Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default globus hystericus

Hey guys, my worst symptom of emetophobia is definetly to do with my throat gullet area. I cant help but think I have a physical problem with this area. does anyone have anything they could share on thr topic of throat and globus hystericus?

Would be much appreciated
    Garry

Default Re: globus hystericus

Mmm, I have a problem whereby my throat gets all tight (and I think I'll be sick!) when I get nervous. I have to massage under my chin to relax it! I can't keep my tongue still either...what about you?

I feel that i need to try and keep burping, its horrible. However since reading other posts on people with the same problem, it does take the edge off of the anxiety and it feels slightly better.

Do you struggle to believe its anxiety hence making things worse?

Yes - I am convinced I'm actually ill and will thus, be sick. No matter how many times people tell me that 'it's just anxiety, calm down' I just can't believe them. Even though I know, deep, deep down, they're probably right!

Cocotango,we think just alike,you can tell me im gonna b fine till ur blue in the face! Sometimes i curse the day i was born ppl have no i]dea how hard it is living with this phobia

Finally, someone else who has this exact same thing!! I went through a bout of aniety where I was getting this tight feeling in my throat, a nauseated feeling with no stomach ache. I have it now as a matter of fact. I talked to my doctor about it and that's what she called it, gloubus hystericus. The only thing that has helped me with it is xanax. I suffered with it for probably a month then a doctor gave me some xanax for anxiety and all of a sudden that feeling went away, I could eat again(I had stopped eating as a result). If you're not on xanax, I'm not necessarily recommending it as it can be addicting and my dose has gone up since I started taking it(I'm going through a bout of anxiety right now that I'm trying to work through). If there's other ways to help like deep breathing, do that. I just know nothing else I did worked for me. I tried to massaging my neck and chest, deep breathing, smelling and applying essential oils, distracting myself, applying heat...Nothing worked for me. It definately is caused by anxiety and when I have times when my anxiety isn't bothering me, the G.H. doesn't happen either. I do wish I could control it in other ways. I have yet to get a regular routine of yoga, deep relaxtion and exercise down though so that might help wonders. We just moved and I'm trying to get my house settled so feel I can't completely focus on my anxieties right now.

I was diagnosed with this problem. I thought maybe I had a tumor, lump in my throat and at night when it's time to sleep was the worst. I also have tonsil issues and this feeling makes my tonsils feel like they are closing in or touching. I also have a burping issue, I start to panic because I can feel it settled in the back of my throat and cannot release it. I had it really bad while I was in school and now it comes and goes. I figured out it's stress related and always appears when times are tough for me. Very bothersome but thank goodness there is nothing seriously wrong, it's something that will fade away on it's own.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.