Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Wisdom Teeth HELP

Heys guys, I need some support/advice.

I am getting all four of my wisdom teeth taken out in two weeks. I am terrified because when my brother got his taken out a few years back, he threw up at home afterwards. He got the IV and I am only getting the laughing gas.

Have any of you got your wisdom teeth pulled? (P.S. None of them have broken through my skin.

Default Re: Wisdom Teeth HELP

I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled last summer (they were still under the gums too), and never threw up once afterward, never even felt remotely nauseous!

Some people get sick because the deep sedation (the IV drip) makes them queasy or else they suffer from some sort of reaction to it. However, if you have the choice to get the IV, just request some Zofran (a powerful anti-emetic) to be added to the IV drip; that's what I did, and again it made me feel just fine after the procedure was done.

But if you have to choose laughing gas (I really don't see why they wouldn't offer deep sedation, because to me that's the better and more relaxing choice; you should ask about it if you can), then you won't vomit from it as long as the oral surgeon doesn't overdo the amount of NO2 in the gas. The laughing gas doesn't last more than a few seconds in your body after it's turned off, so you shouldn't suffer from any lasting side effects after the operation.

Make sure you stock up on yogurt, Gatorade, water, Jello, and bananas, because you'll only be able to eat soft foods after the first day or so following the operation. You may also want to pick up some Ibuprofen to ease the pain....do not use an Alieve though, because it's a blood-thinner and you need your blood to be able to clot in order to heal the holes in your mouth. But don't worry, the pain afterward isn't that bad at all, it's more like a stiff soreness in your jaw....personally I didn't even need to take a painkiller, my mouth really didn't hurt that much. Be sure to keep your mouth moist too, to avoid dry sockets.

Just take it easy at home after the operation, relax and be as lazy as you want! You'll feel so much better after those wisdom teeth are finally gone and you'll never have to worry about them again.

I'm sure you'll be fine during and after your operation....just ask for some Zofran, eat soft foods, keep your mouth & body hydrated, get some rest afterward, and you should be able to avoid feeling even an ounce of nausea.
    Panic at the thought of doing something is a challenge to do it.

i JUST got back from an appointment with an oral surgeon and i have to get 3 of mine out ( i dont have a 4th one) and he insisted i get put to sleep. i was so scared when he said that bc i had planned on getting local. i asked him if i could get sick from it, and he basically said theres a possiblity from the blood running down that it can cause N*. But he said even if you get local you can still get sick. And i said so its basically just from the blood running back and not the medicine? and he said yes, but very infrequently do they have N* problems with this surgery. He said if you go to the hospital and get general you are more likely to get sick than the general that they use. im still freaking out. im probably going to get mine out in october, so i have some more time to freak out. so im in the same boat as you. PLUS he did say that there are anti emetics they can put in the IV. ask for those??? GOOD LUCK and PLEASE let us know how it went. Cuz im sure ill be posting a panic post about this in a few months or so.....
    Last edited by arora; 08-03-2011 at 03:10 PM.

sorry totally missed the part that you said you were getting laughing gas. so are you getting local and then laughing gas? i wouldnt think that would make you sick....but im sure you can ask for antiemetics just incase

Arora, wouldn't they use that little suction-tube thing to siphon out the blood during the surgery? It doesn't seem like the surgeon would just let the patient swallow tons of blood....they'd probably want to remove it manually anyway just to keep the surgical area clear in the mouth, so that the surgeon can see what she/he's doing. I mean I'm just guessing at this, lol because I was of course asleep when I had my teeth out, but that was always something I thought the surgeon's assistant would take care of. They suction out the excess saliva during non-surgical dental procedures, why shouldn't they suction out excess blood, too? Maybe you could ask your oral surgeon about it. =)

Yea I'm assuming he meant after the surgery? Cuz he said we prevent that by putting gauze in ur mouth. I agree tho they should be suctioning it out. I'm gonna def ask for anti emetics tho just incase. Eek!

Oh you meant afterward! Haha that makes more sense now....yeah the gauze they give you is really absorbent, but it's a pain because you have to keep changing them every 45 minutes or so after you come home. With the gauze, you'll probably only end up swallowing less than a teaspoon amount of blood (especially if you try to drink something with it stuck back there, lol), not nearly enough to make you feel sick though.

I think as long as you don't take the gauze out and lean your head back and literally gulp down the blood, you'll be fine! =)

so your going in the chair? very ulikely you will get sick. highly doubt it. they will suction out the blood durnig the procedure. they will use a special 'surgical sucker' which is very thorough. and if they havnt come through yet he will need to cut the gum away and elevate the tooth out. usually if they havnt come thorugh they are very easy to take out and he may need to put a stitch in which menas there will be no bleeding afterwards. but if he doesnt then keep biting down on gauze and change it every 20 minutes. they generally make sure you stop bleeding before you leave anyway. if theres a lot of it then they will make you stay util it stops. but every person and every mouth is different. but i can definatly guarentee you wont throw up
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

I haven't had my wisdom teeth out, but the majority of my baby teeth and several adult teeth have been pulled/cut out. N* and v* were my biggest concerns as well. I have had a total of probably twelve similar procedures, and never once had an issue with n* or v*. I cannot guarantee this will be the same for you, but laughing gas actually decreases my n* every time I've had it.
    I've been put under general anesthesia many times as well, and while it did n* me, I did not gag or v*, although if I ever get put under again, I will ask for an anti-emetic.
    One thing that I've done as a sort of ritual/precautionary measure is to start fasting a few hours before the doctor's orders tell you to (I assume they do this for wisdom tooth extraction as well, but I could be wrong.)
    In my experience, they generally pack the area with gauze and cotton, which does a pretty good job of keeping bleeding down. Even if you do swallow a moderate amount of blood, things will probably be ok. The sensation of having stitches in the back of your mouth was actually the most unpleasant part of the experience for me, trying not to constantly mess with them was tough.
    TheSweetThinker is spot on as far as what you should do afterwards. Laughing gas tends to wear off quickly and you should have a minimum amount of disorientation after the matter.
    If there is anything else that you think I can answer, please contact me. I hope that this helps, and that your operation goes well.