Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Hello all!

Smile Hello all!

Hi. I'm new on the forum, so I apologise if I have broken any rules or if this post seems out of place.

I'm a 16 year old girl, and as a child, I was extremely emetophobic. I literally felt like I was in nightmare at the mere mention or suggestion that someone was ill even remotely near me. The worst thing was, when I would occasionally panic at school, my teachers would call me a baby, or stupid, and tell me to 'get over it'. I remember on one occasion refusing to go back into a classroom that one of the other kids had been sick in, and being dragged in by my wrist ( I was kicking and screaming the whole time).

I think this phobia isn't taken as seriously as it should be. Myself and others I have known to have the phobia have been treated in response to their involuntary reactions as being selfish, or attention seeking and the like. It makes me so angry, that people could be so misunderstanding.

However, I'm digressing. I'm not sure how this happened, but somehow, my phobia has almost completely vanished. Compared to being a child, when I would even have recurring nightmares about 'events' that had happened to me, now I am only slightly repulsed by the thought of illness.

Being almost 17 now, I am usually the one looking after those who are ill (such
    as at parties with too much alcohol), even moreso than my friends who had never been emetophobic. I don't know whether this I a huge triumph, or if I had not been as previously emetophobic as I had originally thought.

Either way, it is a great relief for me. And I hope that others are able to fight the phobia in the future.

Default Re: Hello all!

thanks for posting.......gives others some hope
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.