Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I'm new! Complete emedophobic here!!!

Hey Y'all! I'm Amber, 22, and I live in California. I didn't actually know that emedophobia was an actual fear, and when I told people that I hated throwing up, or heard the sound of it, people just laughed and thought I was completely crazy!!! I just this summer met someone who is emedophobic!! (I've known her for years and years) and it's nice to see that there's others out there like me!! I first became emedophobic when I was 8 years old- I went to the ER because of an asthma attack, (and for those who have asthma, you know what I'm talking about when things get over excentuated when you can't breathe- right?) so there was this woman, who of course-- was next to me, and was V* because she had OD'd on god knows what drug, and it was so loud, that anywhere you went in the hospital you could hear it!!!!!!!!! Seeing it doesn't bother me- as I am visually impaired, so that doesn't bother me. But hearing it, forget it!!! Ever since that day in the ER it's been really bad!!! I don't know if it's just me, but I can't deal with coughing, berping, choaking, or anything of the sort. I won't even go to public rest rooms because I'm afraid that someone will V* in there! I'm in college and avoided college parties like the plague because I was afraid of someone puking, or puking myself. (I don't drink or anything, I mean at the most I'll have a drink and that's it) Not only will I not go into public restrooms, but I won't go to nercing homes or hospitals because I'm scared that someone will puke. I'm also afraid that when I go on an air plane that I will be sitting next to someone who will Vomit!! (I'm not afraid of planes- I've been on them since I was 2)but whenever I hear someone pull out a bag, or cough, I just get really spastic, and my emedophobia kicks in. Whenever I feel like I'm going to puke, I just self-talk myself out of it 'I won't throw up' 'I won't puke' and I just try to breathe. (it does work) I'm scared to puke- I feel like I'm going to die, and I refuse to puke!! I can't do it. When someone pukes, I run away/scream/cry and get out of the room, and run in my bedroom and lock the door, and blast my head phones. I can't even watch movies with puking in it!! I think that's it for now, sounds like I'm not the only one who goes through this!!! My family also laughs at me because of it, and they always try to scare me by making the V* sound, my Dad was the worsed, he'd do it to me on a constent bases, and when I'd freak out, he'd laugh at me and tell me to stop. I don't get why people who aren't emedophobic like us think it's funny/a joke. I mean it would be like telling someone who is afraid of hights that there's nothing to be scared of- and they are just being silly. Um anyways, think I've rambled on enough lol!! Glad I'm not the only one, and I hope to meet some people with similar situations. Amber

Default Re: I'm new! Complete emedophobic here!!!

welcome to the forum. A lot of us, if not all of us, are exactley like you !!
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Hi! Thanks for the welcome! Glad to know I'm not the only one who goes through instances like these!!! Another thing, I refuse to do exposure theripy because it'll definitely make me more scared! Thanks for the welcome, and it's nice to know that this is an actual thing- and that I'm not the only one!

Hi Amber,
    Welcome to the site. Just so you know, emetophobia is spelled with a "t" - lol - at first I thought you might be talking about some other phobia.
    I hope you reconsider the possibility of doing exposure therapy. There are a lot of misconceptions out there about what it is. First of all it isn't the same as "flooding" which is very very scary and I would never do it to anyone although many therapists swear by it. Exposure therapy just means very very slowly and gradually exposing you to what you're afraid of (not vomiting, but things like drawings and pictures and videos and sounds). This helps your brain learn it can only panic when you tell it to, not automatically like now. When I work with clients, I don't ever want their anxiety level to go above 5 out of 10. Preferably 3 or 4. This is not scary and shouldn't make you worse or more scared than you are now. And you never ever have to vomit to get better - that makes no sense. People afraid of dog bites don't have to be bitten by a dog to get over it.
    But I totally get your reluctance. In fact, some therapists call flooding "exposure therapy" and so phobics are scared to death of it. The trick is to choose your therapist very carefully, and don't worry if you have to try more than one to get the help you need.
    Good luck and I hope you get some great advice and support here!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi! Thanks for the welcome! Oh... I see... but hearing it even would scare me lol!!!!! Thanks for the explanation and the differents between the two types. Oops, my mistake, I'll have to fix that lol! Not the worlds best speller lol, thanks for pointing that out! Amber.

Sometimes you have to be scared to overcome the fear. Your mind has to learn that there's nothing to be afraid of by being afraid and then realising that nothing bad is going to happen if you DO hear someone vomit, or if you DO see someone do it. That's the point
    Come visit my history blog:

Hi Amber, welcome! I know what you mean about the sound of vomiting. I HATE it as well. And I also hate the sight of it. I can't handle either. I actually just signed up to take part in a phd study on emetophobia which includes some cognitive behavioural therapy and exposure techniques. Maybe I will let you know what it's like. I'm a little nervous, but hopefully it will help me.

Hey! Woah didn't think/know there were still people replying to this post!! Thanks for all the replies, and yes, please let me know how that program goes- I'm very interested to know! Thanks again everyone, and I'm glad I'm not the only one!! Amber