Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: How Much Light Do You Sleep With At Night

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the lights on in the room

1 4.00%
  • A small nightlight

13 52.00%
  • In complete darkness

11 44.00%

Ok, many studies have been done on melatonin (the brain chemical that is responsible for moods, growth, and controls anxiety and phobias) and how it is affected by the amount of light onyou sleep with at night. Here is a site on it:

http://www.melatonin.com/melatonin-faq.htm

I have slept with some light on for years, and right when I started sleeping with more light, my anxiety and emet would get worse. I'm also constantly tired, dizzy, and generally feeling weird (and an imbalance in that chemical also causes n*!). My body developed an unnatural sleep cycle and I think my anxiety got worse because of it. Well, this week I started sleeping in complete darkness. I am feeling better already! I am sleeping through the night and not panicking in the evenings about v*ing at night, like I usually did. So, maybe if some of us emets who sleep with light on, start sleeping in darkness, emet will get a little better! Just a weird theory...now take the poll!
    You control your body- it doesn\'t control you
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    !

i sleep in complete darkness. have done evr since i can remember.

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put all the lights on b/c I can fall asleep with all of the lights on and nothing wakes me up. I usually sleep with a little light on b/c I like to look around before I fall asleep. If I'm having trouble sleeping. I sleep with the TV all of the time. I don't have vomit dreams either, so I don't think this one would apply to me. Interesting theory though. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

all lights on, the ones outside my room and the tele! xxx
    \'I know it aint easy, but thats okay because we\'re hopeful....\' - Faith Evans

Complete darkness for me. Any trace of light keeps me up at night! I hate that. I have trouble sleeping as it is.

xoxo

Allie
    **No one knows what it\'s like behind my green eyes.**

some nights i have my tv on, so its not complete darkness and i cant sleep in darkness as i get too anxious, then on other nights it has to be complete darkness. Im a strange creature. Lately though its been darkness more often than light

I have to have a little light. I can easily see how light and sleep can have a profound affect on your mood and anxiety though.

I fall asleep w/ the tv on but i put it on the timer so it goes off while I'm sleeping.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Moon light count? Because i have this little arch shaped thing on my roof where moonlight could come in, but other than that i dont sleep with light anymore. I used to because my sister wanted it when we used to share a room.
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

Nah, moonlight's natural so I'd assume it doesn't count.
    You control your body- it doesn\'t control you
    !

I'll only keep my lamp on if I am in a panic/upset stomach mode, it somehow soothes me, but otherwise darkness.

From sleepfoundation.org

Besides adjusting the timing of the clock, bright light has another effect. It directly inhibits the release of melatonin. That is why melatonin is sometimes called the "Dracula of hormones" - it only comes out in the dark. Even if the pineal gland is switched "on" by the clock, it will not produce melatonin unless the person is in a dimly lit environment. In addition to sunlight, artificial indoor lighting can be bright enough to prevent the release of melatonin.

You have to be exposed to a really bright light in order for melatonin production to be hindered. A night light shouldn't change your melatonin production.

<font color=Blue>Carly --Check out my site---
    you are on MySpace let me know and I will add you as my friend</font>