Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

I understand how CBT deals with the anxiety...but i am curious how it
    deals with the obsessiveness part of this phobia...its on my mind 24/7
    weather or not i am anxious...
    \"Some things I cannot change
    But till I try I\'ll never know
    Too long I\'ve been afraid\"

Aim/aol: baseballplaya123

as u gradually get cyred u will stop thinkin about it as much bcos the problem beco eliminated therefore u have nothing to obsess over, so both these things in the therapy come hand in hand
    \'I know it aint easy, but thats okay because we\'re hopeful....\' - Faith Evans

thats what i thought thanks

See, that is exactly what I am interested in also. I will always fear V***, so many other non-emets do also. But I want to rid the racing thoughts in my head and not think about it 24-7. How do you get over the obsessing over it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

don;t say non-emets fear v because thats not true they don't enjoy it but
    its not something that scares them and most of them say its really not
    that big of a deal...

When I talk to people who don't have this phobia, they tell me that they don't like it either, it tastes awful and their stomach hurts, but who really does like it? But they don't fear it or obsess over it like we do. When they feel sick they would rather have it come up to feel better than fight it to stay down. It is a fight to lose control, we fight to keep that control, make sense? When I was in therapy they were more interested with me washing my hands (OCD)to get over that, to expose myself to someone who is ill with the stomach bug and to see how long I can last without washing my hands and do my SUD's (I think) 1-10 to see where my level was at. Sadly it didn't last long.

Well, OK maybe they don't "fear" it as much as we do but there are lots of people who are not emet and they absolutely hate it and can't deal when their kids are sick... But they do not obsess over V** 24-7 like we do.

Very true. My aunt who isn't afraid of vomiting at all can't be around her son when he is sick.

thats an emet

before i found this site i hated it but never obsessed about it....i mean i
    was afraid and i didnt want it to happen but if it did than there was
    nothing i could do but i would avoid people when they were sick and
    would get anxious when someone around me was sick but i didnt obsess
    over it...dont say everyone hates v because its going to scare people and
    its just not true..i know a lot of people who tell me its not a big deal and
    even one friend who likes to do it because it makes her feel so much
    better.....read the recent posts about people here who have been sick and
    they will tell you that its nothing compared to what we all make it out to
    be...read discos post "just been sick"...

But what you are not understanding is that people can fear it and not be an emet. What makes our phobia is the obsessing part of it coupled with the INTENSE fear. We have an intense fear of it and others who fear it... just fear it, but don't think about it all the time. That doesn't make them an emet. What makes an emet is the worrying all the time and the panic attcks related to it. I didnt consider myself emet until 2 years ago, I just was afraid a little more than some people, but i didnt obsess if my kids got sick or if i felt sick. Now I know the difference. But I really believe that people can fear it but not be considered emets.

okay that i can agree with but the comment that everyone fears it i jsut
    dont think really applys here...i have many friends who couldnt care less
    it....like if it happens it happens and theres nothing they can do about it
    im sure theyd choose against it if possible but if they feel sick they jsut
    let it out they dont fight it off.

I'd say most people dread it, rather than fear it. Some even fear it, but they don't have a phobia, because they do not go to any lengths to avoid it. Avoidance + fear = phobia. Because once you get into avoidance, then the fear intensifies in the brain, and the urge to avoid is greater, and you get into a vicious circle.

Obsessing constantly - even constantly thinking about it is, believe it or not, a way to manage one's anxiety. It's like your brain says "if I am constantly on alert about this, then I can run away from it or otherwise avoid it quickly when the time comes". Of course this isn't true, so it's a useless exercise to be constantly vigilant about it. Also, thinking about something 24/7 in order to avoid something that only happens for 30 seconds every 20 years is just a huge expenditure of energy for very little gain.

The way to treat it, is to work consciously at STOPPINGs the thoughts or obsessive actions, etc...then also work at managing the ensuing anxiety. The other approach is to get at the root of the phobia by working through emotions associated with one's early family life. Whatever the approach, it's a lot of work!

For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.