Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Help Me Please :(

Hello, I am a brittish 13 year old girl, suffering from emetophobia.
    I have been emetophobic since i was 6 years old (the last time i was sick)
    Until recently, my emetophobia was never extremely bad...I would start shaking if someone was sick (and once i peed my underwear) and i would feel uncomfortable seeing someone with a stomach ache/feeling sick. I used to eat LOADS, and i mean LOADS. More than my gym-going 18 year old brother!
    11 weeks ago, i started feeling nauseous 24/7. I went completely off my food, eating around 7 dry crackers per day (gluten free due to coeliac disease)
    I said to my mum i was eating more, so she wasnt that worried. I was suicidal with feeling sick, selfharming daily, and Although i havent been physically sick for 7 years, and only twice in my whole life...ive been having this huge fear that im going to be sick.
    Ive been having around a dozen panic attacks daily since then, as the nausea hasnt stopped.
    I have lost a huge amount of weight, now weighing 4 and a half stone (height: 5 Foot)
    I havent been able to sleep at night, and im now finding it really hard to eat...even LOOKING at food makes me feel physically worse.
    I am at a complete loss of what to do, im not eating, im not drinking (fluids make me feel worse so im drinking less than a cup daily) and im crying all day long.
    Im sorry if im rambling a bit, i guess i just need to get it out of my system.
    Do any of you have suggestions on what i can do? Or maybe someone can knock some sense into me...Im seriously HATING life right now.
    Thanks
    Mia.

P.S I'm also anaemic, and OCD (with hand washing...i think of all the nasty germs that could make me sick) I have been ill for 2 years (almost constant, but not nausea...just generally under-the-weather.

Default Re: Help Me Please :(

You really should tell your mom to get you into treatment if you can. Don't be afraid to tell someone what is going on. You need to start eating again because if you don't then you'll only feel worse. Not eating a proper diet contributes to being anemic since you are lacking iron. I thought about killing myself when I was younger because I couldn't stand having this phobia. My parents didn't know what was wrong with me and put me in a hospital. I didn't even know what was going on with me, I felt embarrassed to tell anyone I was afraid of sick. I look back and wish I would have told them what was going on inside my brain. Telling others raises awareness and will get you the help you need. You are 13 years old so your parents are responsible for your health right now. Either ask for professional help, maybe call a teen crisis helpline or become a stronger person and over come it on your own. Good luck, I hope things get better for you.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

You really need to eat and DRINK. Your body is make up primarily of water, so if you don't drink at least 8 cups of water a day, your body can't function efficiently. This is probably one of the huge reasons why you feel so lousy...dehydration can make you feel horribly nauseous. Please, drink a lot more fluids...I promise, that won't make you vomit. If you have to, just take a sip every few minutes throughout the day...that way, you're not chugging your beverages and won't feel sick from drinking too much too fast. And please, tell your Mom about your problem. You can't get better if you don't ask for help.

Where in the UK are you? I cannot remember exactly when my phobia started but i was not much younger than you are. I am now 31 and still struggle with this phobia, last sick when i was 19 (12 years ago) and 12 before that (7 years) everyday i feel sick and think this is the day it will happen. I have not slept yet as i have been panicking all eve. What i will say though is that you must keep busy, go to school etc, see friends, distraction will occupy your mind. I work with self-harming patients and i am sorry that you self harm too - to what extent do you do this? See a psychologist and get to the root of your problems. I am sure that this can be beaten. message me anytime x

I think you need to see a doctor, find out if there's any physical reason for your 24/7 nausea. Especially if you have coeliac, I think that puts you at a higher risk of developing other problems.

If you are 5 foot and 4 and a half stone then im shocked you havent been hospitalized.