Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Emetaphobia VS Eating Disorder

When does Emetaphobia cross the line and become an eating disorder?

My phobia started flaring up a few weeks ago when I was sick. Ever since I havnt been eating much and I've practically made myself ill. To the point where I cant physically eat anything. I weighed myself the other day and I'm 9 stone which isnt too bad but considering a few weeks ago I was 10.5 I'm starting to think I may need some help.

Has anyone else had this problem? I love food and my phobia was a distant memory before all of this happened.

I just want to get back to normal :-(

Default Re: Emetaphobia VS Eating Disorder

Hi there,

I don't have this problem because my phobia is more of other people being sick than of myself. But I think there is a very fine line between emetophobia and an eating disorder in cases like yours. I know you are not the only one who feels like this. I think the fact that you are not eating because of your phobia is the reason that it would be more emetophobia rather than an eating disorder. I mean, you aren't starving yourself because you want to be thin, right? It is because you are afraid of being sick? I can't really offer any solid advice because I am not a doctor or anything. In fact, I think the best advice I could give would be to sought the help of a doctor or related professional for this problem. If you continue to lose weight it could be dangerous, and also, it is not a fun way to live. I think professional advice would be the best way to go. In the mean time, I am sure you will get lots of support from the members on this forum. xoxox

Hi, it is called an "atypical" eating disorder. In other words, it's not anorexia or bulimia, but eating is difficult due to anxiety...I have this. I've been hospitalized because of malnutrition...I cannot eat when fearful or anxious. I am quite underweight and have to be careful to make sure I eat enough!! It's very difficult at times...yes, if it gets out of control or you lose too much weight, then you may need help. Take care.

I have it. I dropped to 100 lbs and I'm 5"7', my doctor tried to have me hospitalized. Now I'm teetering on the edge, I HAVE to eat or I'll drop dangerously low (I'm still only 110), but I get very anxious and won't eat for hours. When I don't eat, I feel very ill and very nauseous and weak.

I love food too! It makes me so sad that I can't enjoy it like I used to. If you think your eating might be a problem, you should definitely seek professional help, be it a psychologist or even a nutritionist. Good luck!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

i have the same problem! i had to dropp many lbs because of my emetophobia. but ur nausea will become worse if u let urself starve so try to eat whenever u feel calm. i tell myself i should eat because i'm so afraid to pass out.

its so sad not to enjoy food like everybody else!