Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Worst College Fear

I moved into college on Thursday, classes start tomorrow. I was on the facebook group and someone was talking about being sick. They said the campus doctor told her it was a virus going around, she thought it was the food from the dining hall. This makes me nervous to eat, because I don't want to get sick, and it makes me nervous that me or my roommates is going to get it. I'm sharing a suite with 3 other people. Luckily I have my own bedroom but I share a bathroom with one other girl. I don't want to get sick, especially right when classes are starting. What should I do!!!

Default Re: Worst College Fear

Well I don't think there is anything you can do. If you panic about it you will start feeling sick, so I would suggest just keeping calm and going about your normal life. Even if there is a virus going around, it doesn't mean you will catch it. Even if the dining hall food did it, it doesn't mean it will do it again. I think you will be fine.

Default Re: Worst College Fear

You will be fine! When I lived in the dorms, the first 2 years I had a suite with five other girls, and we all shared one bathroom! The first week of school one of them got sick, and none of the rest of us got it because we practiced proper hygiene. The next year, one of them got a virus and none of the five of the rest of us caught it either! Yes, there are a lot more people around when you're living at college, but its just like, say, walking around a city. If you practice the same hygiene you do regularly (washing your hands before you eat/after using the bathroom, etc) you will be just fine!

Also, don't be worried about the food from the dining hall. Colleges have to adhere to all sorts of specifications about cook times and such, and have frequent inspections. If you are really worried, just stay away from the communal "serve yourself" items and stick to the stuff that employees serve for you.

You will be fine!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!