Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Teens with Emetophobia-HELP

I am 14 and due to my emetophobia I am so scared to go to school this year. Last year I would go to school and in most of my classes feel as though I was going to V*. SOmetimes it would get so bad that I would be sweating and eventually interrupt my teacher's lesson to go to the bathroom, where nothing would happen at all. School last year was so hard that I am dreading going back, and I usually love school. I can't go through another school year like last year. I need to know if anyone else has gone through this, and I need help.

Default Re: Teens with Emetophobia-HELP

This is my first year at middle school! (i am 12) I am SOOOOOO nervous for the first day of school! School in fifth grade we switched classes also and the same thing would happen to me! I would go to the nurse like everyday!!!!!! Maybe we could chat sometime!

I just don't want the same thing to happen that happened last year. It was terrible! And there is no way I can put up with going through it again without requesting being put in the mental ward in the hospital.

When this haappens to me I usaully carry around a water bottle and a small bag of peppermints. When you start to panic breath slowly and tell yourself its all in your head. Try to focus on something else or really tune in to the teacher. If that doesn't work think happy thoughts in your head.

Omg I have the same feeling, Astoria. (I'm 15, 16 in November) Normally school doesn't bother too much but last year I started getting bad cramps during "my time" and it was soooo bad I felt like I was gonna be sick and I had no Tylenol or tums on hand D: I had to go to the nurse during choir. It was awful! I could barely walk D; after that I've been kinda scared to go back, that and I'll be in a higher class choir where we each get a microphone and I get like superrrrrr nervous sometimes before/during shows.

I went to a private school, and the nuns usually frowned upon going to the bathroom during class, they usually made you hold it! So I just learned to ask to go to the nurse's office, and I just sit in there and wait it out in a dark room by myself. People may wonder what's going on, but I learned not to care.

I am 14 and i am going through the same exact thing! except im starting a new school! i try to think that i got very nervous last year and nothing happened so nothing will probably happen this year. i usually love school too! think of it as a distraction from anxiety wish u all the best!

This happened to me ALL through school and college too. I'm starting uni early next year and I'm already so scared. You're not alone in this at all!

I'm so sorry to hear. I know 100% what you're feeling. I was around the age of 13 and 14 when mine escalated pretty badly too. Every day I felt nauseous, and some days I was so scared that if I even moved an inch, I would be sick. I spent many weeks skipping school and going to the "sick" room to sleep in because we didn't have a school nurse. But you know what, I made it through high school without anything bad happening. Even if something did happen, I made it through okay and I feel like I've got more freedom now that high school is over and I'm approaching the end of my bachelor's degree. Stay strong, and just know that you've got people here who understand. And no matter what the outcome, even if the worst thing happens (i.e., like even if you did v*), know that the "consequences" and "humiliation" we dread won't last forever. You'll find that many people can be very forgiving and understanding even when the absolute worst happens. I promise. xx
    destroy what destroys you

I knwo the feeling (: I'm going to be 16 in a few weeks and I'm starting to dread going back to school. To deal with emet I usually plan an 'escape route' because most of my fear involves v* in public. So I'll plan an escape route to the nearest washroom (in my head of course) I carry peppermint gum with me at ALL times and RescueRemedy, it's AMAZING. It's literally just a little squirt bottle (like sample perfume size) of this all natural organic...liquid...that completely releaves all anxiety. and people don't look at you weird when you use it ! XD

Goodluck back at school! <3

Quote Originally Posted by astoria View Post
    I am 14 and due to my emetophobia I am so scared to go to school this year. Last year I would go to school and in most of my classes feel as though I was going to V*. SOmetimes it would get so bad that I would be sweating and eventually interrupt my teacher's lesson to go to the bathroom, where nothing would happen at all. School last year was so hard that I am dreading going back, and I usually love school. I can't go through another school year like last year. I need to know if anyone else has gone through this, and I need help.
    I am just about to turn 19 and just graduated from high school. This past year I had the EXACT same issue as you did. I found myself staying home from school A LOT the last few months and it really effected the way I viewed school, as I too usually enjoyed it! Here are some things I did to try to make myself more comfortable with being in school:

I informed all of my teachers in person about the problems I have. I just told them that if I ask to step out I NEED to be allowed to step out and that I may not be back in three minutes, it may be all period. To make sure they understood I wasn't just trying to skip classes I had my mother send out an email to all of the teachers as well. This really helped me. I would just raise my hand at any time and I would be allowed to leave for however long I needed to. It made me feel better that I wasn't making a scene in the middle of a lesson.

