Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question What are my chances of catching West Nile virus?

(The virus spread by mosquito bites; I'm not sure if it causes nausea or vomiting, but frankly I don't think it'll do me any good to look up the symptoms, seeing as I'm a huge hypochondriac to begin with!)

Long story short, I've heard that West Nile is traveling around my city, and just this evening I stepped outside for a moment and somehow got around 13 mosquito bites! So now I'm worried, of course....mainly that I'll be up all night tonight fretting over this. I know you guys can't tell me for sure that I don't have a chance of having contracted West Nile, but some second opinions about the odds of me catching it would be helpful!

So, out of those thirteen mosquito bites, compared to the millions of mosquitoes floating around my city, do you think the odds are against me that I could've caught it? Anyone here ever had any experience with West Nile virus?

Thanks in advance! =)
    Panic at the thought of doing something is a challenge to do it.

Default Re: What are my chances of catching West Nile virus?

relax! i live in Georgia and its west Nile city down here! we are all immune to it by now but when ever someone new moves in they get a runny nose, MAYBE a weak sore throat (but that rare)

we also have ticks with lyme disease, but that doesnt bother me i love living here

Oh wow, I live in Georgia too

At least it's reassuring to hear that West Nile doesn't totally wreak havoc on one's body....a runny nose or a sore throat I can deal with, but of course I was afraid the symptoms would include plenty of nausea & vomiting. =P

So far since yesterday I feel fine, so I guess I'm in the clear! Thanks very much for your input, and I too love living here in Georgia.<3

Most cases of WNV are either asymptomatic or a mild flu-like illness (ie unlikely to cause v-ing). There are the rare cases that can cause serious conditions like encephalitis and Guillain-Barre syndrome, the former often causing v-ing. That being said, it is extremely unlikely that you have WNV. Think of how many people get many, many mosquito bites every year and only a very small percentage even get sick, let alone have the rare serious complications. It might be a good idea to have some sort of bug bite protection though, even wearing long sleeves and pants can really help reduce bites.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

I came down with a mild case of west Nile a few years ago. No d or v at all, just what felt like a dreadful head cold; terrible pressure-like headache (i do believe i likened it to feeling like my brain was going to bleed out my nose!) slight vertigo, and general malaise. The malaise was probably the worst, I half thought it was mono but the labwork tested positive for west Nile (I had been camping in northern Pennsylvania when I was eaten alive by mosquitoes after a heavy rainfall.) it was not fun, but clearly it was not the worst!

Thanks for the info and reassurance everyone! I've bought myself some bug spray and haven't gotten a mosquito bite since.

Feels good to be able to cross West Nile off my list of emet-related worries, lol