Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default People sick on a plane.

Ok so last week I made a couple of posts saying how I was nervous of doing my long-haul flight from London to Brisbane because I didn't want to be next to a sick person.

Well, the time finally came that I was! I couldn't believe it. I have done flights between England and Australia 8 times, and never have I been anywhere near a sick person on a flight. Well, I was on an aisle seat and there was a lady on the next aisle but two seats up who was sick. When I first heard her ask the flight attendant for a sick bag, I nearly died. I was like oh f--k. I turned my ipod straight on and turned it up really high and put the heaviest song I had on so that it would drown out any noise she made. My nerves were absolutely shot. My heart was pounding and I was just panicking so badly. I just tried not to look. I'm not sure if she actually vomited while she was in her seat but I know she definitely vomited a few times in the toilets because I heard her telling the flight attendant. I still had 8 hours of flight left to go at this point, and had already endured it for 2 hours, so I was just freaking right out. I ended up asking the flight attendant if I could move seats. Luckily there was a spare, and it was in one of those extra leg room aisles, and the people in the row weren't sick at all.

On the way out, the flight attendant mentioned that there were a lot of people sick on this flight which made me freak out all the more.

I just had to write about it here because I am still freaked out from it. The rest of the trip I was just on edge and waiting for someone else to throw up. Every cough, sneeze, burp, clearing of the throat, etc, I thought was someone about to vomit. It was ridiculous. I couldn't sit back and enjoy any of the in flight movies because of my ridiculous phobia that makes me so irrational. I never want to fly again because of it.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Default Re: People sick on a plane.

I feel soo bad for you. I'm so sorry that happened it sounds like a real nightmare. I don't think I have any expiriences with that I've only been on a plane once and I was 6. But was it from turbulence or was she sick?
    This too, shall pass

Ah that's horrible! Even non emets wouldn't like to be stuck in that

I've only flown a couple of times, and I'm very thankfully I didn't encounter any v*, although I'm not sure that I'd have noticed, I was really relaxed strangely.

So sorry that this happened, though!
    "I'd rather cross the line and suffer the consequences, than stare at the line for the rest of my life." <3

I've been flying since I was a baby and I can remember seeing someone v* once. I'm not really sure why she v*d. We hadn't left yet and she didn't v* at all later, she even ate. It's definitely unpleasant when someone v*s on a plane. My friend told me she v*d on a plane but I know that it was just because she gets motion sick very easily. Do you know if it was from turbulence or illness?
    I'm sorry this happened.
    That happens sometimes, it's life. It happens, there's nothing you can do to stop it. Life just happens.

I fly pretty frequently, at least a few times a year and until this year I've never seen or heard anyone get sick at all. The first time was a few weeks back and the guy was holding his sick bag and he kept moaning and groaning, so I just put the headphones on and turned the volume up as loud as it could go. Some guy behind me was complaining but my mum explained to the flight attendant and she even gave me some in ear headphones for free. I know how you feel, but people really don't get sick on flights as much as you might think after this. It's annoying, and it makes us anxious, but don't let this stop you from flying in the future.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah, I second what KaydeeJayde says. I fly a LOT (long and short haul, lots of times every year) and have only ever seen two people get sick on planes. Neither was from anything contagious, so it didn't scare me too much (I only really freak if I might catch it!). So try not to be scared to fly!

For me, flying is actually less scary in this regard to other transport for lots of reasons: 1) people don't get travel sick flying as much as they do in boats, coaches etc, 2) there are sick bags in the pocket of every seat so if someone is sick, it is contained and you can't see it, 3) that background noise masks lots of the noise (and as you say, you can listen to music to block the rest!), 4) they are SUPER careful about food hygiene on planes so people don't get fp very often at all and 5) I've heard that if you do get sick, the cabin crew are really nice about it and will look after you.

So for me, it is actually quite relaxing and I really enjoy having nothing to do for hours except watch movies and eat food from those little compartments

For me, long boat trips and holidays to emet-scary places like Africa and India are the hard ones, but I'm slowly working up the courage to do them anyway. I refuse to let this thing stop me from doing what I want!

It seems like generally, a lot of the people on planes are really used to flying for business or other things. So most of them are used to it enough that they don't get sick from the turbulence or movement. Every now and then there will be that one person that does, but it definitely doesn't mean you will! You control your thoughts, always. If you can teach yourself to remember that, you can get through these situations with ease.

