Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Anyone else associate random pains with emet?

Sometimes my emet is so awful, that even if I get cuts, injuries or other illnesses, I'll panic and think that it's going to make me sick. Does anyone else feel like that? I think I'm becoming a general germaphobe too. Whenever I see an illness I've never heard of, I look it up on Wikipedia and see if the symptoms are nausea/vomiting, then I freak out and think that I might have it (even though I never do, knock on wood)! So here are some experiences I've had:

Last year I got a terrible cut on the bottom of my foot when I stepped on a nail that went through my shoe, then I went to the hospital the next day for my tetanus shot because I was terrified of getting the flesh-eating virus or tet. (What's worse is that there was a woman sitting in front of me at the hospital who was vomiting constantly, I've never felt so beside myself.)

Earlier this winter I would also get severe nosebleeds without any symptom, but I was terrified that I'd swallow the blood and get sick. So I spent 30 minutes pinching my nose and forcing myself to spit every few seconds just to be sure that I wasn't swallowing any blood.

A couple weeks ago I also went on a seadoo and fell off during the ride, swallowing some of the water in the lake then I panicked for the rest of the day hoping I wouldn't get E. Coli or organ damage (because my back was thrown out and I was in terrible pain for a couple days). I was out in the sun all day too, so I slathered on SPF 60 sunscreen and tried to keep myself cool so I wouldn't get sick.

Anyway I was wondering if any of you have experiences where there's something almost completely unrelated to the phobia, yet you somehow associate it with "oh no I hope it doesn't make me vomit"?
    destroy what destroys you

Default Re: Anyone else associate random pains with emet?

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes I am exactly that way, Hun!

yup yup yup

yesterday my big toe was hurting for no reason and then i became worried it was some wierd big toe disease and i would vomit. lol. not only do i also look up certain illness but make up some of my own as well!!
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Haha, I've thought like that before...back in May of this year, I got a nasty cut on my hand between my index finger and thumb (I'd been trying to open up a can of cat food, and the sharp edges of the lid slit through my skin). And this cut was very deep, I could literally see some of the tendons within my hand!

Upon seeing it, I felt my face flush and I grew pale and clammy immediately, kind of like how your face feels right before you vomit...so of course I was terrified that this cut would literally make me sick, lol. But I calmed myself down and realized it was just initial shock that made me feel so clammy and nauseated.

That's another thing I hate about emet, it seems we sometimes can't help but to associate the most random incidents with vomiting. =P
    Panic at the thought of doing something is a challenge to do it.

Totally... Now I'm scared even from the pain of cuts, bruises, and aches in different parts of the body because it might make me nauseous. Blahhh!
    destroy what destroys you

I'm terrified that things might make other people nauseous! Like yesterday my and my sister in law were discussing kneecaps (did you know babies don't have them?) and I showed her how my kneecaps can wiggle, she went 'eww' and put her hands to her face and my first thought was that she was going to vomit! Or if a kid at school cuts themself, I try not to let them see the blood in case it makes them sick.