Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Trusted sleeping pills for you?

So sinse thursday last week I have constantly felt sick and had to force myself to eat little bits. At night I barely sleep which is also getting on top of me and making me feel depressed. Today the sick feeling was not as bad or persistant, but tonight its really bad and I was really needing a full nights sleep, or at least anything more then 2-4 hours sleep! So seen as the lack of sleep is causing me to feel depressed and obviously the constant sick feeling also depresses me. I'm hoping to get hold of a trusted sleeping pill to sleep through the day - I go back to work on thursday so i want to try and catch up on my hours the best I can. My mum has said one of the travel sickness pills I have used can be used as a sedetive in a higher dose and I know that I'm okay with that drug. (I'm in the UK and that's called phenergan). Have you guys used any great ones that don't affect you in a bad way that you trust? Thanks for reading, Jenna x

Default Re: Trusted sleeping pills for you?

I reguarly take phenergan, they are sold OTC in the uk as sominex. Ive built up a bit of a tolerance to them but they are quite good at easing nausea and relaxing you. I know some people on here get a hangover effect with them but Ive taken upto 50mg a day if Im feeling really ill with no bad side effects. I usually take 20mg at night to help relax me enough to sleep though sometimes I need more to actually knock me out

Thanks! What would dose would you recommend to keep me out for a few hours through the day?

Unisom has always worked best for me.
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

Phenergan is a prescription anti-emetic in the US. 12.5mg puts me in a good 10-12 hour coma. 25 mg and I need 12-14 hours to sleep it off.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Advil pm's are awesome,they make u sleepy,and even hungry i love them i buy the big bottle with 120 in it,but i think my body is getting immune to it! But so worth it u guys!

I use this sleeping pill called MidNite, and the best thing about them is that they're drug-free! They just have a dose of melatonin (hormone that causes sleepiness & drowsiness) mixed with lemon balm, chamomile, and lavender. They dissolve in your mouth and taste great actually, plus they're non-habit forming. To me they're very calming and they help jump-start the brain's melatonin production so that you'll fall asleep sooner.

I don't know if MidNite is sold it the UK, but it might be! Those pills are definitely worth looking into. I hope you sleep well soon! =)
    Panic at the thought of doing something is a challenge to do it.

I don't think we can get melatonin products in the UK - seems to be a prescription-only thing; not legal to sell it OTC. Phenergan (promethazine) is a good sedative but I get sometimes a horrible hangover effect the next day with dizziness and such. Nytol (diphenhydramine) is far better in that respect, and is also anti-emetic. However, it is habit-forming and I imagine Phenergan may be habit-forming in the same way. So of course once or twice in a while is fine to take it, but in a way I would always be very, very cautious before recommending anyone to take it. It really can be very habit-forming for people with prolonged sleep difficulties. I think it would be worth speaking to your GP before doing anything? Valerian tea and herbal Kalms night-time tablets may be worth a try. Valerian is a natural sedative. Hope your sleep problems are resolved soon xxx

I have pretty much taken them all. You may like to know that Unisom is not only a popular OTC sleeping pill, but it is also an excellent anti-emetic. If you ever come across that Internet tease offering to tell you the best thing to prevent vomiting for $5, it is Unisom.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for everyones suggestions everyone!
    I may try the minimal dose of sominex first and see if it helps me off to sleep, thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by TheSweetThinker View Post
    I use this sleeping pill called MidNite, and the best thing about them is that they're drug-free! They just have a dose of melatonin (hormone that causes sleepiness & drowsiness) mixed with lemon balm, chamomile, and lavender. They dissolve in your mouth and taste great actually, plus they're non-habit forming. To me they're very calming and they help jump-start the brain's melatonin production so that you'll fall asleep sooner.

I don't know if MidNite is sold it the UK, but it might be! Those pills are definitely worth looking into. I hope you sleep well soon! =)
    I've always wanted to try MidNite so I think when I run out of Unisom, which is soon, I will pick some up! I like the idea of a more all-natural and non-habit forming pill.
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    I have pretty much taken them all. You may like to know that Unisom is not only a popular OTC sleeping pill, but it is also an excellent anti-emetic. If you ever come across that Internet tease offering to tell you the best thing to prevent vomiting for $5, it is Unisom.

Doug
    Very true! Forgot to mention that when I posted about it!
    My Mantra:

Is the Unisom doxylamine? Unfortunately we can't get doxylamine over the counter in the UK. Not even sure that it's even available on prescription unless as a combination with other ingredients in some migraine remedies. The other Unisom is diphenhydramine, like Nytol, I think? xxx

Just from reading this thread, can Unisom be bought in Canadian stores? My favorite anti-emetic right now is Gravol (dimenhydrinate) or the Gravol brand ginger root extract pills (I love taking them because it's natural and there's no side effects, but it doesn't put me to sleep like dimenhydrinate).
    destroy what destroys you

In Canada, Unisom 2 is doxylamine succinate. Standard Unisom is diphenhydramine hydrochloride. xxx

I use Benadryl Allergy medicine (diphenhydramine)
    Puts me right to sleep! Unless I have a headache, then I'll take Advil PM or Tylenol PM
    Unless I have a headache AND a stomachache, then I just stick w/ the Benadryl.

So many choices!