Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Celexa Side Effects

Hello,
    I was put on Celexa over 6 years ago for depression and anxiety. I was on it for 4 years and the only side effects I got from it was insomnia, dry mouth, and some sexual side effects. I stopped it a year ago because I thought I would be fine without it. I then started to have a severe panic disorder which caused me to panic every 10 mintues and I lost my job, suffered in school and lost 30lbs from not eating because of the emet. I just saw my doctor today and he and I both agreed that starting me back on celexa with klonopin/clonazepam (which I have been on for 6 months) would help me eat again and help me with the anxiety and depression.

Now, it all sounds fine and dandy except this: When I stopped the celexa I screwed up the doses and instead of weaning myself off of it I quit it cold turkey, felt the brain zaps, and the withdrawl full force so I just popped a pill. That night I v* for the first time in 12 years. So of course I am scared about n* and v* on this medication. However, when I first went on it I didnt expierence n* or v* when I took it regularly and on time daily. I guess I'm just looking for a little reeassurance that this medication that was once perfect for me will be perfect for me again without having to worry about my emet coming into it. I know n* is a side effect on EVERYTHING but I need some tips on how to trick myself into not even thinking about it.

Thanks
    Emjay

Default Re: Celexa Side Effects

I just started taking celexa about a month ago and all ive had side effects wise is loss of sex drive. Like I can't orgasm. Other than that nothing. It made me a little tired but no stomach side effects. I think the reason you v* was because you were so off and on with it. You don't wanna stop anti depressants cold turkey. But I think youl be fine now.

x
    This too, shall pass

Thanks stephenie, that helps a lot.

I agree with Stephenie. I think if you take the right doses when you are supposed to, and just follow the instructions, you will be fine. The proof is that it was perfect for you all that time, and the only time it made you unwell was when you didn't follow the right dosage. You will be fine.

I agree with everyone else. It may help to think of it this way: being afraid to take it is what the problem is...if that makes sense. It's your fear talking, in other words, not logic. Quitting a drug like that cold turkey is really really harsh. Starting the drug, however, is pretty simple. Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I loved celexa! Now that I think of it, it was the best anti depressant I took (I have been on 4 different types) I was just a bit dizzy in the beginning. I remember I started taking it August of last year and I went out to watch the meteor shower and it looked like all the stars were moving lol. But that medicine helped a lot.

Good luck with it!

Celexa is the only antidepressant that has worked for me so far, I couldn't take Zoloft because it made me incredibly shaky and nauseous, I honestly felt like i had taken drugs. I've never had any n* attributed to the Celexa at all! I was on it a few years ago, and the only side effect I had then was that at a higher dose I felt almost like a "zombie", like my moods were TOO regulated so I didn't have highs or lows. But now that I'm back on it at a lower dose, that isn't happening at all. The only side effect I get is vivid dreams and some sleep disturbances.

So, no worries! Good luck!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

For me i had trouble finding celexa, i was first prescriped a high dosage of zoloft, which made me feel super sick. Very n*. And then i went off and was put on a lower dosage of celexa. I've been on celexa for a few years so far and i haven't had any side effects.

I did try to get off it for a few months when i felt like it wasn't helping, but then after a few months once it was out of my body, i became really depressed and hopeless again about my emet and my panic disorder hit hard once more. So i started back on it and even though everyday is a struggle i'm less depressed and thats worth it.

I hope you find what works best for you. I know dosage and type or ssri really depend on your body, my body couldnt handle a really high dosage so i went on a lower dosage and it was better.

good luck.

Taking half a pill today (10mg) to start. Wish me luck. And Thank you all.

That's a great place to start. Good luck

I started at 10 mg too, don't remember having side effects! Good luck, let us know how it goes
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!