Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Unhappy Waking up in a panic attack

I just woke up shaking uncontrollably and feeling like I was going to be sick. I ran to the bathroom, but I'm just gagging. i don't even have spit in my throat to swallow and it's incredibly hard to type this because of how badly I'm shaking. This happens to me quite often. What's wrong with me?

Default Re: Waking up in a panic attack

Ugh... I HATE that... For me, it's always because I have a dream that triggers my phobia... If you can, try sipping some water. Also try watching tv, play a video game, or do something to distract yourself and get yourself tired again.

I've been doing this every night since I don't know when at least for the last couple of months and actually probably since I moved in with my boyfriend! It happens around 1am, my heart pounds and I feel hot and sick! I now try and assess if I actually feel sick or not as anxiety makes you feel sick! So stay in bed for awhile take deep breaths until heart beat calms down! Then splash face with cold water, sip water and chew some mint gum until you feel better and then resume sleep! I think you would feel ill long before going to bed if there was something wrong with your stomach! Failing that get your thyroid checked out!
    I've been an emertophobe for 15 years or more, am 31 now and I will be using this site a lot as I really need help for it

Test out a gluten free diet for a few weeks! I always had what you had and now after doing that I feel like a new person I swear

nearly the same thing happened to me last night! and its happened before. i get really hot and sweaty and then start to feel really nauseas and then shke and my hear start racing. i omehow manage to think im sick but i wonder if its anxiety. i wish i knew what triggered it though. because i think if im sleeping theres no way my anxiety can peak because im asleep!
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Same sort of thing happened to me just yesterday morning....woke up feeling nauseous with my stomach churning, wasn't at all pleasant....but I've learned that if something like this happens frequently, then you can pretty much trust that it's only anxiety and you're not actually sick! That's how I overcame waking up in a panic attack or with nausea (it's happened to me quite a lot, too)....just remind yourself that you've felt this way before, yet you've never vomited from it (I assume!).

Telling yourself truthfully that you're in complete control of your body can really help put your anxious mind at ease! You could also try keeping some nausea remedies near your bedside for quick access, should you ever wake up from a panic attack again....keep some peppermints, ginger candies, cinnamon mints, water, Tums, and Pepto Bismol on your nightstand, so that if you ever feel anxiously-nauseous during the night or early morning, you can just reach over and grab something to soothe it.

Also, try not to eat too close to bedtime either...I've found that doing so can cause nausea or an upset stomach the next morning, probably because your stomach is pulling an all-nighter as it digests while the rest of your body gets to sleep. Remember that your stomach needs some rest, too!
    Panic at the thought of doing something is a challenge to do it.

I used to feel this way a lot! Waking up feeling exactly how you are saying.
    I am glutem intolerant. After all these years I was making myself sick by eating gluten. Please looking into it! It changed my life it could be what's wring with you!