I let the nurse and the guidance counselor know about my issue as well so that if sitting in the bathroom stall all period wasn't cutting it, I could go sit in the nurses office or sit in the guidance office until I cooled down. I was also allowed to call my mother at any point, as she calms me down.

I would always carry my vitamin water with me, as sipping it would sometimes help me to relax. If I was sitting in class and I felt that I was getting panicky but it wasn't so bad that I had to leave, what I would do is play little word games with myself on a piece of paper or in my head. One game I would do is the ABC game. Think of a category, say girls names, and go through the alphabet thinking of EVERY girls name you can come up with that starts with each letter. After a while, you are so focused on the game that the anxiety settles down.

I am starting college in the fall and I am terrified, but just know that you are not alone! Hope all works out for you!

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaThamer View Post
    I knwo the feeling (: I'm going to be 16 in a few weeks and I'm starting to dread going back to school. To deal with emet I usually plan an 'escape route' because most of my fear involves v* in public. So I'll plan an escape route to the nearest washroom (in my head of course) I carry peppermint gum with me at ALL times and RescueRemedy, it's AMAZING. It's literally just a little squirt bottle (like sample perfume size) of this all natural organic...liquid...that completely releaves all anxiety. and people don't look at you weird when you use it ! XD

Goodluck back at school! <3
    I take Zoloft and was wondering if I could use the rescue remedy along with my zoloft

well im 14 and i just had my first day of high school today, it was really good. for the most part i keep calm the whole day but for some reason every time they would call roll i would always start to get nervous (haha idk why).

maybe in different but my emet. almost goes completely away during the school year, for some reason i just dont worry about it that much (but it sure is still there)

have fun, whens your first day?

Smile Re: Teens with Emetophobia-HELP

I start next week but now I have my meds and Rescue Remedy (thanks EmmaThamer) so hopefully this will get better and I can truly enjoy highschool. Still, any advice is insanely appreciated. The support here is awesome and I know it is helping. I even went to the movies today with a girl whose stepdad had felt like he would v* the day before and didn't really worry and I haven't really worried since. Progress!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by astoria View Post
    I take Zoloft and was wondering if I could use the rescue remedy along with my zoloft
    Of course you can (: Rescue Rememdy is completely all natural, so it won't interfere with Zoloft. I took zoloft for almost 3 years along with Rescue Remedy when I felt overly panicky and nothing ever happened (:

Thank you so much Emma! I will start the remedy today and have new hope for the school year! (though any new advice is still welcome) The support here is amazing and I am starting to feel much better about starting school again!

Question Re: Teens with Emetophobia-HELP

My 11 year old daughter is so restricted by her nausea, I have no doubt it is real to her though.
    It is beyond frustrating as a mum to see your "baby" go through this and not be able to find a solution. my GP is not open to the suggestion of a camhs referral as he has no experience with this, and is still intent on finding a medication to resolve the situation. Secondary school starts next week and I am waiting for the tears to start. I would love to find a fellow sufferer to talk to her, so she feels less of a freak. I think embarrassment plays a huge part in her tears. HELP Debbie

it sounds most of you have some form of panic disorder. my wife is bipolar and my 7 year old daughter is showing early signs of panic disorder too.

Red face Re: Teens with Emetophobia-HELP

Quote Originally Posted by dippylippy View Post
    My 11 year old daughter is so restricted by her nausea, I have no doubt it is real to her though.
    It is beyond frustrating as a mum to see your "baby" go through this and not be able to find a solution. my GP is not open to the suggestion of a camhs referral as he has no experience with this, and is still intent on finding a medication to resolve the situation. Secondary school starts next week and I am waiting for the tears to start. I would love to find a fellow sufferer to talk to her, so she feels less of a freak. I think embarrassment plays a huge part in her tears. HELP Debbie
    I must say that if you think it would help have her send me a private message and we can talk or chat. My mother also goes through the same thing, seeing me panic and freak out. I know it can be sad, but I have thus far actually had a wonderful school year due to the fact that I have been put on Zoloft. I know medicine may seem like it could make her feel like more of a freak, but ask your doctor about general anxiety disorder. I was afraid of medicine at first, but it has made all the difference. It even helped boost my confidence. But there are so many people out there with this hinderance, and you must tell your daughter that. I can vouch that she is not a freak and that she will get better.

Red face Re: Teens with Emetophobia-HELP

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer2012 View Post
    it sounds most of you have some form of panic disorder. my wife is bipolar and my 7 year old daughter is showing early signs of panic disorder too.
    I would say to ask a doctor as soon as possible about your daughters situation. That way she can find answers sooner and suffer less. Plus she can have a more worryfree childhood.But make sure she has lots of playtime with other kids, this can be a key factor in greatly reducing her stress levels.