But I totally understand how you feel. When you hear someone or see it, it does take a huge toll on your nerves and make you worry. But obviously you got through it, right? Not easily or without stress, but you made it and didn't get sick yourself. You were able to deal with it this time and I'm certain you could again if and when you fly in the future.
    "This is impossible."
    "Only if you believe it is."

"I stood yesterday. I can stand today."

How horrible! I was almost sick on two recent flights and ended up dry heaving in the toilet. I had to ask the flight attendant for meds and everything :-/ awkward. But the reason for that is a whole other issue, I wasn't sick at all. I've been on flights where I've heard (and loudly) people v*, when we were coming in to land. I asked a flight attendant for some ginger beer because I felt queasy and he came back with ginger ale and about four or five sick bags - I was so embaressed because people saw! I quickly shoved them into the seat pocket in front. I was also on a flight where when we landed, some people got on and spoke to someone a few rows back who had apparently been v* - not sure why? they seemed ok. But yeah, I've been on about 22 flights and definately at least 17 or 18 have been v* free.

Ugh it was just horrible. I realise that most people on here are scared of catching a virus and subsequently vomiting themselves, but I am weird and that is not why I was scared of it. I am a very strange case because I am literally only scared of seeing and hearing other people vomit. I hate vomiting myself but I am not scared of it. So it was literally just the thought of having to sit there and hear and see this woman vomiting that made me want to jump out the plane window lol. I kept saying to myself that there is no reason to be scared. I'm sure it was just motion sickness, but for me it doesn't matter why they are vomiting, I'm scared of any reason. I couldn't seem to calm myself down. Eventually after a while of me moving and everything seeming ok in my new seat, I calmed down a lot but I was still very jumpy.

Thanks to everyone who replied though. It's nice to hear your stories and know that you understand how I feel! Pretendworld_ that must have been horrible when you heard someone vomiting on a plane!!! And for anyone else who has, you are very brave because I think I would have cried if I had actually seen or heard this woman be sick. I have flown dozens of times on short flights around 2 hours, and like I said, 8 long haul flights, and only come across a sick person (that I knew of) once. I guess you are all right when you say I shouldn't let it stop me from flying again. I know that it's rare for it to happen, but it's just my stupid irrationality taking over again. Hopefully I will forget about it soon because I have a two hour flight coming up in 2 weeks!

xxx

Wow, this is the reason i hate to fly too. I don't fly too often so lucky for me i haven't been caught next to a sick person. But everytime i fly i'm afraid i will be near the sick people.

Even seeing the sick bag in front of my seat causes me severe anxiety, just knowing its there for that reason. It's ridiculous but its one of the most powerful things.

I'm so sorry you had to be on that plane for so long, i would have hardly made it off that plane.

Just know you are so not alone at all and i'm completely understanding of how you feel. I really hope you are able to fly again, it seems its something you do a lot so i hope it gets easier.

Like reading the responses to this post are causing me to be more anxious and feel worse. I really need to be able to seperate real from a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Whatshername View Post
    Like reading the responses to this post are causing me to be more anxious and feel worse. I really need to be able to seperate real from a story.
    Sorry, I didn't intend this post to make people feel bad. I just had to get it out. I'm glad you understand my situation though. It does feel good to know I'm not alone. On another note, I'm an idiot because I just heard someone cough downstairs and automatically my brain thought someone was going to vomit. Coughs don't even sound like vomiting, but any noise coming from the mouth I seem to associate with vomiting until I fully realise what it is. Stupid, and very annoying!

Oh no no, i wasn't blaming you. I was more just explaining that I know how you feel.

Association is the worst with a phobia, a sound or smell or place can just make you panic so fast because you're afraid something might happen there or something has already happened there, so you associate it with a negative experience.

I've gotten anxious from hearing some one burp or cough, just because you never know, i guess in my head you never know.

Yeah that's true. Today my mum freaked me out because she said she feels sick. I know her stomach often plays up and she can get d* from stomach complications rather than from a virus or something, but I still panicked and thought maybe she might vomit. She didn't. I was just overreacting. I think it's getting worse. I need to do something about this!

