Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New warning about metoclopramide (Reglan)

To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: New warning about metoclopramide (Reglan)

That's a really interesting article. Especially since a lot of people with emetophobia are prescribed that. Also interesting that no one has replied to your post.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I thought tardive dyskinesia was a well known side effect of reglan? It isn't something I take, but I was given it after my appendectomy. I had a friend who was on it for gastric mobility problems and had to stop taking it because she started having mild TD symptoms. Scary stuff.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Last edited by mama; 02-05-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Yes, compazine, which I think is also prochloperazine, also has this effect. I think it is in higher doses or for prolonged use. Also, some may be more susceptible than others.

I was ill a few years ago and was prescribed Compazine before heading to Mexico. After taking the medication for a little less than a week, I started experiencing involuntary muscle movements in my face (it was as if I was smiling involuntarily). Soon after, I experienced what seemed like a full-blown seizure; I was convulsing, involuntarily tensing up my muscles (which was extremely painful), drooling, etc. My tongue was hanging out of my mouth.

Not only was I scared to death that I was going to have these issues for the rest of my life, but I was also in a foreign country and didn't know how good their health system was. It was terrifying.

I was lucky that my side effects completely went away after just a few hours, but (needless to say) I won't be taking Compazine again. I'm quite anxious about taking other anti-emetics as well, and this raises a difficult question: Do I go through the awful experience of being ill, or risk having something like this happen again?

I took reglan for four days and had problems with the muscles in my neck twitching it was extremely painful and kept making my head jerk to the side. I stopped taking it immediately after calling my doctor about it.
    Life is so worth living.

I typically take stuff like this with a grain of salt because all drugs have risks and anti emetics seem to be pretty safe as drugs go by and large, however, with all this "smoke" about metoclorpromide, there must be a east some fire. The risks seems really too high. Why use this when stuff like phenegran and zofran or even gravol/dramamine are much safer?