Hi! I am a 17 year old senior in high school and I can completly relate to you. When I was 12, 13 and 14 my fear was probably at it's absolute high. I would have minor panic attacks in the middle of my classes and people would never understand why. After a while though I learned to talk myself out of (in my mind, haha) whatever my fear was. I learned to control it because panicing only made my fears 10x worse. It took me a long time though to be calm at school. I still panic sometimes when my stomach hurts or when a peer around me talks about their stomach hurting or v* but I've learned to react better. My advice to you is to focus on how much better you feel when you don't panic and remind yourself that t*u* is normal and if, god forbid, it happened around people they would only feel sympothy for you. I also think the advice of letting your teachers know is good advice. Letting them know might make you a little less anxious and they also might excuse you more often when you need it. Good luck!!

Being a 17 year old going into my second year of College I can totally relate to what you were saying!! Aha im just freaking out, back in school it was a lot worse especially when the swine flu was going around I just stayed away from school for the whole week to avoid getting *s although it was bad I know to skip a whole week of school && im not condoning it at all!

Having looked at the above messages regarding Rescue Remedy- im totally going to try that maybe it'll just give me that extra push to get to College this year having skipped a lot of it last year but then again it's mainly down to my mental health problems!

I think the best thing to do would be to speak to your teacher about your anxiety && if you are in desperate need to step outside then you will be able to without any questions asked- cuz well that's one of the worst things about school is walking out the class and having everyone wondering why! Once you've gotten your teachers understanding it'll feel a lot less worrying going into school as you'll have your back up plan of stepping out! Good Luck!

E x
    2010 && 2011 the years I met Gok Wan
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Lets slap Emet in the face. . .

Follow My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You are not alone!!!! Going with my fellow emet teens every step of the way lol. Hope that comforts you a bit!
    Hugs! Alf
    The Very Things That Have Held You Down Will Lift You Up!~ Disney's Dumbo

I'm thirteen and I just started eighth grade, high school. All high schools seem to be different because my teachers are so awesome in the sense that if you need to go to the bathroom, they know what you mean, send you off and make sure someone catches you up on what you missed. I haven't had to leave class for the washrooms yet, though, but I'm really scared I'll get a horrific ache and have to bolt as I do when I'm at home.

Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Okay so now im freaking' out about going into College, im a 2nd year now so I know my way around the college etc but today the anxiety was just too much so I couldn't manage to go into English class this morning, so I had to miss it and just go into tutor this afternoon! My mum is supportive as usual && she said she would proud of me that I managed to go into tutor as it's better than nothing but I still can't help but feel like a failure.... Gahh I hate this

E x
    2010 && 2011 the years I met Gok Wan

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Lets slap Emet in the face. . .

Follow My Blog

okay, im 15, in my last months o highschool. you need to make sure the school is very aware of your situation, it helps so much, they can set up support and it will make things so much easier. school is the wrost place for an emet, theres always the worry and then when you get panicky its so hard, and if you have a panic attack your drained emotioanly, mentaly and phsyically. if i had notified my school sooner it would have been so much easier, if you neeed to talk, message me

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Dream View Post
    Okay so now im freaking' out about going into College, im a 2nd year now so I know my way around the college etc but today the anxiety was just too much so I couldn't manage to go into English class this morning, so I had to miss it and just go into tutor this afternoon! My mum is supportive as usual && she said she would proud of me that I managed to go into tutor as it's better than nothing but I still can't help but feel like a failure.... Gahh I hate this

E x
    well done, its so hard because i have panic attacks about 3 times a week, and they come on so quick, its hard because i have to be taken out of class, and after im too drained to concentrate im in my final months of school! im so nervous for college. its amazing that you carried on, so dont you dare feel like a failure, because its hard, theres no denying it but you pushed through it which is great!<3

its like going back into the past and hearing myself! i did exactly what you do. i would spend most of my lessons in the bathroom and having panic attacks during classes. i wagged about 3 days a week and lost 3 months of school during one year. i also missd out on camps and certain assignments, and during exams, the hall was so crowded i could never concentrate and would not write much don and failed nearly every subject. i cant get into uni now what your experienceing is pure anxiety and there is nothing wrong with you. i regert missing school so much, even though it was hard, i wish i stuck it out. but if i can give you any advice it would be to just keep reassuing yourself during class cause there is no need to be sick. you dont have a virus or anything. it wouldnt be logical to happen. even close to impossible. so take a deep breath, and think how great you'll feel when you stick out that one class without leaving.
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

"having a rough morning?
    put your hand over your heart
    feel that?
    thats called purpose, your alive for a reason
    dont give up"

PM me im 14 too