I've been on here only a short time, and while I still have my fear and still get panic attacks, getting on this site, reading other peoples coping methods and all of the success stories really give me hope and encouragement to get through. Others experiences on this site, as well as sharing my own, has shed an objective light on my fear and behavior. It's given me a level of comfort in understanding that this thing can be beat, and others have done it. It also shows me that I'm not alone in some of the crazy, even unhealthy, rituals that go along with a phobia. While it hasn't helped me directly overcome this, it has definitely helped and taught me a lot about comfort and coping.

Nicole, I totally agree with you. It does make the fear worse. I've been around here for 10 years, seen people come and go and there isn't anyone still here from back then. Not regularly anyway. That's because at some point everyone comes to the same realization: to get better you have to focus 100% on just that. This site is great for realizing you're not alone and bonding with other emets. I think it's most helpful for young people still living with their parents who have no control over their lives, no way to get help, etc. At first, the reassurance and comfort you get seems helpful. But eventually it will cripple you. If you can get professional help, do it. Meanwhile, read through the Information section of this website or click on the link to my site and check out the "resources"/"self help" section.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hmmm. Nicole, you may not want to hear this, but I agree with alisha and Sage on this one. Yes, this site certainly has its uses as a place to let people know they're not alone and then perhaps pick up some tips on what to do next, but if you seriously want to recover you simply have to go away and do it for yourself. If you look in at a stickied thread in the Success forum you'll see one from vixki where she makes the same observation. As someone who was emetophobic and recovered, I'd say her views are worth listening to.

Perhaps a constructive way to look at it is to see this forum as "Stage 1" in (hopeful) recovery, while "Stage 2" is the part you then go off and do by yourself.