Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Anyone read this book?

Was googling if there were any therapy options in my local area, and got linked to this book:

Living with Emetophobia: Coping with Extreme Fear of Vomiting by Nicolette Heaton-Harris.

Just wondered if anyone had read it, and if so would they recommend it and does it have any content which could be potentially triggering of panic?

Thanks in advance,
    Jasmine

Default Re: Anyone read this book?

While this book gives a brilliant insight into the life of an emet, it's depressing and disheartening for emetophobes because she talks about having had literally every kind of therapy/treatment available and basically doesn't believe emet is curable. I think the title is completely misleading too 'how to cope', there are no decent coping strategies within this book...

I'd say it's a good one to give to relatives or friends to read as she goes into minute detail about what goes on in the mind of an emet so it would be good to help someone who isn't emet understand what we go through, BUT you'll be disappointed if you're buying it in the hope that it'll help you cope with your phobia.

Try: Overcoming Health Anxiety by Dr David Veale, it's worlds better in comparison
    Last edited by Elski; 07-22-2011 at 01:34 PM.

I have read it and I think that it is a good book for spouses, relatives, significant others and friends who may not understand what an emet goes through! It helped my husband and parents understand me, but it did not really do anything for me.

Dr. Veale's book is a good one, but I actually like "The Phobia and Anxiety Workbook" by E. Bourne. It's awesome.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thankyou all, sorry it has taken me a few days to reply. Its a shame as I thought I might have stumbled across something worthwhile, but sadly, this phobia isn't as straightforward as that, and curing it is on a whole new level entirely. Thankyou for the other suggestions though, I will look into these instead.

I own that book. I read it when I first discovered that this phobia exists and I was happy that I wasn't actually crazy. I used it as a resource to show family members what I was going through as well

Balancing my love for reading with academic demands has been challenging. Time constraints often left me unable to indulge in books. Discovering MasterPapers.com was a relief. Their expert assistance with assignments freed up time for my hobby. I'm grateful for this resource, which supports students like me on the path to academic success.
    Last edited by Robbie A Carlson; 05-04-2024 at 03:06 PM.