This must have been awful! This is one of my most feared situations, as when I was young I v* on a plane (not from motion but was legitimately ill), and it was when we landed, and people were getting off and I remember people watching me. This was in 1997, and in 1998 I had to go on another family holiday and was terrified, didn't eat beforehand and mid flight thought I was going to v* again, turns out it was a normal burp... before these incidences I remember vaguely of seeing someone v* on a flight, but more vividly remember the flight attendant talking to the girl and her being more calm and reassured after (this has unfortunately never helped my phobia what so ever).

Ever since then until 2008 I was too afraid to fly, finally bit the bullet and went on a short flight and was fine. Been on a few since then, 2 hours at most. Every flight perfect.

But - I have to fly to the USA (I'm from Australia) in just under a year for a short course I am doing, and am terrified of being stuck on a plane for 14 hours/going on many flights for travelling before/after the course over there in a different country. I know I won't v* considering I have not v* at all since 1998 so I understand I have complete power in my mind that I wouldn't let that happen, but it still terrifies me seeing/hearing someone do it. Especially in an area where you cannot escape! I know most are ill in the air from movement but it still grosses me out that it happens and I can't escape from it at all.

I won't be alone because my bf and potentially other friends will be with me, but it terrifies me being stuck in such a small space for a long time with people who could potentially v*.. as mentioned just seeing/remembering the 'bags' makes me soooo uneasy. I've never encountered bad turbulence either so am afraid that could happen; I've heard stories from friends about them seeing/hearing people do it in turbulent situations.

I'm slowly getting better with emet situations, well only really with alcohol related situations with other people, but ill/germ/plane situations still very bad, glad I've found a place where people actually understand what has been going on in my brain only my entire life!

I know what you mean monkey_puzzle. Just the fact that you can't escape from it is terrifying. I told my non-emet friend about this today, and she totally understood. She made the point that even for a non-emet this situation is horrible and stressful, but for emets like us it is even worse. There is nothing you can do though. If you have to go to the USA, you have to go to the USA. As I said in my original post, I have done lots of other long haul flights and nothing has ever happened before. Even in turbulence nothing like that has happened before. I think it's probably not THAT common. I'm from Australia too. Where abouts in Australia are you from?

Hi guys, I have just registered on this site because I have a holiday to Paris coming up on Tuesday and I am desperate for a solution to my fear. However what I didn't expect was to find others who have felt the same way as me, especially on planes. I am absolutely terrified of coming into contact with a bad traveller or someone sufferring from a hangover etc. I have flown many times before and had someone ill on the same plane as me. I have sat shaking, sweating, feeling sick myself and each time I end up in such a state that I could genuinely jump from the plane. However many of the flights I have been on have been from really popular tourist destinations during the height of summer when you encounter your 'party goer' the morning after the night before. They seem to forget to stop drinking and then spoil the whole flying experience for others. I have also experienced the consequences of their alcohol poisoning on the bus on the way to the airport.
    So yeah I can safely say that I completely and utterly relate to how you feel. I have to take diazepam before I fly because I make myself so upset worrying about someone being ill on the plane that I nearly need coronary care admittance on landing.
    I wish that I could solve my fear but do feel less of a freak that I now know others in the world also feel similar.
    I am also strange in that as much as being sick myself is hardly a prospect I relish by far and away it is the thought of coming into contact with someone else vomiting that I have issue, regardless if it is through alcohol, illness etc.

Anyway sorry for long post. x

Quote Originally Posted by JoHalle View Post
    I am also strange in that as much as being sick myself is hardly a prospect I relish by far and away it is the thought of coming into contact with someone else vomiting that I have issue, regardless if it is through alcohol, illness etc.

Anyway sorry for long post. x
    EXACTLY the same as me JoHalle!!! I always feel like a bit of an outcast because most people on here fear vomiting themselves or are only scared of the vomit is contagious. But like you, I only fear it if it is someone else, and the reason why they are vomiting does not matter at all for me. ALL of it is scary. Thanks for posting, it's great to know there is someone exactly like me who understands.

