Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Wisdom Teeth

Hybrid View

Default Wisdom Teeth

Heys guys, I need some support/advice.

I am getting all four of my wisdom teeth taken out in two weeks. I am terrified because when my brother got his taken out a few years back, he threw up at home afterwards. He got the IV and I am only getting the laughing gas.

Have any of you got your wisdom teeth pulled? (P.S. None of them have broken through my skin.

Default Re: Wisdom Teeth

I have had all of mine pulled out.
    I didn`t want laughing gas cause it makes me sick, so I got seven shots of pain reliever/numbing stuff in my gums instead. It is an absurd experience, didn`t hurt, but the noises are insane
    I felt completely fine after, not sick at all.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    ~Herm Albright

Had all of mine out several years ago. I had only the numbing shots, but mine were all broken through the gums. The noises are odd. So were the tooth bits flying out of my mouth-- but I had no pain and no nausea at all. Good luck!

You can always ask them to give you an anti nausea before they give you either the gas or put you into twilight anesthesia. Just let them know ahead of time how important it is to you.

I've had 3 oral surgeries. The first 2 times I just had laughing gas and a few shots to numb the area, the 3rd time (which was when I got my wisdom teeth out) I actually got put to sleep. I was TERRIFIED that the anesthesia would make me sick, but I was assured that only a small percentage of people have a bad reaction to the anesthesia. I was totally fine after all three surgeries, I'm sure you'll be ok. I didn't take anything to prevent nausea but I know there are things they can give you (patches or pills) to help make sure you don't get sick and to give you peace of mind

I had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out when I was 15. I was under anesthesia with an IV, and I started freaking out a little. I asked the nurse if I would get sick, and she said I wouldn't. She even went on to say that if I got sick mid-operation, they would put an anti-emetic into the IV drip so it would stop it immediately and I would be okay when I woke up. And nothing bad happened. I had moments where I was nauseous but I pulled through. I took my T3's and antibiotics and I was okay as far as that goes. The worst part was dealing with the swollen face and inability to chew for a week.
    destroy what destroys you

I got the bottom two done one month, and the top two the next month. I only used a whole bunch of numbing shots. I think the sounds of the drills and the stigma attached to getting them pulled makes people more anxious then they need to be... especially me! But you can't feel a thing from the shots, and I think they are more effective for me personally then the anesthesia or the laughing gas, with no side effects, unless you are allergic to it.

Last year I had all four wisdom teeth taken out in one procedure. The teeth were not fully grown out of the gum so the process literally was a surgery, not a plain tooth extraction.

Thankfully - my dentist does not administer IV - so the side effects of that were not something that I worried about.

What I did do was laughing gas. I also opted for Valium because the moment I was informed that I would have people cutting that deep in my throat scared me and there was no way I could walk into the dentist's office alone without something to keep me from having a full blown anxiety attack. The night before I went I had done some reading online about whether or not the procedure could cause me to v*. Unfortunately, the internet is full of millions of little horror stories of people swallowing too much blood or whatever and become sick. Reading that threw me into a pretty severe panic attack. I didn't sleep, didn't eat, and in the morning I was so deliriums with anxiety it was unbearable. Of course because of it I was pretty n* and could only manage to get down the Valium and a small bite of a granola bar. However, if I hadn't I wouldn't have tried to eat very much anyway for fear of being sick during the procedure. When I finally got there all blissfully strung out on the Valium train I sat down in the dentist's chair and started to freak out. One problem that I have with dentist's is that I'm afraid that the Novocaine needle with cause me to v*. During simple cavity fillings I throw massive unbecoming for my age style fits trying not to let the dentist give me the needles or put those little x-ray film bits in your mouth when they take x-rays. Anyway, the dentist gave me the laughing gas and after a few minutes it took effect. I remember laughing at something stupid and the dentist was like, "Yep - it's working." He has said that laughing gas had the ability to heighten the sense of emotion, generally in a pleasant manner. However, when I saw the needles I broke down crying and plead that they would find a different way. In the end I had roughly ten of those given to me, some of them did this zingy feeling that felt like it was in my throat which spurred a lot of anxiety. I was told that as they took effect it might feel like there was something in my throat because of the nerves the Novocaine hit and if that were to happen just to relax and it would go away. I didn't take it too seriously at the time and the laughing gas and Valium mixed together were giving my quite a ride. However, a few minutes later it felt like I had swallowed part of my tongue and even though I knew I hadn't my gag reflex kicked in. The dentist sat me up and... uhg... I have so many issues with throwing up... I can't even stand to think that the dentist gave me a small trashcan in case I were to get sick. However, after years of training myself not to get sick and having not eaten anything I was able to pull it under control pretty quick and I didn't v*. The experience was horrific however, in it's own drugged up way. After that they proceeded to take my wisdom teeth out and put stitches in my mouth and I sat there being drugged and trying my hardest to keep my numbed up tongue pressed against the back of my throat so that I wouldn't swallow any blood. After it was over I went home (of course I had to be driven, there was no way I could have driven myself) and laid down with my head propped up against my bedroom wall so that I wouldn't accidentally swallow any blood. There were these weird tea bag things that the dentist put in my mouth on top of the wounds, and I tried to push them forward a little because I was afraid they would induce gagging. I kept a roll of toilet paper by my bed so that I could take some and spit blood out so that I wouldn't swallow too much. After, like, six hours I woke up and the Novocaine had almost worn off. I went into the living room and watched television while i tried to wake up the rest of my mouth. It sort of felt all throbby and weird, like how your head kind of feels after a bad migraine, but not too uncomfortable. I took this antibiotic (can't remember the name, cyclo something or other) and Vicodin. The next week or so was completely fine, it didn't even hurt so much for me so I only took a couple Vicodin throughout the whole process.

All the meds I mentioned in the paragraph above didn't make me sick or even n*. I usually do okay with medications however.

Out of the whole thing it actually wasn't terrible. There were moments in the drugging that were incredibly pleasant, even as they cut out my teeth. And aside from the brief gagging incident, I didn't v* at all. Actually I think the Valium and the laughing gas made the gagging incident a lot less terrible then it would have been if I were completely sober. Now, when I think about it, the worse part of the whole business was my anxiety and the panic I caused within myself by worrying about it so much. Now it's a year later and everything was fine, is fine. It went by very quickly and with a few precautions nothing incredibly unbearable happened. And I didn't throw up!