Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default why do we come here?

do you come here to vent or look for help? why not see a shrink instead? i find myself on here in times of need but reading these threads from other suffers do not help. no offense to the creators of this place but what purpose does it serve?

these are all questions i ask myself.

Default Re: why do we come here?

Having people that understand is the main thing for me. And I do see a psychologist and a psychiatrist. Don't underestimate the value of talking to other people that understand what you're going through.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why do you keep coming here if it serves you no purpose? Why don't you just "go see a shrink" instead, especially during "times of need"? Not trying to start a fight or drama, just a legit question that begs to be asked.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

I've been coming on here a lot less lately, but I initially started visiting this site to get help for my own panicky situations relating to this phobia, and to help other people get through their panic attacks as well. And KaydeeJayde is right, it can be so reassuring and convenient to converse with people who completely understand what you're going through.

Professional therapists are recommended of course, but it's not like you can call up your therapist at any time of night during a panic attack; on this site, there's usually someone online who's willing to help you get through a panic attack, no matter what time it is (thanks to the different time zones).

I've also learned a lot from the people on this site, like the best ways to calm yourself down, how to avoid certain viruses, what to do during stressful situations, things like that.

I don't think this site should be used as a crutch or anything, but it sure is helpful and comforting in times of emet-crisis.
    Panic at the thought of doing something is a challenge to do it.

For a lot of people, like myself, this website (the members) are extremely comforting. Why? Because we understand each other, while a majority of people who surround us do not. Most of us DO see shrinks, and a lot of us are on anti-anxiety/depression medications. But having people here for support and people who understand the daily uphill battles we deal with, is comforting and re-assuring. Plus, when we have panic posts, we can reply and assure each other we'll be fine, since we've been through it all and nothing's happened.

Yes, this website can sometimes cause more anxiety, but we read what we choose to read. We all have the option not to read something.. does that make sense? Oops, I don't mean to sound rude. We want to help each other, and everybody is entitled to post on here with their struggles, fears, and panics.

Not to mention, there's always people on this site whether it's the middle of the night or afternoon. There's always people here to help.

Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by barbiegirl View Post
    Why do you keep coming here if it serves you no purpose? Why don't you just "go see a shrink" instead, especially during "times of need"? Not trying to start a fight or drama, just a legit question that begs to be asked.
    Amen. If it's so useless to you, why ARE you here... Interesting.
    Come visit my history blog:

I come here because its nice to know there are people feeling like me and that I'm not crazy or alone

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    Amen. If it's so useless to you, why ARE you here... Interesting.

I understand where the OP is coming from. I don't find this forum helpful for me but I keep coming back because it's addictive. I am curious and find comfort ONLY in the idea everyone thinks on the same page as me when it comes to emet. The stories of family members getting sick, details of how it all went down and anything else doesn't help me. I'm sure the OP has his own reasons for being here whether it helps or not. Maybe he is just now figuring out that it's not working and brings up the question "does it work for you?" It's just a question, no need to stir up controversy or put up your defenses.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

I originally came for support and the comfort of finding there are others like me. Now I come mostly to try to give people a positive outlook on the phobia.

You may find these links helpful!

I like coming here because then I know I'm not alone, and there are actually people out there that understand me.
    no matter how many counsellors or shrinks i go see, its just not the same, they dont understand and never will, however the people here do.
    i dont get lied to here like with my family.

finding this website was the best thing i ever did.

I come here partly to know I'm not alone, partly to expose myself to stories about vomit (I use them as a type of CBT exposure) and also I read people's posts and think what they ought to do, then try to do that myself in similar situations.

it feels good to know that people understand u but its also sad to know that there are people like us... i mean we r so many!! but this forum really release the anxiety and the sadness! i feel really gd supporting people when i feel calm and gd

I have seen a psychologist since I was very small, and still do. This website is a supplement. I come here to get reassurance from others who know what it's like, and take me seriously and do not laugh at me. I also want to help others, but I only look at the panic posts when I am in a good place and know that they will not scare me or be detrimental. That started happening to me a few years ago, so I took a break from the site. Now that I am back, I know how to handle myself better. If I will be scared by the posts, I don't look at them. OP, if you can't handle other people's posts or do not find them helpful...then don't read them! What you get out of this forum is what you make of it.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I come here to find comfort. I don't post often..but I read through this website almost everyday. Reading the posts of other members makes me feel like I am not alone and often times the panicky posts make me see that as terrible as we may think things are...it all turns out ok in the end. This website is a great comfort to me even when I'm doing well...I'm always greatful that I found this place...

I do see a psychologist. I feel like this place helps me keep things in perspective. I also hope that I can offer some help to other sufferers who are maybe not in the same place that I am... yet.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

I think everyone comes on here for different reasons. I come to ask questions that other emets might be able to help with (which they generally can, and I really appreciate their efforts), and also to share solutions that have worked for me, which I hope helps others. We have all learned to deal with different aspects of this phobia, and can really help each other out.

Perhaps you can accept that there are a variety of reasons for using this forum, use it in ways that help you, and ignore the posts you don't want to read or that don't help you? You can usually tell by the thread title what it's going to be about, so it's quite easy to filter out posts you aren't interested in.