Quote Originally Posted by haylz113 View Post
    Ugh it was just horrible. I realise that most people on here are scared of catching a virus and subsequently vomiting themselves, but I am weird and that is not why I was scared of it. I am a very strange case because I am literally only scared of seeing and hearing other people vomit. I hate vomiting myself but I am not scared of it. So it was literally just the thought of having to sit there and hear and see this woman vomiting that made me want to jump out the plane window lol. I kept saying to myself that there is no reason to be scared. I'm sure it was just motion sickness, but for me it doesn't matter why they are vomiting, I'm scared of any reason. I couldn't seem to calm myself down. Eventually after a while of me moving and everything seeming ok in my new seat, I calmed down a lot but I was still very jumpy.
    I am exactly the same as you. Exactly!! Honestly, vomiting-wise, planes are some of the safest ways to travel, I feel
    Come visit my history blog:

Silivrin Guest

I have been flying all my life, my family travels very frequently and usually quite far, but never once have I been in a situation like that. I think once, when I was very young we had just gotten off the plane and a family was crowded around a trash can with a young boy v*ing into a bag. And it scared me, but we passed by quickly. On airplanes (though not as much as with boats and buses) the impending threat of someone being sick is always hanging over my head... And though I try to ignore it, put my music on, watch a movie or go to sleep, I am always so alert to everything that is going on around me. Like you said, every sound anyone makes that sounds remotely like it, any uncomfortable stirring just makes your heart seize up. I think the worst was when someone nearby abruptly leaned forward to reach for something under the seat in front of them. My God, my heart just stopped.
    I think you are so brave for keeping mostly under control during all of that, and I am very glad that it turned out okay in the end.

I fly at least 8-10 times a year since I was a baby and the only time I have ever seen other passangers v* on the plane were on school trips, one on a German exchange and another on my recent tour I went on in the middle east. From this I can tell it's the people who don't/haven't flown much and generally younger people? I'm so sorry about your experience though, you sound very brave for handling it so well!
    Susie

Sorry for late reply Haylz113, I'm from Adelaide, it's nice to meet a fellow Australian with my exact thought pattern, thought I was truly the only one, ha!

JoHalle and Haylz113, I'm the same about being afraid of someone throwing up regardless of illness/alcohol. I should specify after saying I'm getting better with alcohol related situations; I am SLOWLY getting slightly (and I mean very slightly) getting better about being around drunk/hungover people, but I am only getting better with it in bars, nowhere else unfortunately. I can never go to the bathroom after about 9:30pm when out because I know people start getting messy after then.

On planes I too freak when people bend over, or cough, look a bit tired, whatever. It especially scares me being on a plane and seeing someone fish through the magazines in the back of the seats, I always fear they're searching for something else . I'm scared about my long haul flight also because of needing to go to the bathroom. On the flights I've been on, I've never had to go to the bathroom due to the flight duration not being long. I'm scared to walk through the plane and see someone getting sick, or waiting in line for the bathroom and hearing someone sick. Also when I walk out of the plane I can't look at the empty seats in case someone has left something sitting there.

I've heard stories about being hungover on a plane and almost losing it, I just cannot understand how you could do that to yourself and people around you, even if you weren't an emet sufferer I can't say anyone would find it pleasant. I've also heard from someone I know that she hates flying because she always gets sick, and I said why don't you see a doctor to sort out meds to stop it, and she said she didn't want to, even though she flies a lot. How in anyone's mind could they ever get on a plane knowing they get sick but don't do anything about it! It worries me finding more people like this on a plane.

Also another thing that scares me, and is probably the most ridiculous, is how we eat on planes. Obviously if planes were to make everyone sick they wouldn't serve food, but it scares me thinking about people who get sick on planes eating lots of food throughout the flight and throwing it all back up.

This is such a good thread, so happy I finally googled emet and found another world which I thought I only lived in.

Oh my goodness! You poor thing! I have only been on a plane 7 times and I haven't had to experience someone actually getting sick. However, the entire time that I'm on a plane, I'm constantly looking around wondering if somebody is going to get sick.

I'm new to this site, and I'm so happy I joined. People always look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them about my phobia. They just don't understand . I'm so happy I can relate with so many people on here!

Hi Monkey_puzzle, I just want to let you know that the plane bathrooms are small and cramped but they are not that bad. I always get the seats nearby the toilets because there is usually a bit of room where you can stand up and stretch your legs there. I like being able to get up and stretch my legs nearby my seat, and I also don't need to wait in line for the toilet because I just get up when I see there is no one waiting. You can never hear anything anyone is doing in the toilets because there is a lot of background noise from the plane engines and also from people talking and stuff. If you were waiting in line, I don't think you would hear anyone vomiting. I have never smelt anything bad in there either. Obviously people do all sorts of things in there but the air sucks out all the smells and stuff when people flush so it's not bad at all. I think you don't need to worry about the actual toilets.

