Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Could this be me?

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I've joined because altho I make a joke about my fear, I've realised it's actually very real. Although I don't seem to have some of the symptoms I have read about so I'm a litle lost. I've had 2 very nauseating pregnancies, my last one was 15yrs ago but both of them I was sick from before I found out I was pregnant right until birth. With the first one I was sick all day then ate one meal late at night so it would b digested by morning and that's how it went All the way thro. With my second one I was admitted to hospital by 8weeks with dehydration and after that for the rest of the pregnancy I just ate smooth foods, strained soups, yogurts and jelly. I can cope with being sick if it's "smooth" but my biggest fear is "lumps" that just makes me worse and I will try and force myself not to b sick, keep anti emetics at all times. I know my fear is from my pregnancies as I was sick constantly, but I still can't shake it, is it just habit or a phobia? I shake and cry if I feel I'm going to b sick when it's not watery and the thought of it makes me feel worse. Actually as I'm writing this I'm fighting it and that's what has made me realise it's real!! I can't go b sick, I really cannot face it!! Help!! Ali

Default Re: Could this be me?

welcome to the forum ali.
    are you asking if your emetophobic? I think you are. If i knew that i had no choice and had to throw up i would prefer it to be smooth as well. Do you fear the act of throwing up or the actual vomit? Having morning sickness like that would be so horrible. did you take any anti emetics or try anything else to stop it? You can always come on here when you find yourself not feeling well or panicking
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Default Re: Could this be me?

Hi emmalinda, thank u for ur reply. I've always thought myself to b a bit of a baby when it comes to being sick I didn't think for one minute it could actually be a phobia until recently. I did take anti emetics during both pregnancies and all the old wives remedies my mom told me about. I'll do anything to avoid it. It's both the action and the actual vomit, if it's smooth I can just about cope but if not then I'm in full panic mode. It does help to know I'm not being an idiot about it, I haven't told anyone, my husband jus thinks I'm awkward when I'm Ill but he's good about it. I was a nurse so other people's doesn't really bother me too much just my own, good to know I'm not alone tho. X