Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Support from family

I've been emetophobic for as long as I can remember. Some of my
    Family is more understanding than others. Though I've got to admit my fiancé is absolutely amazing in that department. When I first let him in on my 'secret' he didn't judge me or think I'm a freak or nuts. He tried to
    Understand and do whatever he can to help. So
    My question is who is your support or is there someone who you thought would support and understand you that think you are crazy?

Default Re: Support from family

You know, I always find it saddening to read stories on here about people's families not being supportive or helpful in regard to the person's emetophobia...I can't imagine what that must be like...it's great that your fiance is so understanding.

Personally my mom has always been my greatest supporter when it comes to my phobia; sure, there are times when she understandably loses her temper whenever I'm being completely unreasonable about it, but for the most part she never fails to reassure me (with the kind of surefire reassurance that only a mom can provide) that I'm not sick with anything, and that I'm going to be fine.

The rest of my family found out about my emet quite recently, this past July...and they were more supportive than I'd ever thought they could be! My older cousin hugged me and said, "I've known you all my life, and you hardly ever get sick. Don't worry so much about it!"; my other cousin visited me to talk with me about my fears, and advised me to never resort to pills to take care of the problem (she's one of those people who frowns on using medication to solve mental problems); my aunt called my mom and suggested a psychologist for me, with whom I've already had one therapy session; and my sister provides a comic relief from my phobia, helping me laugh it off even when I'm feeling my worst.

I love them so much for their support.<3 And I really hope that everyone whose families aren't supportive can find understanding and acceptance on here, from everyone on this site. =)
    Panic at the thought of doing something is a challenge to do it.

my wife isnt very supportive with my fear, although she is bipolar.

My mother is my biggest support, she's amazing, I love her to pieces. My boyfriend is also really good about it too. I have a few really good friends who are really supportive and help me when I'm feeling anxious, and the two most amazing ones are my former music teachers who now run the theatre company I'm a part of. I've known them for about ten years now and they're HUGE support when I'm feeling anxious and ave never judged me.

The person I thought would support me but doesn't is my dad. He's just so awful about it and often tells me that I'm only doing it for attention, which hurts so much, I just can't stand it. But the kicker is that I'm meant to accept that he has anger problems when he thinks I fake my emet and anxiety for attention. Not likely. Personally I think he's just an idiot.

It makes me sad to think that other people have to deal with their family not supporting them. I wish that everyone could have a supportive family.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My father is definitely my biggest support. My mother is a support as well, but she gets very easily frustrated and angry with me while my father doesn't. My boyfriend is also really good about it. When I told him it took him a while to understand (I'm not totally sure that he will ever completely "get it"), but he loves me and tries so hard to support me and make me feel better. I do worry sometimes that this phobia will drive him to break up with me, but I try not to think about it. Neither he or my father make me feel bad about being emet.

I also have a great group of friends. Most of them know about the phobia, and if they do judge me they don't show it. A few of them are extremely helpful, and will help me when I'm feeling nervous or sit with me and help me to eat.

I have to fully trust people to tell them about the phobia, so I don't tell many people the extent of it. Because of this I haven't gotten much negative support, besides people saying "nobody likes to throw up". But I can only imagine how I would feel if someone I trusted thought I was a complete loon. I feel terrible that there are people whose families are unsupportive.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

My family isn't supportive at all, my tells me I'm being ridiculous and my dad tells me it's not that bad, it will make me feel better.

My husband is a huge supporter, he's amazing with it and my closet girlfriends totally get it and let me vent to them.