Also, the food is really nice and I have never felt ill from it or anything. Although it might depend on the airline. I have only flown with Qantas, Singapore, and Etihad. I prefer Singapore. But the food on all of those airlines is nice and good quality. I know that you can never be sure with food, but my experiences have only been good so far.

Where are you going on your long haul flight? And who are you flying with? If they give you the option to choose seats on the website, I would try and choose the type of seat which I got moved to, which is the ones at the front of the cabin section with no other seats in front. This way everyone is behind you so you won't be constantly looking at people wondering if they are going to get sick. It also gives you more leg room and it is easy to get up and walk around in the space in front. And also, it is not far from the toilets so you will be able to see the line and just get up when the toilets are free (they are never as busy as you expect).

Quote Originally Posted by sarahperacchino View Post
    Oh my goodness! You poor thing! I have only been on a plane 7 times and I haven't had to experience someone actually getting sick. However, the entire time that I'm on a plane, I'm constantly looking around wondering if somebody is going to get sick.

I'm new to this site, and I'm so happy I joined. People always look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them about my phobia. They just don't understand . I'm so happy I can relate with so many people on here!
    Welcome! You are definitely not alone!

That is great that you have not had to deal with anyone getting sick on a plane. I never had to until this trip either. And I hope I never have to again!

Quote Originally Posted by haylz113 View Post
    Where are you going on your long haul flight? And who are you flying with? If they give you the option to choose seats on the website, I would try and choose the type of seat which I got moved to, which is the ones at the front of the cabin section with no other seats in front. This way everyone is behind you so you won't be constantly looking at people wondering if they are going to get sick. It also gives you more leg room and it is easy to get up and walk around in the space in front. And also, it is not far from the toilets so you will be able to see the line and just get up when the toilets are free (they are never as busy as you expect).
    We haven't made any plans just yet, but we would presumably be flying to LA or San Fran first, I have to go to either Kansas or Virginia for my course, which if you aren't familiar with America are either in the middle of or on the other side of the country, so there are going to be numerous flights involved, as well as ones to New York and other places we want to visit, figure while we're over there to make it into a big holiday too.

I assume I'd fly with Qantas as I've flown with them before and felt safe. That's great advice, I'm starting to feel better already. I've found sites that show different seating in different planes and have thought about those seats you sat in, I saw reviews from people and they said it was annoying due to mums with babies crying sitting there and was gross next to the bathrooms, but from advice from a fellow emetophobe I think I trust you straight away, I'd rather be sitting amongst babies and a wall rather than the fear of potentially ill people all around me!

There were no babies in my row. There were only 3 seats in the row and I was inbetween 2 middle aged men who did not seem to look sick at all, so I was happy. I guess it depends on how the plane is set out, but there was only one baby and it wasn't really anywhere I could hear it. Because of how the plane was set out, there was no row next to mine directly. It's not really gross sitting near the toilets. I have never found that it smells bad or anything. The flight attendants keep it pretty clean. Perhaps it depends on the airline but on Qantas you should be fine. I have flown 4 long haul flights with Qantas and there was never any sick people on my Qantas flights, and the toilets were always fine. I think you will be fine with Qantas.

Hi guys - just a note that I moved this thread to "Help and Support" mainly because it's kind of a scary thread for many people. I know it may not belong here, and until we all get used to the new setup there may be several threads in this "grey" area. Haylz, I hope it's ok with you!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Oh poor you. It must have been just awful. I havent flown for years because of this phobia. I so want to go to Canada but the thought that someone might be sick, or i might be sick is too frightening :-( If i knew it wasnt a bug i could just about cope with it though would still get very anxious but its also the panic if i were to feel sick and being in an enclosed space and not being able to escape. Always have thoughts like what if i couldnt leave my seat to get to the toilet, or if the toilet was out of order...

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    Hi guys - just a note that I moved this thread to "Help and Support" mainly because it's kind of a scary thread for many people. I know it may not belong here, and until we all get used to the new setup there may be several threads in this "grey" area. Haylz, I hope it's ok with you!
    No probs!!

Also, just thought that I would note that I went on a 2 hour flight from Brisbane to Melbourne today. The whole time I was really nervous that someone around me might get sick. Every time I heard some paper rustle I wondered if it was someone opening a sick bag!!! Not the case at all. No one was sick. I have never seen anyone sick on a short flight anyway though, so I should not have been so nervous.